Consequences of "free money"

The more I think about this.. the more it freaks me out..

I'm starting to hear stories about more and more people who have gotten themselves into serious trouble with the whole credit is "free money" attitude.

My ex boyfriend managed to rack up about $13k of personal debt in a six month period, (he's 22), and for whatever reason the banks are STILL increasing his credit limit. He earns what I would consider a lowish income (around $40k) - and he has no way of supplimenting that income without working a second job. He has no plans to pay off this debt, (because he couldn't!) - and I just can't understand why the banks keep sending him credit cards.

I have spoken to my sister, and she has friends who are now turning 20, got their first CC at 18, maxed it out, and now owe anywhere between $4-$7k on credit because they just keep getting more increases. When you are a uni student, to earn $4k quickly is a pipedream - so the interest goes up, so do the repayments.. and really they'll never pay it off..

Another guy I know has $30k of personal debt at age 26 - he managed to cash in some stocks for $50k - but rather than paying off the debt, he purchased a new car with $10k deposit and now pays a $2k a month lease (ARGH!) - and has spent another chunk of it travelling for a few months.

These are just a few stories I know about..

I recently applied for a CC with citibank (with the 6.9% transfer rate to pay off my $4k on my card) - and they gave me a card with a 10k limit! I cut it up as soon as I recieved it in the mail, because the last thing I need is a 10k debt on top of my old 4k one!

Even though I only earn about $40k a year, I now have access to $15k in credit. Where is the logic in that?

It just seems SO wrong - I consider myself lucky because I can do heaps of freelance work to pay down my $4k relatively quickly (which I'm doing so I can get my next IP) - but what about the rest of the population that can't do that?

There must be some serious long term consequences of stuff like this - and the funny thing is that when I speak to people about credit - the attitude is "it's free money" - well its not because they are charging you to have it - but it just seems like most people aren't aware of this. Or perhaps they just don't really care.

What will be the consequences of this attitude? I think its especially prevalent amongst my generation (Yers) - because we expect everything NOW. No such thing as saving when you can buy it on credit and never really have to pay it back..

Long term consequences? A very poor generation Y? We'll have the coolest clothes, coolest gadgets and coolest cars but I wonder what happens when we start having babies and hitting 50.

Any thoughts?

I couldn't agree with you more!

I am far from being a generation Y... But I have to say that the CC companies are very quick to increase your credit limit and not at all happy if you want to cut the limit DOWN.

I recently wanted to Decrease my credit limit on my Virgin card down to $1,000 from the $2,000 it had previously been. I rang them only to be told that $2,000 was the minimum!!
I said, "No sorry, this is my card and I want it Decreased"
I had to tell them I wanted to go higher in there command chain in order to get it lowered.
One of the higher up people had to ring me and talk to me about it, and finally he listened to me and put it down... But the hassle I had to get it decreased was ridiculous.

I was listening to a podcast the other day where people ring in to get advice on personal finance, bascially how to get out of the hole they dug themselves and save the house ;)

Anyway this guy rang in to say his wife had managed to accumulate $206,000 in CC debt over just a 2 year period. This was all unknown to hubbie as it was the wife who controlled the household finances :rolleyes:, he only found out when his wife confessed they couldn't meet their minimum payments any more and told him how big the debt was. :eek:

I was reading yet another story this morning about how housing affordability is at its lowest ever.

Perhaps it is, but that's not why young people have trouble affording their first home, or why home owners can't meet their obligations. It's their credit cards, personal loans, car loans, etc.

Often the biggest barrier to home ownership is the deposit, not serviceability. A lot of people don't know how to manage money and save any more.

I hope Mr Rudd hears this; we don't have a housing afforibility crisis, we have a personal lending crisis.

This is one of my personal crusades, but I have learnt that there is nothing you can do to help people unless they really want to be helped.

The same people who are scared to invest in case they lose some money will not baulk at buying luxury consumer goods on shop credit. I think that despite knowing they are losing money they still "feel" that they have something to show for it.

Don't lose too much sleep over it Shonnie, I did and I changed nothing except for a few people who wanted change and I suspect they would have found it regardless of my efforts.

It is a problem that has always been there. Our grandparents preached against credit for a reason - they knew families who had been broke because of it.

at the end of the day, the banks are there to make money for their shareholders ... so, they take the risk - with appropriate interest rates to cover any downside - that most people will struggle thru to pay their cc debit rather than go bankrupt. and they keep the money repayments so low, that it doesn't generally hurt to pay it - yet, if you only pay the minimum payment you never pay the card off - so it's a perpetual debt charged at 18% (or so). good money making process for the bank

that is why they keep sending out limit increases - or the endless stream of pre-approved cards that keep popping in my letterbox that i tear up - because they know they can suck people in to spend in and then they get on this indebted cycle with the bank that some never can get off.

as i said - it's a con by the banks to make them more money, and many people are suckered in it.

all you can do is live by example and hope that one day they will see the light - and bring your kids up to not see credit cards as easy money. you are not responsible for other's choices.

and when you're older and retiring early with a passive income, when others a jealous and trying to drag you down, say "yes, i was lucky - that i educated myself and made the choices i made." and then hang out with us likeminded people.

