CHOICE rated vacum cleaners, which is best

CHOICE rated vacuum cleaners
As a starting point I am hoping I can get the latest recommendations.
any other suggestions would be appreciated .
Also saw a werthiem brand triple cyclone, which looks excellent but would like comment if you are familiar with this, as it is very expensive
thanks in advance

Redsquash, I do not know about the brand that you mention. But I have had two Dysons, a Hoover and many other brands. The best vacuum cleaner I have had has been my current upright Miele. It was expensive but it is well worth it. At the time of buying, it was the only vacuum cleaner at Harvey Norman not made in China (Miele is still made in Germany). I did not have a good experience with both of my top-of-the-range Dysons, but I believe some people have.

Redsquash, I do not know about the brand that you mention. But I have had two Dysons, a Hoover and many other brands. The best vacuum cleaner I have had has been my current upright Miele. It was expensive but it is well worth it. At the time of buying, it was the only vacuum cleaner at Harvey Norman not made in China (Miele is still made in Germany). I did not have a good experience with both of my top-of-the-range Dysons, but I believe some people have.

I have a Hoover and it's rubbish. After 5 years it has basically disintegrated, bits falling off left, right & centre.

Interesting you didn't like your Dysons, I have lots of friends who swear by them.

I don't claim to be a guru when it comes to vacuum cleaners - but the dyson we've got at home is a beast of a vacuum cleaner.

We've got a pug - and they shed like crazy. The dyson does a good job of sorting it out. The car attachments are great too.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi,
I've been researching vacuums recently as well as I'm about to get a divorce if I don't get the wife a better one soon. I'm not claiming to be an expert but this is what I have concluded after a day of googling.

First of all I would stay away from Wertheim, they are an in house Godfreys brand and Godfreys will always try and sell you there product first because they get the best commission (money in pocket) for their own items.

The two vacuums I personally would recommend is the Miele Cat and Dog or the Dyson Animal. Miele is made in Germany and although they don't look that special always get really good reviews and are reliable. Dyson on the other hand have got a good name but have read that they are now made in China (like everything else these days) and surprisingly have a lot of people out there in the community which criticize the reliability.

The Miele Cat and Dog ($480) is half the price of the Dyson ($960) but I Know my wife has her heart set on the Dyson just because it has a better name. I personally would choose the Miele Cat and Dog.

It all depends on your budget and what type of floor you have. We have a fluffy cat with plenty of carpet hence why we want the Cat and Dog which has the turbo head attachments for scooping up fluff.

What I found interesting is that Godreys doesn't sell the Miele Cat and Dog or the Dyson animal probably because they are so popular but just so happen to have their own Wertheim Cat and Dog version sitting on the shelf to sell to the next Sucker who gets talking into buying it.

Do your research online and then go ask for the vacuum your after, most salesman will sell you the item which makes them the most money and not necessary care about your interests.

Stay away from Wertheim and Godfreys.

I have a Hoover and it's rubbish. After 5 years it has basically disintegrated, bits falling off left, right & centre.

Interesting you didn't like your Dysons, I have lots of friends who swear by them.

Serendip, yes I have some friends who love their Dyson. That's why I said that it has been my experience. My Dysons were great for the first year, and then bits fell off and the motor lost its power. Maybe I was just unlucky. My Miele has never lost power. It's pretty big and bulky, but manouverability is very good. I paid $1000 for it, but it was worth it. Yes, my Hoover started to fall apart after a while.

Wertheim is a well known brand in Europe, for all kinds of appliances .
Godfrey's brand, in Aus
the plastic cases tended to be brittle, and crack.
I worked for Godfrey and they replaced dozens of cases where the front wheels smashed through just from pulling them around the house, just out of warranty.
10 years have passed since then, but, do you want to pay for bottom halves of the case if the plastic hasnt changed.

They (wertheim) always worked great,
Choice says they still do, but Choice does not keep them in use very long,

with dysons, its the filter
attachment.php
'dyson does not have a filter'​
that blocks up and reduces airflow, cleaning this washable filter makes a hell of a difference

Attachments

• dyson_filter.jpg
    dyson_filter.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 342
We got a Roomba and love it, really impressed with it.

Can't wait for them to release the one which vacuums and mops in Aus

I don't claim to be a guru when it comes to vacuum cleaners - but the dyson we've got at home is a beast of a vacuum cleaner.

We've got a pug - and they shed like crazy. The dyson does a good job of sorting it out. The car attachments are great too.

Cheers

Jamie

Mate, I feel your pain on the pug situation! I have one as well, hair everywhere!

