Community Title Water Usage

We own a property sharing the water meter with another home with a community title agreement in place.Today i get a letter from the rear owner.....
As we only use the home periodically,would you agree to us paying 25% of the water use and us paying 75% as we have a full time tenant in place.......OR........A second meter be installed at a cost of $2100 and divide the cost of doing this between them and us.
Any other members experienced this?I would have thought a second water meter would be their cost in full,if they choose to do this.The water bill is actually minimal,and the cost of another meter will certainly out weigh the actual cost(50%) of the water usage.

There may also be council implications as to rates etc.
Check it all out before agreeing to any change to the current system. Agreeing to pay 75% is fraught with long term complications.
A.

Tell em they're dreaming!

I'm sure there's some neighbourhood act that governs this in your state, but I would just say no to both options, and let them pay for the meter install if that's what they want to do.

Or you could offer to compromise a 60/40 split if it will save arguments?

I think these people "R Deamin" as well.They want it both ways.They bought the property with a 50/50 water split,and now want to change it to suit themselves.Because they do not live there isnt my problem.

A little tricky in as much as they may decide to visit and leave a tap running when they leave just to nark you. (even though it costs them as well)

I would be inclined to say I am happy the way it is but if they want to put in a meter I will pay one third of the cost.

If they put tenants in, the water would have to be included in the rent and you would be responsible for half of the tenants usage.

I have discussed this with PMs and they say tenants with power and water included tend to use LOTS !!

Back