Compact Fluroescent Downlights

Hiya
An architect friend has recommended compact fluroscent downlights, does anyone have any advice regarding them? He says that even though they are more expensive they are more energy efficient, more powerful, dont give off heat etc. However, I have been told by an electrician that they are not very good.... I'm confused! Scroll down a bit on the link......
http://environmentshop.com.au/Products.asp?CID=121&SCID=205

Thanks again

They're quite pricey from that website. You could probably source them for $30...which is still quite pricey, but then the cost savings will be recouped in the first year.

Our neighbour has compact fluros in their kitchen and it takes a couple of minutes for the room to be completely lit!

-- MJ.

A decent brand halogen downlight will set you back about $25-$30 dollars, although you can get cheaper ones (transformers are not as good apparently). If this is the case then the flouro's costs as comparable. There would be other benefits too.

I am looking at NOT installing halogens in our next spec; problems with overheating transformers when you need insulation in the roof cavity as we do here. I have yet to do the rounds and see what is out there that is 'green' and doesn't need to be opened into the roof cavity (sick of bugs).

Let me know how you go!

we are using a few of these, no transformer and cheap.

RO80
1 light downlight
Category: Interior Downlights
Item Code: 170161
RRP: $9.95
5.5 inch downlight to take R80 reflector globe in brushed chrome.

The R80 energy saving bulb's are about $10-00

Apparently now we have to have 40% energy saving light's in a new build, but as much A/C as we like.

BB

Attachments

• 170161.gif
    170161.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 62
We are just putting around 120 lights in our house (it had no lighting before). We are putting a combination of fluor and halogens. The fluoros are larger style (take edison screw fluoros) but they have frosted glass covers. They look really nice in the corners and around edges of rooms, washing the walls really nicely. We really like the combined effect of them with the halogens. We were originally looking at getting the halogen replacement fluoros but the ones I saw didn't give the brightness I was after - so we went to the bigger ES fittings.

Back