Cleaning out the PC

Hi All
When one deletes something on their PC for example emails and attachments have they gone forever or are they stored in some other file on the pc.then over time this file must contain mega trash so how can l find this file if there is one and clean it out?
cheers yadreamin

yadreamin said:
Hi All
When one deletes something on their PC for example emails and attachments have they gone forever or are they stored in some other file on the pc.then over time this file must contain mega trash so how can l find this file if there is one and clean it out?
cheers yadreamin

Some programs and OS do not really delete files/entries but just the pointers to them.

What program are you using and/or want to recover or clean ?

Run Ccleaner - it will show you everything listed and then give you the option of flushing it.

RJ

Deleted files go to the recycle bin, which has a maximum size(right click properties), when the size is reached the file is deleted. deleted means the space occupied by the file is marked as available, the data is not altered. Deleted files still remain in readable form on the drive until something else is written to the location they occupied and writes over them. fragments of deleted files remain readable at boundaries almost forever unless 'slack space' is deliberately wiped.
old file 4078 bytes, occupies 1 cluster or allocation unit. deleted and overwritten by a file only 2034 bytes. occupies 1 cluster or allocation unit. snooper programs can read the 2046 bytes of the old file after the eof character of the new file.​
Deleted emails remain in the .dbx file until the file is compacted.

I'd like to know how you get rid of all your old search words.

eg I start typing a word into Google and all other words starting with the same letter/s drop down.

Any ideas?

agent 86 said:
I'd like to know how you get rid of all your old search words.

eg I start typing a word into Google and all other words starting with the same letter/s drop down.

Any ideas?

Heheheh... looking up things we shouldn't be??

I find Firefox's privacy settings very easy to understand and use. Checkout this screen.

I believe it's superior to Internet Explorer and the tabbed browsing is great. It's the nerds choice. Give it a try - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 63
agent 86 said:
Thanks for that Bruce. also did the /clear passwords

Hated them being in view.

Maxwell, I agree with DavMc. I have been using Firefox for 18 months now, and am sold on it. It's functionality, especially the tabs extension, and ad and flash blocking extensions, have won me over completely. There is a drop down tab to clear any private data you choose. If you run the ad and flash blocking, you don't have to mess with with firewalls for that purpose.

In the 18 months, I might have struck 3 sites where I had to revert to using IE6.

DavidMc said:
Heheheh... looking up things we shouldn't be??

Hell no, DavidMc! :D
I pop into the neighbors place and use his computer when he goes out, for that.:D

My computers in a fairly public place and some of the business type searches I do I'd rather not have friends and family see all my interests.
Especially when it could also affect their financial future.:D

What Bruce suggested fixed the problem so being a bit technophobic I will cautiously try Firefox when I've finished this years tax stuff. Thanks.

Back