converting a study into a 2nd bedroom - does it make financial sense?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of investing in a one bedroom apartment which consists of a study. I've attached a copy of the floor plan. I was hoping to convert the study into a 2nd bedroom, and resell the apartment as a two bedder in the future. I would like to hear your thoughts about this idea.

What I'm thinking to do is (based on the floor plan):

1) remove the bathtub
2) and in that space instead, put in the washing machine which is currently located in the study on the left and a shower on the right.
3) use the BIR from the main bedroom as the BIR of the 2nd bedroom/study
4) the HW (hot water) system has to remain at its location I guess.
5) and add a sliding glass door to the 2nd bedroom/study

a two bedroom apartment sell for approx - 470k - 500k in the same building. this one bedroom is advertised at around 400k

thanks,

c.li

Attachments

• floor plan.gif
    floor plan.gif
    44 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Look at that diagram I would

1. Keep the bathtub and toilet where they are
2. Rotate the basis 90 degrees clockwise and put it in the bottom left hand corner.
3. Put the washing machine in the bottom right hand corner

Alternatively (depending on whether it all fits)

2. Rotate the basis 90 degrees clockwise and in the section that faces the door (where the black bit sticks out).
4. Put a cupboard in the bottom left hand corner
5. Change the door to a sliding door.

Bedroom

1. Relocate the HW system into the existing laundry
2. Shrink the laundry width
3. Clear out the old H/W space and the BIR space next to it (hence making the room 2.5m wide
4. Extend the wall of the old laundry and put the BIR there (making the room 2.9x2.5m)

That said, it doesnt look like either rooms have proper natural light and all light comes from the balcony?

Look at that diagram I would

2. Rotate the basis 90 degrees clockwise and put it in the bottom left hand corner.

Alternatively (depending on whether it all fits)

2. Rotate the basis 90 degrees clockwise and in the section that faces the door (where the black bit sticks out).
4. Put a cupboard in the bottom left hand corner
5. Change the door to a sliding door.

Thanks for your input, I like your ideas - would be cheaper too to leave the bathtub and toilet where they are!

Bedroom

1. Relocate the HW system into the existing laundry - any idea how much it will cost to relocate? is it hard to do?
2. Shrink the laundry width
3. Clear out the old H/W space and the BIR space next to it (hence making the room 2.5m wide
4. Extend the wall of the old laundry and put the BIR there (making the room 2.9x2.5m) - not sure I understand this bit - if i extend the wall, where would be the entrance of the bedroom?

That said, it doesnt look like either rooms have proper natural light and all light comes from the balcony? - is this some sort of rule that every room need to have a natural light source? I haven't seen the apartment yet, but from the diagram it seems that the balcony is the only source of natural light

reply in red, thanks btw

Yeah, no natural light in the second bedroom means it's not legally considered a bedroom as such.
And 2m wide for a bedroom, it is really really small.
Just a couple of things to keep in mind when you think of reselling.
Personally, not sure I would be going for it but I have to say the layout would sorta allow for it so I understand where you're coming from.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of investing in a one bedroom apartment which consists of a study. I've attached a copy of the floor plan. I was hoping to convert the study into a 2nd bedroom, and resell the apartment as a two bedder in the future. I would like to hear your thoughts about this idea.

1) remove the bathtub
2) and in that space instead, put in the washing machine which is currently located in the study on the left and a shower on the right.

a two bedroom apartment sell for approx - 470k - 500k in the same building. this one bedroom is advertised at around 400k

thanks,

c.li
Have you had quoted the work yet in real $$$ or do you intend to do it yourself the plumbing alone would be high,plus your entry exit costs if the one bedder is 400k and a 2 bedder is 470k there is not much money in something like this plus no land content just do the maths yourself..

Hi all,

1) remove the bathtub

thanks,

c.li

If it's an apartment then you'll likely need strata approval to do the changes particularly if moving walls and plumbing, as others have suggested.

In my sisters apartment the hotwater was located under the kitchen bench.

We had it moved into the laundry which was in the room next door. Cost around $500 or so to move it i think.

I've seen 1 bedroom apartments that I could turn into 2 bedrooms one before but that plan isn't one of them.
Due to the lack of natural light I don't think you can make the study a bedroom.

Surprised the main bedroom was even allowed given no natural light either, just an internal window into the lounge room.

Agree...is this an actual unit or a hotel suite? There seems to be NO natural light in any room apart from the one living room wall.

it's not a hotel suite...it's a residential apartment...so a bedroom is legally a bedroom only if there's a source of natural light in it...how much though? as the main bedroom doesn't seem to have a lot of it based from the plan.

i also read something about the ventilation in the room because of carbon dioxide

Currently the study has a wide opening and you can not close the room. May be issues mentioned above are the reasons for it.

What does a floor plan of the current 2br units look like?

Also check with council and body corporate that you are allowed occupancy of more than 2 persons in your unit.

We currently live in a 1 brm resort unit and we are only allowed a maximum of 3 persons in total living here. ( according to fire regs ). We have pushed the issue occasionally
when the parents come and sleep on the double sofa bed. :). Guess if we all die...insurance won't pay :(

Back