conveyancing out of town query?

Hi I live in North Queensland but I'm purchasing a property in Brisbane.

should i use a local conveyancer to me or one who is in Brisbane? (I figured someone representing me will have to attend settlement, unless it can be done over the phone or via emails / direct deposits)

Thanks

Hi Daniel

if you use someone in Cairns they will usually use an agent to organise settlement if they arent in the same city - quite common

ta
rolf

Hi I live in North Queensland but I'm purchasing a property in Brisbane.

should i use a local conveyancer to me or one who is in Brisbane? (I figured someone representing me will have to attend settlement, unless it can be done over the phone or via emails / direct deposits)

Thanks

Would be great if you could do it that way. Electronic Conveyancing is coming to QLD in 2015.

At the moment it is still a very manual process, normally 4 different parties meet up and swap cheques and paperwork. Buyer's Solicitor, Buyer's Lender, Seller's Solicitor, Seller's Lender.

The contract states where settlement is to take place, ie Brisbane. The seller's solicitor then gets to specify where, although often it is at the seller's lender (or the lender's agent, eg SAI Global, Scott Ashwood etc).

If you use a solicitor where the settlement takes place you normally won't have to pay the agent fee, but this is typically <$50 anyway. We often do settlements in the Brisbane CBD where both the buyer and the seller live in Cairns or somewhere else in QLD because both parties are using a Brisbane Solicitor.

As the Buyer, your solicitor can sign the transfer documents on your behalf, it is only the seller who has to sign personally or under power of attorney.

In your instance it really doesn't matter where your solicitor is located. I would just not use one of the conveyancing factories, you often don't know who you are dealing with as they have teams of low level admins that work on each part of the file so it is cheaper for them.

Thanks for the explanation.
Could you please PM me an estimate for conveyancing, off the plan townhouse with body corp, Brisbane, with mortgage.

Back