Concerned about Tenant

We chose a tenant to move into one of our properties last October. We haven't heard from him since.

He has been paying the rent on time, monthly in advance, and dutifully pays all of the other costs of the property, and has conducted repairs and fixed it up beautifully over the last 9 months or so.

So far he hasn't complained about anything and has just got on with his life.

We are very concerned as this has never happened to us before.

What do you think we should do ?? :(

Send him a thank you note with some movie tickets...

Increase the rent and see if his goodwill continues...

Do nothing and hope things stay A-OK...

Sounds like he is honouring the terms of his lease, like most tenants :p .

Like other aspects of life, it is generally only the bad apples that you hear the most about.

Like we do, pat yourself on the back for choosing such a good tenant :D.

Methinks you are bit bored this afternoon Dazz.

Hi Dazz,

Ask him if he has any friends that need a place to rent and then post me their details.:D

Regards JO

We chose a tenant to move into one of our properties last October. We haven't heard from him since.

I had one move into my first IP back in 2001. I've heard from her twice in that time, the first time being nearly a year into the lease. She pays the rent the day it's due. Never late even one day.
She's just renewed for another 12 months at $15pw increase.
Guess I'll hear from her again in 12 months :)

I've got a DHA property with tenants like that.

I knew the original tenants- but I don't even have a clue now if the property even has tenants. It's been like that for a few years now, I'm not even sure how long. But I'm getting the rent.

Yes, management costs are high (15%). But I've had it 11 years now, and it was not new when I bought it. So there must be maintenance issues.

In contrast, another property (two cottages on one block) has had gardening added, two changes of tenant (for each cottage) with subsequent relet charges, and maintenance. Two months with rent reduced by 80%. Management is 8%, but the income is sometimes not reliable.

He sounds like exactly the tenant i am to my landlord. You should be thankful

I fixed everything in the unit on my own cost and look after the place as it is mine. In return i get hit with $60 increase in rent per week!

Ooohh! $60 per week! You poor thing! :eek:

I guess you could always offer to pay the huge hike in mortgage interest for your landlord instead! Now THAT would make you a really good tenant! :D

Sorry about the sarcasm but I just couldn't resist. :cool:

When I've had tenants like that before, I've asked if they'd like to manage other properties nearby for the PM fee. Usually they are seriously decent folk and often have skills in dealing with scumbags from the wrong side of the track.

I'd even ask them if they are considering scaling up to a bigger property, let you know beforehand, so you get a chance to source a new property for them to lease...cos you are so keen to retain an ongoing business relationship with them.

Dazz
You do sound a bit bored. Would love to hear a bit more about how you find properties (commercial), how you do your DD, and how you find your tenants - or is this one who came with the property?

:D

He has been paying the rent on time, monthly in advance, and dutifully pays all of the other costs of the property, and has conducted repairs and fixed it up beautifully over the last 9 months or so.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I had 2 x tenants like that in a row... only tenants I've had.... Frist one range me about leak in bathroom which he lookd aat but couldnt; suss out exacltly where it was coming from. I went there, foudn the problem, tightened the thread and problem fixed. Wehn tehy moved out, the =house was cleane d& paid out fo their bond. I went around to the property to fix a borken fence, tenant shwed me the exhaust fan wasn;t working and suggested he coudl chuck anothe one in if ok with me, I siid, let me drop one off to you.

They paid 3 weeks rent in advance, and ahe been paying weekly since, one week, it landed on a Tuesday instead of Monday.

I had one of these once. It's pretty rare and let's face it it is still early days... wait till it's time to move out or somehting and we will see how you fare.

Yes, very concerning - he is obviously an abnormal tenant who needs help. You're good with regulations and the law Dazz, perhaps you need to spend some time with him and point out his rights. As you know, tenants are like family afterall. ;)

Evict him...somethings not right here :D:D

I'm also concerned he may change your view on residential tenants

I'm thinking his surname is "Pty Ltd", redwing, so don't put any money on Dazz becoming enamoured with residential tenants...

;) I wouldn't bet against you on that one :D

fishing-cartoon.jpg

LOL oh no, I am worried that because we rent, never whinge about anything, fix everything ourselves instead of bothering the landlords for simple stupid things, and pay rent on time, and keep to ourselves (hell we have had no visitors here in 10mths other than the PM doing a inspection) we will be considered to be conducting illegal activities or up to some no good lol.... when in fact, we just prefer our own company and that of our animals... Treat the place like our own lol

The most likely explanation is the tenant has died, and because he/she set up rental payments on a periodic payment system, you are being paid regularly.

Once the savings account is depleted of funds, expect this perfect tenant to stop paying :eek: ;).

Back