Using an overlay to repair concrete

Hi All,

I've got a tenant who has washed the concreted part of the backyard with a pressure washer, and it has partially torn it up. Spalling is apparently the appropriate word according to google, and similar pictures. There were already some cracks etc present. They are now concerned about their children falling and the rough pieces getting stuck in wounds etc.

I've got no problem repairing it as pressure washing is a standard process and the concrete should stand up to that. Its simply old concrete. They are good tenants and recently agreed to a $20 p/w increase.

I really don't want to have to rip it all up and relay and have seen that a potential repair could include resurfacing with polymer laced concrete product. Has anyone used one? Anyone have a particular product they would recommend, or an idea of the costs?

Obviously not expecting a repair to last forever, but a few years would be good.

Some parts look like they will need to be relaid (the middle part of the photo), but could the others be spot filled to level it, and then the polymer surface coat applied to the entirety for uniform appearance?

Any other suggestions appreciated? .

Cheers,

Paul

Attachments

• concrete.jpg
    concrete.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 167
It IS old concrete, showing signs of wear. Probably has a low cement content which is why it suffered minor surface damage when pressure cleaned. Any surface treatment will be expensive, possibly ardit over the worst sections of exposed aggregate.

(Having looked at the blown up picture) If you are desperate to put a coating on it, paint it with a concrete paint but it will still be rough. Bite the bullet and lay new concrete if you really want to the rest would be a waste. There are sections where the concrete is absolutely poorly. (Was this really concrete or a splash of muddy water when it was laid?????

Yes, if you put some sort of decorative top coating on that it's gonna crack in not time and look like crap.
The subsurface must be structurally sound and this is not.

Must it be repaired now?
why? safety reasons?
Reason I'm asking is I've seen so many roads and houses with concrete in that state that....I didn't even notice....
so is it possible to squeeze a few more years out of it in that condition?

Cheers all. Had another call from the property manager regarding the issue so will need to having something done.

Will have to weigh up the costs etc.

Thanks

Would a cheap alternative be to pull up concrete and turf that area. Or maybe just put in narrow path and turf rest.

Back