Co-ordinating Work When Don't Meet Owner Builder Criteria?

Hi All,

I have just started reading up on the requirements of getting an Owner Builders Certificate thinking I would need it if I was to manage components of a renovation worth over $5000 (over $12 000 requires completion of a course first).

Of interest was the following things that need to be demonstrated to Fair Trading before an Owner Builder Permit can be issued:
1) Over 18 years old - I can just get by on that one :),
2) Own or have an interest in the land / property - got that covered,
3) Do or intend to live in the completed home.

What if you don't intend to live in it? EG - buy and IP, want to manage the reno work and retain it as an IP but don't intend to live in it?

Does anyone know what sort of permit you need to get to do this if not an Owner Builders Permit?

Thanks, MF35

You only have to own the property and intend to (or already) live in it. People's intentions can change due to changing circumstances, after they have ticked a box on a form, for example.

What if you don't intend to live in it? EG - buy and IP, want to manage the reno work and retain it as an IP but don't intend to live in it?
Then strictly speaking you are not entitled to an OB licence.

Does anyone know what sort of permit you need to get to do this if not an Owner Builders Permit?
If the work is under $12K (and yours, according to your post, is only $5K), then you don't need anything.

If it was to be over $12K, you could get a licensed builder to do / manage the work.

Hi All,

I have just started reading up on the requirements of getting an Owner Builders Certificate thinking I would need it if I was to manage components of a renovation worth over $5000 (over $12 000 requires completion of a course first).

Of interest was the following things that need to be demonstrated to Fair Trading before an Owner Builder Permit can be issued:
1) Over 18 years old - I can just get by on that one :),
2) Own or have an interest in the land / property - got that covered,

Thanks, MF35

if you're going to change kitchen and remodel a bathroom - you don't necessarily need a permit unless you are doing structural changes like building a deck or moving structural walls etc.

i wouldn't go down the OB path - too messy. you need to get insurnace if you need to sell the place etc. unless you can establish a significant amount of savings.

Thanks for the replies.

Propertunity I was going off OB Course notes that indicate OB Work is defined as;
- Any work (including supervising and coordinating) involved in the construction of, or alteration, repair or addition to, a dwelling ....
- Where the reasonable market cost of the work (including labour and materials) exceeds $5000,
- That requires a 'development consent' or is a 'complying development'
- And is done by the owner of the land.

It later further indicate that work over $12 000 requires the owner to have completed an approved course. My reno will be over both the 5k & 12k marks.

But based on prior discussion with councils (and in line with what Melbournian said) internal work that does not involve structural change does not require council approval of any kind. So as long as you use licensed builders for the structural / external work the rest (kitchen bathroom fit out etc) could simply be done / coordinated by the owner.

I just want to be able to co-ordinate the smaller parts of the reno and leave the builder to do the structural work. In which case, I probably don't need any OB Permits or Permits / approval of any kind (other than the CDC / approval for the construction / structural work to be completed by the builder of course).

Back