Consumer Sentiment: 'good time to buy a house index' surges 21%

http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/research/macro/PressReleaseCSI20081112.pdf

Consumer Sentiment battles back

The Westpac–Melbourne Institute Index of Consumer Sentiment rose by 4.3% in November from 82.0 in October to 85.5 in November. Westpac’s Chief Economist, Bill Evans, commented, "This is a welcome result. There has been great uncertainty as to how consumers would react to the barrage of news over the last month. The survey in October preceded the Reserve Bank's surprise decision to reduce its cash rate by a surprisingly large 1%. Of course that good news was followed by the announcement by the Commonwealth government of its $10.4bn stimulus package including cash payments of $8.7bn and a doubling of the first home owners grant for established homes and a tripling of the grant for new construction.

This good news was followed last week by the Reserve Bank's second surprise reduction in its cash rate of a bold 0.75%. Furthermore the banks effectively matched the RBA's 1% cut in the cash rate with an effective 0.98% cut in the prime variable mortgage rate in two tranches. The banks have responded to the second 0.75% cut by the Reserve Bank with cuts ranging between 0.58% and 0.65%. Essentially since the last survey the prime variable mortgage rate has been reduced by 1.56% – 1.63%. “On the other hand households have been unsettled by the ongoing disturbances in financial markets associated with the global credit crisis. All institutions regulated by APRA were given government guarantees which affected confidence in those institutions that did not receive the guarantees and restrictions were placed on the access of investors to their savings. Extensive media coverage of these events would have unnerved households.

The value of savings in direct shares and superannuation was battered with the share price index falling by around 14%. News of house price declines and the prospect of a global recession would also have weighed heavily on sentiment. The Australian dollar fell as low as US 59 cents at one stage during the month. Despite this weakness in the Australian dollar the precipitous decline in the US dollar price of oil allowed a 12.5% fall in petrol prices. “With such momentous events, little wonder that the direction of the change in the Index was so uncertain. However, we should not get too excited about this rise. Despite all the "good" news the Index is still 22.6% below last year's level and 14.5 index points below the level where optimists and pessimists are in equal numbers.

The current period represents the longest period since the recession in 1990/91 when pessimists have consistently outnumbered optimists. The current level of the Index is slightly above three other reads this year but excluding this current period is the lowest read of the Index since 1992. “Despite the sharp fall in mortgage rates, the confidence of those folks with a mortgage only increased by 2.9% whereas the confidence of tenants was up by 11.1%. Low income earners responded positively to the stimulus package. Confidence of respondents earning less than $20,000 per year surged by 14.4%. The one off payment to pensioners in the stimulus package was probably responsible for the 10.3% jump in the Index for the oldest age group in the sample – over 45's.

“The rate cuts and the increase in the First Home Owners Grant had a very positive impact on sentiment towards housing. The Index measuring whether now is a good purchase a house surged by 21%. It is now at its highest level since March 2006 and the third highest level since March 2002.

“There were some clear messages from the various components of the Index. Collapsing share markets and possible concerns with trust investments saw a 7.8% fall in respondents' assessments of their finances relative to a year ago. Furthermore, despite the rate cuts, expectations for finances over the next 12 months fell by 0.1%. There is also caution about the next 12 months. Usually when households see rate cuts they become more positive about the near term outlook for the economy. Despite these mammoth cuts, confidence about economic conditions over the next 12 months actually fell by 1.8%. It would appear that the Reserve Bank has more work to do to restore households' confidence in the near term. However respondents do recognise the benefits of lower rates and a proactive approach to fiscal policy for the medium term.

The outlook for economic conditions over the next 5 years surged by 15.7% – the biggest increase in that generally stable component since July 2000. Retailers may also glean some comfort from the 15.8% surge in opinions on whether it is a good or bad time to buy a major household item. Last month's level for that component was the lowest since the survey began and provides some comfort that the $8.7bn in payments which will be disbursed as part of the government's stimulus package may be spent rather saved. Westpac expects around 30 – 40% of the payments will be spent.

