Continuous maintenance call outs

Starting to get really ticked off with our interstate property manager. There is always some maintenance thing to pay for. Unit only 8 years old but every 4 to 5 months there is something requiring a tradesman. Only 2 business people in the townhouse and pictures come back with it looking smick, but start to suspect the pm is getting a huge cut out of these maintenance call outs.

Starting to get really ticked off with our interstate property manager. There is always some maintenance thing to pay for. Unit only 8 years old but every 4 to 5 months there is something requiring a tradesman. Only 2 business people in the townhouse and pictures come back with it looking smick, but start to suspect the pm is getting a huge cut out of these maintenance call outs.

4-5 months????

That's still good for a new place.

You gotta realise that tenants will whine even if there's a dripping tap or a light needs to be replaced and never think about doing it themselves.

Had this issue with some tenants also, just kept putting up the rent each 6 months until they finally stopped complaining about stupid little things. They learnt no minor little complaints no rent increase :)

What are the things requiring maintenance and how long have you owned it?

I think a maintenance call twice a year is pretty reasonable but it depends what it is.

Had this issue with some tenants also, just kept putting up the rent each 6 months until they finally stopped complaining about stupid little things. They learnt no minor little complaints no rent increase :)

I would prefer a tenant let me no about a minor issue before it became a big issue. At least you know of the problem and have the option of fixing the problem...now or later.

I would prefer a tenant let me no about a minor issue before it became a big issue. At least you know of the problem and have the option of fixing the problem...now or later.

Yes but they don't.... they just call the pm and they send a tradesman to fix it. I am talking issues like "Oh the wind broke the gate" well the wind broke the gate because they didn't shut it.

Yes but they don't.... they just call the pm and they send a tradesman to fix it. I am talking issues like "Oh the wind broke the gate" well the wind broke the gate because they didn't shut it.

There is a reasonable expectation though that the gate won't break just because it got left open one day when it was windy.

Give us more examples of the types of maintenance requests and people will be able to provide you with much more valuable feedback on what is reasonable.

Also remember that even if the PM is getting a cut (which is dodgy), they can only really do it if it is reported by the tenant.

12 months= 7 maintence requests all at different times. Its annoying because of the callouts. I now have just replaced everything. New kitchen tap, new laundary tap, new bathroom tap

Leaking bathroom tap
Leaking laundry tap
Leaking kitchen tap
Low pressure in shower and bathroom floor was hot= burst pipe under slab for 2 months before they told me this one. $2800 gas bill, $1000 water bill and Alinta or insurance wont pay it.
Loose handle back door
Loose handle front door
Loose door closer front door

12 months= I now have just replaced everything. New kitchen tap, new laundary tap, new bathroom tap

I used to get annoyed at the leaking tap call outs(I do these myself). To overcome this issue,once a year i go through and replace every tap washer and re seat inside and out,new toilet cistern washer,Check all door handles etc etc.Like a service............works a treat. :)

We've had out latest purchase rented only four months - in that time we've had to replace oven thermostat - had leaking gas cooktop repaired - bulbs replaced in high located security lights - two callouts for aircon not heating - I think there was something else but can't remember.

All genuine reasons and faults ... but still painful. Thank goodness EOFY is coming up.

However, apparently the house/garden is spotless and well tended and these problems could have become serious if left (even the security light if someone tripped on the stairs).

With things like washers and light bulbs, I just get a handyman to go out - much cheaper than a qualified tradie

Ahhhh, I see legitimate problems but only worth a few call outs :).

Why not ask your PM to email you when it comes up. If you PM sends you an email saying "the kitchen tap is leaking and the back door handle is loose" you send back "get a HANDYMAN to attend to replace ALL washers and check ALL door handles" That saves you another 6 call outs that year ;).
With the burst pipe? That is unfortunate (very, very unfortunate) but it sounds like something that you'd chalk up to really annoying maintenance issues if it wasn't for the constant bits and pieces?

In the past when I have had tenants like this I have discussed what they would like to do with the landlord. Perhaps get a list at every 6 month inspection and send a handyman then or save up the little maintenance problems for a few months until we have a list and then get someone out. The area I have worked in means that sometimes there are people who have some mental illness issues and report minor maintenance to get some attention, put an action plan in place and you'll feel better.

That being said, if anything becomes a bigger problem or a genuine issue is reported then get on to it right away!

Back