We'll have the coolest clothes, coolest gadgets and coolest cars

A matter of opinion.

People think tattoos are cool right now. What is it with that?

Cool to me is having at least a mill in nett value in investment assets, and not having to go to work if you don't want to.

Plenty of people I know have a nice car, a PPoR worth a mill, flashy clothes and a designer dog, but will be working until they're 80 to get free.

That's not cool.

Credit Card.

I know some people who can't pay them off. And I have conceptual difficulty of understanding the minds of people who overspend what they can afford. and only make minimum payments. Apparently, Julius Caesar was also perpetually in debt for his luxurious tastes and love for holding up glorious events.

But because it causes trouble to some people that doesn't mean CC is bad. It works for some people if you know how to use it.

I have three credit cards. All with no annual fees. I pay off mine every month and earn points which I can recoup in rewards later. So I have more to gain from using my credit cards.

The problem is not the CC but the person using it. If you have control of how you spend your money, then whether you have a credit card or not should not be an issue.

Having a CC in you wallet is tempting. Last month I spent over $1,500.00 in clothes. If I didn't have the credit cards, I doubt I would have spent that much. When I saw the bill, even though I expected it, it was shocking. But it was within my saving capacity so I was able to pay it all off with other bills that racked onto it in the mean time as well.

Im in generation Y 25 now

My wife and i didn't own a credit card until after we purchased our house. And even then it was only so we could go on holidays and just to use on the rental car.

I got a $0 application and $0 ongoing fee and don't ever plan on paying any interest. So far so good after 6 months. Its gone up to $400 a couple of times but easy to pay off small amounts like that.

I think a lot of GEN Y use credit like there is no tomorrow but not all of GEN Y do.

Some of us are smart with our money and base any purchases on what we can afford not on what we want to afford.

I agree about the use of CC on bad consumer debt.

On the plus side - I seem to be getting a number of 6.99% for the life of the balance transfer offers from various lenders - mostly (but not always) from ones where I have a zero balance on the CC.

Wow, that's cheaper than housing finance and the temptation to put a 20% deposit down on another IP using one is almost more than I can resist......

Aimy

I agree about the use of CC on bad consumer debt.

On the plus side - I seem to be getting a number of 6.99% for the life of the balance transfer offers from various lenders - mostly (but not always) from ones where I have a zero balance on the CC.

Wow, that's cheaper than housing finance and the temptation to put a 20% deposit down on another IP using one is almost more than I can resist......

Aimy

Interestingly, I am wanting to increase my CC limt to take into account some larger expenses (property related most of them) over the next few months. Its currently at $7500, and I want to increase to $15,000. I often hear of people going to the bank and being asked if they would like to increase their limit as it is already approved! Maybe because I pay off my balance each month and I don't qualiy for this. Each time I have asked them to see whether they have me down to receive this 'offer' they say no.

Of course, I could if I really wanted to increase it through the normal means, but don't want the hit on my credit history for a $15,000 limit with Comm Bank for a CC.

Interestingly, I am wanting to increase my CC limt to take into account some larger expenses (property related most of them) over the next few months. Its currently at $7500, and I want to increase to $15,000. I often hear of people going to the bank and being asked if they would like to increase their limit as it is already approved! Maybe because I pay off my balance each month and I don't qualiy for this. Each time I have asked them to see whether they have me down to receive this 'offer' they say no.

Buzz,

The 'trigger' that I see happening (to me at least) for these limit increases (without being a hit on your credit file) is:
1. Put a $20 - 40K reno on Visa & after reval & refinancing - pay off the outstanding balance in one hit.
2. Stop using the card altogether and ignore the "reminder" letter that you can get the annual fee waived if you spend $25K pa on it.

Within 6 weeks of 1. happening you get the unsolicited limit increase.
With 4 weeks of 2. happening I got the 6.99% BT for life offer.

Glucose,

"Why resist then Aimy?" Yes, why indeed - back foul temptress - I feel another property purchase coming on - wooooooooooo.:D

Aimy

With anz internet banking you can just go in and up it with a few clicks. The increase is limited to a smallish amount (about 2k - (almost 10%) when I did it), but I suspect it could be done fairly frequently.

My daughter who has just finished her 6 year uni course and will be working in Qld next year has never had a credit card and approached CBA about acquiring a Visa style debit card for bill paying over the phone or Net. Not available thru CBA, she was told, because CC's are much safer!!!! The business manager at our local CBA branch here told me CBA haven't offered a debit card facility because there is no money in it for them. That figures....one can only spend up to the amount on the Debit card and so there is no interest payable. I don't object to businesses (banks) making money but surely, in the spirit of goodwill, CBA should consider emulating NAB and ANZ in this regard.

Cheers

I would then take my business where it caters for my needs.

But having recently gone through a transition in banks, I am convinced that it is such a painful thing to do!

6.99% for the life of the balance

Be careful with that, the cheap balance transfer credit cards have a nasty habit of becoming full interest credit cards if not used correctly. In many cases, if you spend additional money on the credit card, any repayments you make often come off the balance transfer portion first. Check the fine print on the contract.

Back