Opinions on staffing crisis in a small business

I've often thought I need a wife. They sound so useful. Lynchpin of the business, a right hand person to do everything, and so cheap to keep unless they get uppity and want $$ for their contribution.

I think that was my ex-husband's idea too.

Two groups are still on holidays but have emailed me to say that they will get back to me this week.

One group has quoted 20k for initial visit and assessment and 4k per month ongoing fee for management. I am not sure that my microbusiness can justify this.

Does seem a bit steep, particularly the ongoing fee - at 48k p.a. you could have a part-time on-site practice manager instead.

Depends on what exactly they will be doing for this fee.

Might be better to do an initial review/assessment/plan and staff training, with some basic training on backend billing procedures and staff management for yourself too, and then see how you go.

If all staff are trained, as long as they all don't dislike you and leave at the same time you should be ok.

Last edited:
And, getting staff to like you is pretty easy, and free.
Not necessarily - I think China has alluded to the fact that 1) he is not a 'people person' and 2) is not prepared to change.
Not a fantastic indicator that he would suddenly find it simple to get his staff to like him, whether there was bribery involved or not.

Not necessarily - I think China has alluded to the fact that 1) he is not a 'people person' and 2) is not prepared to change.
Not a fantastic indicator that he would suddenly find it simple to get his staff to like him, whether there was bribery involved or not.
If everyone acted the way they really wanted to, there would be a lot more crime and violence around the world.

I have been biting my tongue for the sake of getting along with folks for my whole life - just like most of us here.

I'm not a people person either; I don't like a lot of our race generally, but I've learned to adapt and get through life reasonably well at it, and I'm no genius.

Yes; it can be hard to be cordial and cheery and so on, but it's part of running a business with staff who sometimes let you down, and hi-maintenance and rude customers who you simply want to stick in the eye with an ice-pick.

About 6 times a day I want to commit murder, but have managed to avoid it so far. :D

That's the trick of the civilised and educated human supposedly; to embrace the necessary social behaviours, etiquettes and rules that allow you to get through life and get along with folk etc, and be a class person...a dying skill if you ask me.

If you can't adopt the above, then you usually end up having difficulties, and end up creating a thread here asking for help to find/keep staff.

We as a species are supposed to be evolving to a better model. I don't see that occurring - the reverse is occurring.

I suggest China spend some of his million in the bank on management classes and workshops.

Last edited:
Better than I had thought it would be. The basic functions are getting sorted. "Jane" has stepped up although immediately took the opportunity to get a pay rise. It will take a lot of time to retrain to same level of skillset as Mary if I ever get there.

After talking to practice management firms I decided that they did not offer value for their fee. All of them really are useful for helping people get started but not really ongoing management. For the cost, it would be better to hire an onsite part time manager.

Better than I had thought it would be. The basic functions are getting sorted. "Jane" has stepped up although immediately took the opportunity to get a pay rise. It will take a lot of time to retrain to same level of skillset as Mary if I ever get there.

After talking to practice management firms I decided that they did not offer value for their fee. All of them really are useful for helping people get started but not really ongoing management. For the cost, it would be better to hire an onsite part time manager.

While it's really good that the situation is now under control, have you taken any steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again? What about your own management techniques? Work environment? Training manuals? Etc etc

While it's really good that the situation is now under control, have you taken any steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again? What about your own management techniques? Work environment? Training manuals? Etc etc

ive been in similar situations before, I personally believe its down to his organisation size, ie the micro business, which is the same as what I had,

the main point is that staff leave all the time, whether the boss was an idiot, or they got offered more, or a career change or personal is irrelevant,

even if you have a good relationship with the staff, its not their responsbility to find a replacement nor train them, so its just a part of life unfortunately,

eg in China's case, he has one secretary I believe and thats it, if she goes, 100% of his workforce is gone. If there was one secretary and 5 sales/marketing staff, each staff can take turns to cover the secretary until a new one is found

Unfortunately its part of the territory, when I had my restaurant, I had one chef and two front of house staff plus me,

imagine the stress that I had to go through when the chef calls in sick 10mins before shift, with no spares, one part timer who only worked certain days, and no way an agency can find a chef in 10 mins.............so I know how china feels

Ok sounds goods, good luck with it.

Back