Claiming on Travel Insurance

I'm in an awkward situation. I have organized an international concert tour at the school that I teach at which involves 30 students travelling to perform in Europe in January. Unfortunately, 3 of the students have since developed anxiety and depression related conditions. (Not caused by the trip, or rehearsals etc).

They are needing to withdraw from the tour, but as the trip has been booked as a group, individual refunds are not possible. Therefore, the parents of the students are wanting to claim on the travel insurance. However, the type of cover we have doesn't allow for claims based on anxiety, depression and nervous disorders.

Would anyone have any ideas as to how the information could best be presented to the insurer to lead to a successful outcome?

I'd guess those individuals will have to see whether their family doctor is prepared to sign off on something that is claimable under the policy.

I highly doubt it, and I certainly wouldn't commit fraud if I was their doctor. What a tricky one, but really perhaps not tricky at all.

I would guess their parents face having paid for a trip that the kids will miss. They surely would have been given a chance to read the policy before signing.

I know when our boy travelled to Japan, we had to sign and commit and any changes were "too bad so sad". Have they paid already?

I'd guess those individuals will have to see whether their family doctor is prepared to sign off on something that is claimable under the policy.

I highly doubt it, and I certainly wouldn't commit fraud if I was their doctor. What a tricky one, but really perhaps not tricky at all.

I would guess their parents face having paid for a trip that the kids will miss. They surely would have been given a chance to read the policy before signing.

I know when our boy travelled to Japan, we had to sign and commit and any changes were "too bad so sad". Have they paid already?

Hi Wylie,

Thanks for your reply.

I wouldn't advise the parents to look for another issue to claim under, unless it was legitimate.

All of the parents signed the travel insurance document which came with a disclaimer below the signature stating that they would only sign if they had read the product disclosure document.

I'd say legally, I'm covered. But still, I don't like to see the parents loose such a lot of money.

The trip was paid in full in September.

Regards Jason.

Back