concrete spalling - magnesite flooring

Hi all

Been reading up on magnesite and the potential disaster that this product is if you have been unfortunate enough to have it installed as sub flooring in a unit.

http://www.mjcivil.com.au/services/...rensic-engineering/magnesite-induced-spalling

The problem I have is that I have never come across it and as such have no idea what it actually looks like.

All the floors we have dealt with to date have been normal, relatively rough, concrete floors over which they simply laid carpet. When I say rough I mean rough and even slopping. In one particular block we even have mini speed bumps.

Looking at the pics hanging of the included link. It looks like it may not be readily distinguishable from a standard concrete floor.

So the question is - does anybody have first hand experience and if so can you describe what it actually looks like, feels like, type thing. Is it as dense as the standard concrete / cement flooring.

Any pic's showing the structure would be good.

Cheers

It looks kind of like cork. About the same colour and particulate size, weighs little and breaks off into pieces when its been separated from the subfloor.

Its spread on the subfloor about 1cm thick.

Think of a cork mat you would use as a coaster or saucepan rest. Looks like that, but in much larger scale. It feel smooth with slight texture to touch.

Thanks Dave.

That the impression that I have but I am flat out finding any pic's of the stuff.

All the sites that talk about it are sites like the one I included and they are obviously showing the concrete repair after the the damage has been done and the magnesite has been well and truly removed.

When you did see it what sort of age was the property? How extensive was the magnesite, was it all over the property or only in selected rooms?

Cheers

I found some pictures which might help you

Magnesite-Floor-1-main.jpg

Magnesite.JPG

Andy

I have plenty of experience with it due to the various work we have had done in our block over the years. Ours was build 1974, not sure when the stopped using it. I don't think it was used in all properties of that era. It was used under lino tiles in kitchens, not only where carpet was laid.

If you want any specific info contact me direct.

Basically, if it is one room it will be all through the block - unless previously removed. Where possible it is good a good practice to remove it and replace with a thin cement screed.

Hello,

To add to my woes, I suspect we may have magnesite on our floor. We not have balconies. If there is no risk of moisture, are you able to just leave it or should you always remove it? I have a concrete cancer expert coming to have a look at my floor. Pictures below when the carpet and tiles were removed. The guy who did my floor said it was like a cork-like texture which filled me with instant dread!

Created my own separate post here: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1020609#post1020609

NSW

Attachments

• IMAG0207 (1).jpg
    IMAG0207 (1).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 716
  • IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 506
  • IMAG0126.jpg
    IMAG0126.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited: