Closing Threads

There appears to be a lot of threads that get closed for no apparent reason.:confused: WHY IS THIS? I can understand if there is mud slinging or if the thread has gotten offensive in any way, is slanderous etc, but to just close a thread because one of the moderators is sick of it, or it is a popular thread just borders on the rediculous.

If you don't like a thread, then don't go there, but please stop closing threads that others are interested in.

I would like to say, for all the people who have had their threads closed for no good reason. PLEASE RE-OPEN THOSE THREADS.

The one thing I ask is if that threads are closed, please put a small note saying why.

Every time a popular thread gets closed, people start asking questions, fuelling suspicion. :) :eek:

I agree Skates....if time in the market is the catch call of the Somers' investment philosophy, then keeping threads updateable to track time in the market makes sense.....

I often like hearing how someone who bought 2-3 years ago is going today....

There appears to be a lot of threads that get closed for no apparent reason.:confused: WHY IS THIS? I can understand if there is mud slinging or if the thread has gotten offensive in any way, is slanderous etc, but to just close a thread because one of the moderators is sick of it, or it is a popular thread just borders on the rediculous.

If you don't like a thread, then don't go there, but please stop closing threads that others are interested in.

I would like to say, for all the people who have had their threads closed for no good reason. PLEASE RE-OPEN THOSE THREADS.
Threads never get closed because a moderator gets sick of them.......and I'm surprised you would think that skater. :(

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=238826&postcount=5

Threads never get closed because a moderator gets sick of them.......and I'm surprised you would think that skater. :(

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=238826&postcount=5

Following on from your link , while you maybe able to provide a link from the new thread to the old thread , this doesn't solve the problem of continuity from the old thread to the continuation.

Maybe this is something that could be solved by getting whoever created the original thread being able to request a link be inserted into the old thread linking to a new thread of their creation. don't think any one should be able to do that .

Another solution could be allowing the original poster to add posts after requesting a temporary re opening.

I'm sure there are only a few threads where this would be applicable to ( Rocky , Brenda's story , skaters reno , ancourage etc ) , and obviously isn't something that someone could request on any thread.

See Change

It just seems that a lot of threads get closed without anyone giving a reason. Some understandably so, others well, lets say, no good reason.
I really wouldn't say there are a lot of threads skater, I can recall a couple lately but there were valid reasons for them. All closures are discussed by the moderators. If you'd like to state some examples I'm sure I can give you an explanation for their closure.

Maybe this is something that could be solved by getting whoever created the original thread being able to request a link be inserted into the old thread linking to a new thread of their creation. don't think any one should be able to do that .

Another solution could be allowing the original poster to add posts after requesting a temporary re opening.
Great ideas seech.

While I know my reno thread isn't ground breaking news, it was the first of it's kind & it must have inspired others as there are a few doing the rounds now that are similar (maybe not quite as intense). I enjoyed posting the day to day trials & triumphs & I am enjoying the other threads that are logging the process of a reno/development.

I feel this kind of thread is a great tool, not only for the reader, but also for the poster (kinda like thinking out loud & trying not to look like a twat). This kind of thread can help novice's get a feel of what goes on in a reno/development & give them a feel of if they can/want to give it a go themselves.

Judging from the responses of others to the two current reno threads it is something that people want to see catalogued. To see the before & after photos. Some places really do come up beautiful with just a little TLC.

I know I am learning from Micheals development thread & I can't wait for the real fun to begin. Of course I have a little vested interest as I have a block that is suitable for a dual occ, but I'm not ready to do anything just yet, so will be eagerly lapping up all the info as Micheal gives it out. That is one thread that has the potential to be quite large & it would be a shame to cut it down before it comes to it's conclusion.

While the only thing that I have left to add to my thread is the costs & its current status I feel that there could be questions from newbies who look it up when going through some of the older posts or if someone refers back to it for any reason. I certainly don't think it would go on indefinately if allowed to remain open.

Back