I remember when we first got our dyson it pulled up so much pug hair out of the carpet that normal vacuums couldn't get.

The only thing I can say about the dyson is don't try and vacuum up plaster dust etc, it is too fine and gets into the motor. Had to get mine serviced for a few hundred $$$ because of this.

I bought a cheap bag less wet/dry vac I use for my reno work now and leave the dyson for the normal house work

I had two expensive Dysons, both were rubbish. Dyson paid to have the first one fixed, three times, and finally replaced it. That one was exactly the same and wouldn't pick up anything. I find it hard to believe I got two lemons as this was over a year apart, but who knows, maybe I was just unlucky. I would never buy another Dyson upright.

I moved to a Miele which was ok, but having to buy bags was a PITA. I was in Bunnings during our last renovation buying other things, and walked through the vacuum aisle and picked up a Vax Fusion, double dust barrels, supposedly no loss of suction, no bags to buy. I'm happy with it but we only have three rooms with carpet and the timber and tile floors I tend to use a wide duster mop thingy.

Because we only have three carpeted rooms, I'm thinking of buying one of the cordless and rechargeable ones to save having to pull the larger Vax around, plug it in and unplug it. The Dyson Beast has great reviews, but then so did the upright and I managed to get two lemons. I'm still pondering on whether to give the Beast a try. It is $480 wasted if it is as bad as the upright.

Bought the Sterling robot vac at Aldi. Cheap as chips and working well. Love the fact that we just put it on when we leave the house and let it do it's thing. Yes, it can get itself caught but then switches off. No bags and easy to empty.

Best thing is that it gets under furniture more than 10cm clearance. Wonderful for getting under beds.
Marg

I beg to differ on the miele here.
I have used one and it didn't suck better than my cheapie electrolux or phillips or whatever it was.
The thing that really put me off was the ongoing cost of the Miele-branded bags. So expensive, and apparently no generic replacement bags on the market.

I think I've used this one and it was pretty good.
http://www.godfreys.com.au/vacuum-c...s/bagless/hoover-dog-and-cat-powerhead-vacuum
Not sure if it was this one exactly, although it looks like it. The one I'm thinking of was reduced to $99 on their infamous frequent sale days.
I can't believe they would reduce the price to $99 on sale days, that's such a deep discount.
This one did die eventually. Probably when it was choked with pet hair. However, for the price, I was happy with its lifespan.

I've never used a robot (the disc-looking ones). People say they don't suck as well as traditional vacuums, but are handy to use 2 or 3 times a week to cut down your cleaning time.
I'm waiting for the prices to drop from the current exhorbitant $500-$1000 rates. Also waiting for the technology to improve. Currently, reports are that cleaning times are slow, battery life short, and the discs have some trouble navigating rooms.

I've never used a robot (the disc-looking ones). People say they don't suck as well as traditional vacuums, but are handy to use 2 or 3 times a week to cut down your cleaning time.
I'm waiting for the prices to drop from the current exhorbitant $500-$1000 rates. Also waiting for the technology to improve. Currently, reports are that cleaning times are slow, battery life short, and the discs have some trouble navigating rooms.

Miss green eyes, I have an iRobot, and you're right: they don't do a great job but they are good to pick up small stuff and they do cut down on your cleaning time. I don't find the battery life short and it does get into the nooks and crannies, but sometimes it can do one spot 10 times but leave another spot undone. It would be good if it had a dust sensor. You also have to clean it out every time you use it, which I find is a bit of a hassle. It's not good for a deep clean and it's very noisy, but it's okay.

I've had expensive Miele and cheap Dyson. I think both were good but Dyson was cheaper and don't have to buy expensive bags so that would be my preference.

Mate, I feel your pain on the pug situation! I have one as well, hair everywhere!

Pffft, cry me a river gents, I have a Golden Retriever :p

Miss green eyes, I have an iRobot, and you're right: they don't do a great job but they are good to pick up small stuff and they do cut down on your cleaning time. I don't find the battery life short and it does get into the nooks and crannies, but sometimes it can do one spot 10 times but leave another spot undone. It would be good if it had a dust sensor. You also have to clean it out every time you use it, which I find is a bit of a hassle. It's not good for a deep clean and it's very noisy, but it's okay.

Most people I know with the automated ones just use them to keep the house relatively clean until they can do the job properly on the weekend. I have a Choice subscription, and of the bagless (the bagged Miele vacuums always seem to win) the Dyson DC41 seems to be the pick

Yes, I'm waiting for technology to grow up a bit. When they are affordable and a bit more powerful.
They must be handy for cleaning under the bed, cupboards, stuff like that.

Back