City of Moreland & City of Hume (Vic)

Hi guys,

I have 2 IP's, one in each of the shires listed above.

Number 1 is on 605sqm in Glenroy

Number 2 is on 611sqm in Broadmeadows

None of them are on corner blocks, however, just out of curiosity would like to know if it would be possible to build 3 townhouses on either of the blocks.

I have a feeling that they might be a bit too small however i have seen other blocks in the area that appear to be similar in size with 3 townhouses built. I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,

as nomadic suggests, ring and speak to a town planner at each council or visit in perosn.

For what it's worth, it is unlikely that you will achieve that. I am familiar with both areas and councils. The more pro-development of the two is City of Hume, in fact I'm fairly sure that most of Broadmeadows is likely to be changed to a zoning that enables a dwelling to be constructed on any size over 300 sq m without a planning permit, hence hastening the process.

The feeling I get in Broadmeadows is that 700-750 sq m appears to satisfy the council for three, so still well short of the traditional 300 sq m per site.

Still, you could do worse than put a duplex on each of them. Both areas have good amenity and are close to the CBD for the prices involved.

Visit or call council and it may also pay to visit a local (private) town planning firm to see what they think.

Probably not 3

Are they on a secondary or main road? If so, then maybe. If they are in a "normal" residential street, might be optimistic to hope for 3.

If you have the other street addresses where they put down 3, go to this link from the DSE, and you can confirm the size of these other blocks, as well as zoning, any overlays etc...

Anyway, as the others have said, check with the town planning area of each council.

Hi Andrew,

My experience with Hume (pro development) has been 300sqm min - however a visit to the council may not hurt.

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Andrew,

I had a similar sized site, (614m2) not on a corner in the Moreland shire and I shopped it round to 3 different architects all telling me probably 2 maybe 3 units. I then got a great townplanner on board who introduced me to an even better architect and i've just got DA for 6 apartments over 3 levels!

I must say i was shocked at the result and it just goes to show what is possible if you look at all your options.

Good luck
Morty

Hi Andrew,

I had a similar sized site, (614m2) not on a corner in the Moreland shire and I shopped it round to 3 different architects all telling me probably 2 maybe 3 units. I then got a great townplanner on board who introduced me to an even better architect and i've just got DA for 6 apartments over 3 levels!

I must say i was shocked at the result and it just goes to show what is possible if you look at all your options.

Good luck
Morty

Morty, is that residential 1 zoning?

Hi Andrew,

Good luck
Morty

Hi Morty, would you mind Pm'ing me the name of your planner/architect if thats ok with you.

Thanks

Andrew

Back