Competing rights - the reclining seat on a flight

As much as I sympathize with Dazz,
it is still the person's right to recline their seat.
I only do it myself on long hauls...but I'd be pretty upset if I decided to do it on a short flight, and someone tried to give me grief about it.

If buying 2 tickets, the shorter person could sit in the seat in front of the taller one...on the aisle if they wanted to still be close, could be a solution.

Bird flu...that's a good way to possibly cause a panic...if others are listening.

Dazz has been given a few good ways to avoid this situation in the future.
At least being tall, he doesn't struggle putting things in the overhead compartments.

Advantages and disadvantages with every height.

IMO i have more cons than pros with being tall
i have back problems,
im always required to get stuff from the tall cupboards
everything is too short for me - probably creating my back problems
try doing the dishes leaning forward 45° it gets uncomfortable
also doing anything on the kitchen benches

saying that id hate to be short
who wants there head around everyone bodies least i can get some fresh air

Hey there OO - yep still working in woop woop but living in Perth now. Just started getting into the photography again after a long while. How are things with you?

Hey there OO - yep still working in woop woop but living in Perth now. Just started getting into the photography again after a long while. How are things with you?

So experience of the east coast, and now the west...nice. Should be some beautiful pictures come from there.

Life is good, spending a bit of time (on planes!:)) in the States, (mainly California), sometime in Land of Oz. Headed to NZ soon.... My camera died in Tasmania. Haven't made time to research/replace it yet, feel like I'm missing my right arm....

Have fun over there in the wild wild west.

This is actually against staff policy. It states in the regulations that staff are not allowed to ask customers to change seats. They should have been reported. I can't believe they put the kids by themselves when the parents could have been seated next to them. Maybe the parents decided they would be together. ;)

How do you know they arrived late? I doubt that was the case. Staff have to wait until everyone has checked in (unless there are heaps of empty seats). THEN they are told if there are any seats available. It's called standby.

I didn't know they arrived late, I'd just figured since everyone was sitting there waiting and then this family comes striding aboard, flustered and sweaty...

The lady who was repeatedly asked to move said she was going to make a written complaint to Qantas. I would too, I thought their behaviour was really bad.

If I'm in economy - which I am most of the time if flying domestic - I fly knowing that I take the risk of an uncomfortable flight. Apart from meal services every one has the same right to fully recline their seat. The airlines squish so many seats into the economy cabin that this means very little personal space. That's the trade off for being able to fly so cheaply these days.

I'm a bit perplexed by talk of courtesy when someone is doing something that all are entitled to - yet purposely sticking your legs into the back of someone's seat (and much worse) appears to be condoned..?

I'm a bit perplexed by talk of courtesy when someone is doing something that all are entitled to - yet purposely sticking your legs into the back of someone's seat (and much worse) appears to be condoned..?

Part of the wider "me, me, me" mindset that is becoming common.

Someone has done something within their rights which I am upset about, so I am going to act like a petulant brat.

If I'm in economy - which I am most of the time if flying domestic - I fly knowing that I take the risk of an uncomfortable flight. Apart from meal services every one has the same right to fully recline their seat. The airlines squish so many seats into the economy cabin that this means very little personal space. That's the trade off for being able to fly so cheaply these days.

I'll admit that being a tall person makes me biased on this issue, but...

I don't understand WHY people need to recline their seats on relatively short, daytime flights. Reclining your seat might make a journey more confortable, but makes it much less comfortable for the person behind you, especially if they are a tallish person.

seats back an hour in, i get. you are tired, you need to chill. but to slam it back immediately is just rude.

Totally agree with this.

On one of our flights last year, the seatbelt light went off shortly after take off, so a girl sitting next to me reached down to get something out of her handbag (which she had placed under the seat in front of her). At the same time, the guy in front of her slams his seat back. I mean, he SLAMS it!

Knocked her head back some! Asked her if she was OK and she hesitantly said yes. Could have throttled the guy in front, but figured it wouldn't have been worth the possible arrest upon landing.

Lesson: Don't reach for anything under the seat in front just after take off.

Dazz: don't know if this has been mentioned already (and you probably already know this), but if the flight is not full, you can usually change seats if you ask. I know they say you have to be in your designated seat for take off and landing, but I've never seen a flight attendant enforce this rule.

Someone has done something within their rights which I am upset about, so I am going to act like a petulant brat.

Exactly.

RyanAir have the right idea to stop this mentality: NO reclinable seats!

Actually I'm perfectly within my rights to have my knees in the back of someones chair (do 2 rights make a wrong?) in fact that is the natural position of my legs knees into chair in front unless I deliberatly move them in an effort to get more comfortable in which case the lowering of the chair in front removing option for me to have my legs together is a great inconvenience and being a selfish ***** I try to prevent that.

All in all I'd be happy to pay say 15% more for a seat and corresponding space 15% greater however since in determining the "average" seating requirement I suspect they added up an average man, woman and child and divided by 3 to get that cozy size we all know and love I doubt that will happen anytime soon and I don't travel often enough or for long enough durations to justify flying non cattle class.

Bloody hilarious jsutifications & reading here !

Seat goes back,e xpect seat to be pushed back !

If you don't want to be in that position, do somethign to avoid= it

Start a protest about it or somethign, occupy QANTAS - afterall it is so bloody serious that someone should

LMAO

Actually I'm perfectly within my rights to have my knees in the back of someones chair (do 2 rights make a wrong?) in fact that is the natural position of my legs knees into chair in front unless I deliberatly move them in an effort to get more comfortable in which case the lowering of the chair in front removing option for me to have my legs together is a great inconvenience and being a selfish ***** I try to prevent that.

All in all I'd be happy to pay say 15% more for a seat and corresponding space 15% greater however since in determining the "average" seating requirement I suspect they added up an average man, woman and child and divided by 3 to get that cozy size we all know and love I doubt that will happen anytime soon and I don't travel often enough or for long enough durations to justify flying non cattle class.

Oh, fair points and all.

But it doesn't get away from the irony of people complaining about people infringing on their rights and resorting to infringing on others rights.

And then blaming the other party for only thinking about themselves :D

Bloody hilarious jsutifications & reading here !

Seat goes back,e xpect seat to be pushed back !

If you don't want to be in that position, do somethign to avoid= it

Start a protest about it or somethign, occupy QANTAS - afterall it is so bloody serious that someone should

LMAO

I do something to avoid it Jaycee - I stick my knees in the chair in front until I'm relatively certain they won't try to lower it. As for occupying anything I'm far to lazy and busy (nice oxymoron there huh - lazy in that I can't be bothered vegetating in one place hoping my comatose state and growing body odour will offend people enough to change the way things are run and busy because I have a job and life) to do that. I wasn't trying to justify what I do I was just sharing what I do to avoid being reclined upon - justifying it would imply I'm doing something wrong.

So I do what I usually do which is work within the bounds of the system using whatever methods are legal and meet my selfish but rather civil code of ethics to achieve the best outcome for..... well me (have I mentioned I can be selfish?).

Oh, fair points and all.

But it doesn't get away from the irony of people complaining about people infringing on their rights and resorting to infringing on others rights.

And then blaming the other party for only thinking about themselves :D

Also a fair call which is why I don't complain about others infringing on my rights I do something to keep or reclaim them or I shut up and take it.

Back