Clem7 - Are QLDers scared?

I used it to say I have and because its free - I won't be using it after

But I must say, i was very impressed - the ventilation through the tunnel is excellent and your radio works the whole way, despite going under water! I think they've done well...

If I understand it correctly, the tunnel operators actually re-transmit certain stations. eg. In the Melbourne tunnel, a couple of the Geelong stations we listen to will cut out in the tunnel, but have perfect reception above ground.

This is also how they can transmit safety messages across the spectrum without interference.

I rode my bicycle through the tunnel this morning in the Great Brissy Bike Ride.

Man, it feels long. I believe it is just under 5 km.
The ventilation was great at the southern end, but poor on the northern end.

I can understand people being nervous about using it. It was a little claustrophobic, even on the bike.

There's two separate tunnels going each way, 2 lanes each, and hardly any shoulder to stop for breakdowns.

I recall a multi vehicle crash in a Melbourne tunnel about 2 years ago, rear ender, flames, no way out except both ends of the tunnel. If the same thing happened in Clem 7, you'd have to dessert your car and bolt up to 2.5km with very little shoulder.

I seriously wonder what the procidure will be if there is a pile up Clem 7.
Our Lord and Masters just keep parroting the mantra, it is the safest tunnel in Australia. :rolleyes:

And considering it is only 2 lanes each way, I imagine it'll be a short while until traffic jams have motorists crawling through there for 20+ minutes.

I went to drive through on the day it opened. Driving towards it, seeing it come up and a VMS in lights was saying LONG DELAYS - AVOID CLEM7.

And this was on the day of opening. So I drove down to my IP in Logan, and on the way back, instead of hitting the Gateway going north, thought I would try it again.................Even bigger delay, and the variable message signs were all up in lights again.

I suspect once the toll comes in, it will be deserted??

Cheers,

F

The ventilation was great at the southern end, but poor on the northern end.

Most things are better in the southern parts of Brissie :p:D (sorry, couldn't resist, you laid that out for me).

I took my son to a soccer game at Bunya (should have packed a snack) and we went flying past the entry just before the river on the south side. It resembled a one lane carpark :eek: ... nothing moving at all. Cars were lined up like cows waiting to be milked.

I don't think I'd like to be stationary inside a tunnel under a river. I'll wait until the excitement wears off a bit before I give it a go.

My daughter and her two little boys were leaving to drive home tonight and the first thing the four-year-old said was "mum, can we go through the tunnel?" - so I guess the kids like it!

Still haven't tried it out yet.
Marg

there is an emergency exit every 150m or so, not sure where it goes but.

Goes across to the other tunnel - full of traffic. Watch out the you don't get run over - didn't die in the fire but died whilst leaving the emergency exit:eek:

There are pedestrian connections between the northbound and southbound tunnels, and if there is an emergency, people can move into the other tunnel via green painted doors, marked by a large stylised image of a man. There is no way for cars to change direction in the tunnels though.

Cheers

Living in Japan drive through tunnels nearly every day. Most of them on the expressways through mountains although there is one that connect the islands together and goes under the sea.

I was going to give it a try last saturday but when i came up to the south entrance on the pacific motorway I saw a line up to get into the tunnel! No way I was going to go through the tunnel if a carpark had developed all the way to the entrance.

it's because of idiots driving 50 in 80 zone

I don't think that is why everything was at a standstill. Just too many people all wanting to get through a two lane tunnel at once ;).

We went through today, 80 all the way, smooth ride, pretty impressed really. We went to visit the mother-in-law but for free the ICB gets us there just as quickly.

Hubby suggested he wouldn't spend nearly $10 to get to his mother's place. I suggested I would pay $10 NOT to get to his mother's place :p:D.

Back