Come on ASX - get your *ss up

My Son did the ASX Game last year, I also pointed out to him that it's a gambling game over such a short period...it's not investing :rolleyes:

They might be encouraging the students to research blue-chip businesses with strong earnings prospects, low debt levels or high returns on total capital, but it may just be a speculative play or two that wins the short term game...the lesson?

I hear your point, but I think that anything that exposes children/teens to the concept of investing (even if it is a slightly skewed version of reality) is a good thing.

On the whole, the national Maths curriculum does very little to teach good financial literacy - my Year 9s can solve algebraic equations, but were horrified the other day when I explained the concept of 'income tax' to them! :eek: They were saying things like "what do you mean that we don't get to keep all the money that we earn?". Just the concept blew them away!

And, while a 10-week game might not do a lot to teach them about long term investing, it certainly does teach them about trading (and many people see that as a very valid way of making big $$$). The fact that they are learning to read graphs, analyse data to make predictions, learning from their mistakes, and even getting to feel the highs/lows that go with losing and gaining 'pretend' money is a great thing. Even discussing the pro's and con's of investing in the share market, as opposed to putting money into a bank account, and talking about risk and strategy is a wonderful thing to encourage (IMO only).

Thanks for listening to me get on my soap box :eek:
KayTea

I hear you KayTea

I'd much rather they did "Personal Finance" though, I think JamesGG and Lil Skater were looking at something years ago at about the same time that other similar school based concepts started to roll out.

Good Debt & Bad Debt, the true cost of, spending & saving, compound interest, credit cards, long term investing, dangers of get rich quick scheme's, taxes, the true costs of 2% fees etc etc

How do you win one of these stockmarket games, is it through applying solid investment strategies, or is it predominantly by taking a chance with volatility?

Don't forget the experiment that concluded that Monkeys are better stock pickers than Fund Managers ;)

You start with $50,000.00 in the Game - How did you acquire that amount of money to start with? That amount would seem huge to the average high school kid to begin with.

Learning about the market is great, its the short term 'game' I'm not so sure about

images

I wasn't really really wondering "why"... it is what it is ... I just want it to improve :D and was curious if there "was" a why.

Again CCL was the surprise considering how many chips and coke I see in supermarket shopping trolleys

CCL will take several years to get its 'mojo' back.

They have some serious structural issues on their pricing that they will need to overcome.
This will not be a quick fix.

I am not interested in CCL until it reaches a stock price of around $6.50:eek:

With the market today, I feel doomed. I am holding BHP and ANZ. Could be black October or GFC II around the corner

Well the bank stocks should stabilise once the overseas hedge funds have finished selling out in response to the falling exchange rate. At some point we should see buyers returning to take advantage of cheaper shares.
With current rates in Australia and the cpi rate what it is cash holders are going backwards so may still be enticed into buying dividend bearing shares.

With the market today, I feel doomed. I am holding BHP and ANZ. Could be black October or GFC II around the corner

I had the same feeling 30 days ago so sold my complete portfolio when the ASX200 was at 5623 and since then it had a small rise to peak at 5658 in early Sep but then its all been down hill since then to 5413 and today at 5433.

I have/had no idea and don't do any of the technical analysis just wanted to make some of my paper gains since 2009 materialise into some hard cash for a while.

My feeling is the US is close to removing its government post GFC stimulus and with China not doing much this is having a major impact on the local sheep (ASX).

Got out of BHP @ 39.605 so pretty happy looking at todays price.

The question that many would be asking is how far will the market with the randomness in worldwide currency fluctuations and so much economic inequality I think it's the start of the perfect storm..

imageChart.axd

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bu...058753325?nk=ae8d35885c50a9d67595e396ebb57ea2

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/us/heirs-to-an-oil-fortune-join-the-divestment-drive.html

Last edited:
The question that many would be asking is how far will the market with the randomness in worldwide currency fluctuations and so much economic inequality I think it's the start of the perfect storm..
Perfect Storm as in another major crash?

I wasn't really really wondering "why"... it is what it is ... I just want it to improve :D and was curious if there "was" a why.
Lizzy, I attended a seminar sometime ago where the ASX experts illustrated, how China's economy went up that year yet stock there went down, Japan same year economy did poorly yet stocks went up there, and so on across the board. Basically, one lady said the market does not act the same way as the economy does, people act irrationally and emotionally!
Emotion not logic, plays a big role and since we have no control over the powerful investors switching from one industry or stock to another than may I suggest that setting stop losses to protect your money your capital is what you should concentrate on!
Basically the moment you enter the stock you set a stop loss and each day you would adjust that. Basically you set yourself a benchmark of how much of a loss you can tolerate to protect your capital, that may be 5%, or 10%, or 20% or whatever you are comfortable with. Say you are comfortable with a 15% loss than after each close of the day, when your stock moved up you would adjust to 15% loss based on that price, if the stock moved down below 15% you would be out. If it lost less than 15% or didn't move, well you will have a sell order in the market to protect to lose only that much.
I was told at one seminar that capital protection is more important than buying the actual stock, as also knowing when to sell rather than actual buying.... Basically you have control over your capital so you do not loose too much, or what you can live with!
Again CCL was the surprise considering how many chips and coke I see in supermarket shopping trolleys
Same point again, basically, the market does not act the same way as the economy does, people act irrationally and emotionally! So do not spend time worrying why or how but rather protect your capital the moment you enter the market. The interesting thing with shares is that when the shares are held for long time they become more volatile and fluctuate more in prices whereas the property acts the opposite way, the longer you hold the more likely there will be some growth, right?:)

Back