Coober Pedy - Property Management

Hi to all, finally feel strong enough about an issues to post. Firstly thanks to all regular poster for a lot of good information making it easier to decide on purchases over the last years. Sorry for not posting before, I prefer talking instead of writing :eek:.
Here is the issue that made me join and post. Without naming the company, we have just sacked our PM and their realestate business.
Around a year ago we have bought a underground home in Coober Peddy and have signed up with the only business dealing in Cooper Pedy and also have an office there. There main office is in Adelaide!
Shortly after signing up the PM changed to a younger person and we have had not much active management happening ever since. I have followed up a lot of items, but still hardly anything happened. It took 8 months to get the first inspection and ever since then, we have edged them on to get the repairs done. They do blame it on the tenant, but I believe they should take the necessary action to get the contractor into the property. We got legal advise as well as talking to a few other agencies dealing with those issues in SA. Of course this is after we talked to the Head Office and sent letters requesting the repairs to be organised. We have now taken on the property management ourselves and we will hopefully get the repairs done ASAP.

Just wanted to let our my frustration and also look for kindred spirit in a similar situation.

Thanks for reading and feel free to reply and PM me with your input.

CP, definitely one of those places you don't want to go upsetting the locals.

Unless you are prepared to self manage there, then its a case of putting up with what you have. Probably not what you wanted to read, sorry.

Good on you,

I just sacked my PM too.

The reasons are:
(1) they stand on the side of tenants;
(2) they can't assess things logically;
(3) I said to them I regretted I accepted rental applicants who didn't have references. They said to me it was my fault. I said you told me they had owned house so they didn't have references. In fact they moved into Australian in 2003 and they rented for several years. The PM should have known tenants' background and should have checked their references. At that time they failed to do so instead they pursuited me to accept the application. My mistake was I trusted them.
(4) They wanted me to pay $300 (quoted by their handyman) for the repair of a vanity drawer damaged by tenants. I said no. I said to them it would cost me about $20 to get it fixed. Why should I pay $300?
On the other hand, a brand new vanity costs $300. Their handyman should have said that it would be worth to buy a new one and swap the drawers and we LL keep the rest of the new vanity for the future damage replacement. He didn't do this way because he wanted to rip me off for sure.

Last edited:
This place brings back memories...

Went there twice, never saw a sober person there in three days...

They breed them tough out that way...

Off topic a bit but you never know the real estate agents maybe in the same boat. :)

Back