Cooktops - what is best in an IP?

Hi.

What type of cooktop would you recommend for an IP? Also is there anything you would recommend against? I seem to remember hearing that a 'glass', (or is it ceramic?), top needs special cleaning. Maybe too much to hope for from a tenant?

Cheers,
Whozat

Ceramic looks alot nicer. But sometimes there is gunk that builds up on it, and a glass scraper is used to scrape it off, and then just wipe over. I gave up on the fancy cleaners, the scraper and a wipe does just as good a job.
With the fancy cleaner I still had to scrape it.

My hubby and I always go for gas cooktops.....ones without those annoying little electric clickers that always seem to break down and cost the same as a pair of shoes to have fixed. We ask our tenants to use long matches or those hand held plastic clicky things.

Thanks. No gas at this place so I will stick with electric. I agree that the Ceramic tops look better but wondered about potential problems with tenant use. I don't have a problem with tenants using a scraper on a ceramic cooktop if it isn't going to damage it. Anyone had ceramic tops for a while and have they lasted okay?
Whozat

I put a ceramic one in at home. Someone (yes it may have been me!)dropped a cup right on the edge of it (it does not have a framed edge like some do) and it took a chunk out about the size of half your smallest fingernail.
BUT within a few days a crack developed right across the whole cooktop.

I have previously put in those solid cooktops in a cheaper IP. They are reliable and unbreakable. Yes they can get dirty. A bit of elbow grease will get it off though.:)

I agree with Giddo's comments above.

We've had a ceramic cooktop for several years now - no problems with using a scraper on it, but they will crack and chip if something heavy is dropped on them.

From a user's POV, I would never buy another ceramic cooktop - it's impossible to cook decent pasta or other things that require constant high temperatures. The 'hotplates' cycle on and off to achieve the set temperature, and just as the water gets to the boil, they cycle 'off'!!

A friend has an induction cooktop - similar look to the ceramic ones, but the temperature is much more easy to control.

Cheers
LynnH

We had a glass cooktop in our last PPOR . One night whilst cooking it just shattered . The hotplates all worked but the glass was gone.
I have heard of other people having the same problem with ceramic and glass top electric cooktops.
In rentals I find the solid elements with a stainless base last ages.
Easy to clean and not that expensive.

My own home has a large gas cooktop with various size burners.
Great to cook with. takes a bit of time keeping clean :eek:

Gee Cee

In the kitchen

My hubby and I always go for gas cooktops.....ones without those annoying little electric clickers that always seem to break down and cost the same as a pair of shoes to have fixed. We ask our tenants to use long matches or those hand held plastic clicky things.

Hey Mary-Sue,

I agree about the ignitors!! I bought my IP with gas cooktop and the spark never worked - asked an electrician (who fitted my new oven) how much to fix it and he said that it wasnt worth it (cost or effort). He fixed his mum's one the week before and broke pretty soon after.

My concern is what if tenants contact me and 'expect' it to be fixed? I left a handheld firelighter and matches there (as a hint), and hope they dont expect it to get fixed, as if so it is probably easier to just replace the whole top. I guess it would then match the new stainless oven :)

I'm "enjoying" my first real pain as a tenant.

The house has a gas stove and the Lady of the house (quite nice, really) asked me how to light the oven. Frankly, I don't know but I'm sure I could find out if I had to. "He" (the pain) is an engineer so should understand that even if I thought I knew, I'm unqualified to instruct. The gas company would charge $60 for a lesson and they have declined. I'm sure that if they could get me to pay it, they would insist.

Should I just present them with an igniter wand?

Back