Concrete Cancer in an Apartment Block

Hi Guys

I know this is a little bit like asking how long is a piece of string, but am looking at buying an apartment and have just found out the block has concrete cancer. Just looking to get an idea what people have had to pay in this type of situation to get it fixed...

Seeing as I am getting the apartment at a good price, if it's something like 2-4k (x 20ish apartments) I could probably live with that but if everyone is going to be up for 10-15k, well then no I think I will have to reevaluate..

Am getting a building inspection done ASAP to get a better idea of what it's going to cost, but in the meantime, if anyone can share their experiences that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Palo

How did you find out? If it was through the strata then in all likelihood they already have some indicative quotes and these may be available for perusal.

One person I knew was involved in a block in Coogee and there the bill was going to be $25k per unit. On the gold Coast there was one block that needed all balconies replace - cost $100k per unit.

Closer to home I was quoted $35k to fix all the cosmetic concrete cancer on a block of 15 units which we will fix ourselves for about $1000 in materials and our time. If I add the replacement of balustrade and re-tile of balconies then we will add another $10-12k to our material costs but they hadn't quoted on this.

As you can see very variable and you really need more facts.

Cheers

Hi Handyandy

Was through the Strata report, however the people who put the report together for me have been unable to get any further indications on cost, and hence the recommendation to get my own building report done.

Thanks for the figures though, if it's anywhere near 25k, this obviously will turn out to be a bad deal.

Cheers

Palo

About 17 years ago a friend bought a unit in a high rise with 21 units, three per floor, seven stories high. As soon as she settled, she was hit for a bill of about $4K or $5K for her unit to have concrete cancer fixed. So that works out to about $84K to $105K (cannot remember exactly what the figure was) - 17 years ago.

She had no option but to pay up. Body Corporate was also expensive with a pool, two lifts and two saunas.

She told me just recently that the concrete cancer treatment was not done properly and each unit holder is tipping in once again to have it re-done. I don't know if there is any comeback on the first treatment but the owners still have to cough up a second time.

I think it is poor for them to ask you to get a quote yourself. The person who quotes you is not the one doing the job, so I believe his quote (or estimation - whatever you want to call it) will be next to useless.

can you explain a bit about the affected areas & building type..

for example if its got a flat concrete roof and cantilivered balconys which have been affected,, the whole building would need to be scaffolded and significant remeditiation, repairs + protective membranes etc applied perhaps balustrade replacement as well,, youd be looking at approx. $400-500K for an average 3 storey walk up type apartment block you see in dee why or manly

that would be a bad case though where they have let the cancer go and its set in, is the spalling obvious?

Been there - a lot of older buildings have it and you have to get it redone.

Ideally its something the body corp should have looked at already - a call to the president or body corp manager may give you some answers and also if any levies are due.

If its all you can afford though...

Back