How does this sound?

Office

$500,000

92 sqm

$328/m2

Tenant in place

3x3 Lease

6.0% net return

It is in a prime location. Return could be better I know, as I have an Industrial currently returning 8.0% net after purchasing 8 months ago.

Some immediate questions pop into my mind:

how long does the lease have left to run?

How does the $/sqm rate compare when compared with other sales of office space in the area?

How does the rent $/sqm compare when comparing with other rentals of similar sized office space in the area?

What provisions for rent increases are included in the rent?

Is that rent a gross rent or a net rent?

What are the tenant's plans after the initial 3 year term expires?

Can you afford to hold it without a tenant if the tenant doesn't excercise his option after the first 3 year term expires?

Does it include parking?

Is the tenant paying for the parking as part of the $/sqm?

Aside from needing answers to the above, I wouldn't look at it with a 6.% return...not enough for my liking.

hi HOUSE5
I would add
is it cbd and whats the current and expected growth for the area.
6% is low but if its got a 6% annual increase then would have to depend if I need the property as it was a key to a development.
but as a stand alone purchase it needs to be in the area of 8 to 9% and thats cbd.
so it would not be for me unless it had something added to it that you want.

I'm embarrassed to say I can't answer many of these questions.

Some immediate questions pop into my mind:

how long does the lease have left to run? I think it was a full 3x3 (don't know for sure, OK that's something I need to get down on paper)

How does the $/sqm rate compare when compared with other sales of office space in the area? Not much around to compare it with. I plan on start looking for some to do some comparisons next week.

How does the rent $/sqm compare when comparing with other rentals of similar sized office space in the area? I haven't checked, YET.

What provisions for rent increases are included in the rent? I don't know.

Is that rent a gross rent or a net rent? Net +gst + all outgoings

What are the tenant's plans after the initial 3 year term expires? I don't know.

Can you afford to hold it without a tenant if the tenant doesn't excercise his option after the first 3 year term expires? OK, I need to do the figures for that one.

Does it include parking? Yes, 2 spaces.

Is the tenant paying for the parking as part of the $/sqm? I don't know. Not as far as I know.

Aside from needing answers to the above, I wouldn't look at it with a 6.% return...not enough for my liking. You are probably right.
It is a strata titled office and cannot be developed further.(which addresses grossreals comment also. I also need to find out the expected growth for the area

OK, my homework for this weekend and next week is to answer all of those questions and then I will return with all the answers.

Thanks JoannaK and grossreal.

What a great place to learn, Thanks

hi HOUSE5
never feel embarrassed to learn
we can not know everything and always ask questions
ask anything you like as long as you accept that some will be no.
learning anyfield takes time and commercial is an area that is not explored by alot of investors.

Back