Christies beach SA

Peoples thoughts on Christies beach.
Looking at older 3 bedders on 700sqm ish blocks, i have seen some good buys around 260-280k, rent can still be had at $300 pw.
Just wanted to see others opinions on the area and future growth ect.

Thanks Damien

I've kept one eye on Christies beach over the last couple of years, the suburb was rezoned from Residential to Residential Medium Density in November of 2010, and you can already see a couple of 800m2 blocks with 4 courtyards/town-houses on them, I think the suburb has some potential for capital growth due to the expressway duplication, and its proximity to the beach, Noarlunga train station, hospital and westfield shopping, also the state gov has sold off large amounts of X-housing trust stock in the greater area which will over the long term improve the quality of the suburb and surrounds. However one major down side is the lack of jobs in the South, which will hold back large capital growth.

Christies Beach

I have an IP in Seaford which is vitually next suburb on from Chrisites along the coast which the IP is 1 street back from the Esplanade. It is 740sqm and rented easily for $275pw and purchased approx 3 years ago. These suburbs are mentioned in many magazines as future hotspots (top 100 etc etc). In the 3 years I have seen no CG. Talking to REA's in the area about selling the property they have surprisingly!!! said hold on if you can it will happen big time but more patience is required 3 to 5 years when new expressway and train line finished and interstate investors catch on etc etc and where else can you buy 700 to 800 sqm rentable and developable blocks 1 street from espy and beaches within 30 mins of cap city for around $300k? The prices in Chrisities you mentioned seem cheap but just like Seaford, Christies and Pt Noarlunga there are some very average pockets to be avoided e.g. housing trust etc etc. Just like Seaford the west (beachside) of Commercial Road the closer to the beach at Christies is obviously better. So I am hanging on (specutively) and would I get another one in that precint, probably not just in case it doesn't take off and I can't afford to be that patient. Fingers are crossed but all the signs are there beach, transport, schools, shops etc etc.

Interesting thanks, I have noticed prices have almost dropped a bit in the last few years around the southern subburbs, I sold a house in a new estate in noarlunga in 2010 and made a substantial amount, since then the house would have dropped 50k. I've been working in QLD the last 4 years and am looking at purchasing another ip in SA but am concerned about the lack off work. It is a great place to live though with everything in close proximity and the new train line being extended also the expressway.

Had an Engel fridge stolen whilest holidaying there in 2007. Nice place but quite high crime rate I believe. That put me off it a bit.

I've been watching the area for a while. I think prices have dropped slightly over the last 6 months - definitely haven't risen.

There have been a few housing commission houses being sold off relatively cheaply in neighbouring suburbs recently too. A few under $200k in Huntfield Heights.

I think business confidence in the area may be growing. My dad owns a shop on beach rd - they just had the busiest year in the 7 years since owning the place. I know some of the small manufacturing businesses in Lonsdale are struggling though.

Based on your comments I see all the ingredients for this area to pick up eventually. Just look at other regional areas on the sea-side in other capital cities such as Mandurah, Bunbury and Busselton.

Also have been watching and waiting on this suburb. Put in few offers on propeties around the $250k mark in Christie Downs on 800sqm blocks but missed out. Good properties sell quick.

I have purchased elsewhere/interstate as I believe it will grow quicker.

But would still look to purchase in the Christies Beach/Downs area if the price was right.

As many have sugguested it will grow, just when...

I've been watching the area for a while. I think prices have dropped slightly over the last 6 months - definitely haven't risen.

There have been a few housing commission houses being sold off relatively cheaply in neighbouring suburbs recently too. A few under $200k in Huntfield Heights.

I think business confidence in the area may be growing. My dad owns a shop on beach rd - they just had the busiest year in the 7 years since owning the place. I know some of the small manufacturing businesses in Lonsdale are struggling though.
i used to run my business out of lonsdale.It may as well be a ghost town now,the desal plant going into mothballs will not help.The thing that surprises me is the sheer lack of industrial areas down south,which create employment.
Also heard the Noarlunga line is shutting down for 12 months completely,to electrify,so if you rely on the train................

i used to run my business out of lonsdale.It may as well be a ghost town now,the desal plant going into mothballs will not help.The thing that surprises me is the sheer lack of industrial areas down south,which create employment.
Also heard the Noarlunga line is shutting down for 12 months completely,to electrify,so if you rely on the train................

Cheers Jim1964, good news just keeps on coming from South Australia. :rolleyes:

Where did you hear this piece of information as I haven't heard anything about this :confused:

When they did the Adelaide Gawler rail line i'm sure it didn't take anywhere near as long as 12 months.

New routes were created and extra buses put on when this occured so not a total disaster, but south does have bigger traffic congestion problems than north imo, so you really wouldn't want any works hold ups.

It would only be a temporary setback anyway.

Back