Class action against banks

GOOD LUCK!:p

I can't believe his legal advice isn't telling him that courts are VERY reluctant to imply terms into contract and will only do so where the following criteria is satisfied:

The term to be implied must be:
- reasonable and equitable (and that's for banks as well, not just borrowers)
- necessary to give business efficacy to the contract (this is where they'll really struggle....)
- So obvious it goes without saying (as will they here....)
- Capable of clear expression
- Must not contradict any express term of the contract (and here)

The law on the implication of terms in contracts is very established and, if you're thinking about chucking $100 bucks this guy's way as he asks, you can read all about it in the case of Codelfa Construction Pty Ltd v State Rail Authority of NSW (1982) 149 CLR 337

I personally, wouldn't bother (giving him money, not reading the case). Banks are in it to make money and are entitled to too. If you sign up at a given rate and on given terms you (generally) can't refer to extraneous factors as to why your bargain should be alterered. This is fundamental to contract law...short of fraud, unconscionability or some other particular exigency, courts won't go rushing around to make things more 'fair'.

i don't know about other mortgage contracts but mine clearly says that bank can vary interest rate at their discretion

not sure where does this imply that they have to sing together with RBA

i don't know about other mortgage contracts but mine clearly says that bank can vary interest rate at their discretion
They all do unless they are fixed for a certain period.

not sure where does this imply that they have to sing together with RBA
The only thing that determines this is market forces / competition. Unfortunately, the big 4 have very little competition at present. People are naturally wary of borrowing from non-bank lenders because they have been stung with closed loan books, higher interest rates (cuts not passed on at all or not in full) & their mortgage having been on-sold.

No I wasn't thinking of chucking money their way as I think its a lost cause.

I see on the news tonight they are saying that people should be fixing their rates now as even if the reserve bank cuts rates further the banks won't be passing any more cuts on.

Back