“The Reserve Bank Board next meets on December 2. Cash rates have been reduced by 2% over the last three Board meetings. We expect that the Bank is focussed on moving rates out of the ‘contractionary’ zone where the stance of policy constrains spending, into the ‘expansionary’ zone. We assess that rates are currently still in the contractionary zone.

In its latest Statement on Monetary Policy the Bank noted that despite its cash rate having fallen by 125bp's to end October the average interest rate on household loans had only fallen by 0.73%. Despite a strong response on variable mortgage rates the Bank is clearly concerned that the distortions arising from the credit crisis are blunting the impact of monetary policy. That means that rate cuts need to be deeper and rapid. With the following Board meeting not to be held until February 3 there is a decent chance that the Bank will decide to cut again by 0.75% in December.” Mr. Evans said.

Cheers,

Shadow.

I treat what banking economists say with a grain of salt. I often think they are really just employed as 'Marketing Executives', because they are always trying to talk up the property markets, talk up the economy, to protect their own arses. Do you really believe them when they say

“The rate cuts and the increase in the First Home Owners Grant had a very positive impact on sentiment towards housing. The Index measuring whether now is a good purchase a house surged by 21%. It is now at its highest level since March 2006 and the third highest level since March 2002."

This is in stark contrast to what is going on in the real world. FHB's are looking, but they are generally not biting atm.

I agree with Stingray.

I know several FHBs, yes, they are looking, but they ALL firmly believe that prices will be lower within the next 12 months so are in no hurry to buy.
Marg

Yes, your right fatboy, things look to be on 'fire' in Bundaberg. FHB's can afford to pay off $200k homes in their lifetimes, but the reality is that most FHB's wll stuggle to pay off $400k and $500k homes in their lifetime. Life is too short to be on struggle street for the next 30 or 40 years !

Yes, your right fatboy, things look to be on 'fire' in Bundaberg. FHB's can afford to pay off $200k homes in their lifetimes, but the reality is that most FHB's wll stuggle to pay off $400k and $500k homes in their lifetime. Life is too short to be on struggle street for the next 30 or 40 years !

Assuming a very modest 3% pa inflation for the next 30 years the median wage will be 133k in 2038. Assuming 5% pa inflation it will be 233k.

Have a look at Bundaberg <200k houses. Plenty are under offer on realestate.com

FHB are buying (we don't operate there) but I was talking to agents who do and they said FHBs are "snapping them up."

no incentive for REAs to talk up the market, eh :p

I agree with Stingray.

I know several FHBs, yes, they are looking, but they ALL firmly believe that prices will be lower within the next 12 months so are in no hurry to buy.
Marg

no hurry - until may 2009 ticks around and there's only 8 weeks left until the extra "incentives" run out.

I think we are in for a prolonged period of low wage growth. To go along with low everything else growth.

Assuming a very modest 3% pa inflation for the next 30 years the median wage will be 133k in 2038. Assuming 5% pa inflation it will be 233k.

If you are a single median wage earner and buy a house for 400k in 2008 it may be tough to start but its not going to be so tough when you are earning 233k pa. Because thats like 1.8 times annual earnings.

true, but in 2038 i will be nearly 70 years old, so i would like to think i would be doing something other than working in order to pay off my mortgage.

i understand--i really do--that the proportion of debt/disposable income decreases over time. but that does not change the basic point that the housing market is in a bubble.

no hurry - until may 2009 ticks around and there's only 8 weeks left until the extra "incentives" run out.

or until the effects of the share market crash assist the economy into recession and raise unemployment.

i think it is incredibly irresponsible for the govt to encourage risk taking on the part of the more vulnerable segment of the population. especially as the incentive--a mere 7k extra--only constitutes about 1.5% of the median home price (less where i live).

no incentive for REAs to talk up the market, eh :p

why wouldn't they we are currently looking there for several reasons

transport,beaches employment good size blocks,shopping etc where else can ya get 5 acres few mins from the beach for under 200k and 15mins to major shopping?;)

Back