Colorbond Fencing + Asbestos fence removal + Neighbours paying

1. Where is the best place to buy colorbond fencing and have someone install it?
A big place like Bluescope or smaller fencing companies?

2. One of my boundary fences is asbestos. Its such a low fence so must be replaced. How much on average does it cost to have it removed properly? Its around 20 metres long.

3. I was reading the laws pertaining to boundary fences and it says that each house must pay half the cost. What if they refuse to pay? Im going to take a guess that they dont care about the fences since they've had these 1 metre high fences up forever, so they'll just tell us to replace them if we want but then they get the benefits! What can i do in that situation?

1. Where is the best place to buy colorbond fencing and have someone install it?
A big place like Bluescope or smaller fencing companies?
Best to look up Fencing Contractors in the Yellow Pages or the Classified adverts in the local Central Coast Express under Trades. They will buy off the bigger suppliers / hardware stores at their trade prices. Just get 3 quotes like any investor :)

2. One of my boundary fences is asbestos. Its such a low fence so must be replaced. How much on average does it cost to have it removed properly? Its around 20 metres long.
Get the same fencing contractors in 1. to quote. They will be doing it on a regular basis. The the Wyong Shire council will charge them to put in a sep. place at the local tip - probably Buttonderry.

3. I was reading the laws pertaining to boundary fences and it says that each house must pay half the cost. What if they refuse to pay? Im going to take a guess that they dont care about the fences since they've had these 1 metre high fences up forever, so they'll just tell us to replace them if we want but then they get the benefits! What can i do in that situation?
Well the laws also say that this 1/2 share kicks in if the fence is damaged or in need of repair and only to what is considered normal for the area. From your post it doesn't look like they need repair - you are just unhappy with their height.......and they are probably average for the area..........so you don't / won't have much legal standing here. BUT a friendly neighbourhood chat over said fence could go a long way to creating good relations. Good relations always tend to help each other out and they might share the cost just out of good-will. Never know till you try.

All the best with the new home btw.

Having been a fencing/landscape contractor on the Central Coast for nearly 15 years until 2004 I would recommend giving G & L Fencing a call on 02 4353 6444 ask for Leonie or Geoff and tell 'em Thorpey sent you.....;)

But aren't you from Sydney...?:confused:

You might find asbestos removal needs to be done by liscenced contractors...."asbestos removal contractors" that is......

As far as the dividing fences act goes...I'd have a read of it, but also put in an enquiry to Council as well....anonomously of course...;)

In my time as a fencer on the Central Coast, I rarely saw a "friendly" neighbour chat about the dividing fence....it's the one thing that will get hairs on necks to stand upright.... lol.

A word of advice....a fencer will need you (the instigator) to pay the whole amount and then you claim from your neighbour.....otherwise us fencers would be in court continuously....:D

Back