Corporate leases Gladstone - good move or not?

Hi everyone

Our tenants have just vacated our 18 month old 4x2x2 IP in Gladstone and it is advertised for lease. We are aware that the rental market is a little quiet at present in the 4 bed market, especially in the newer estates - we are in Emmadale Gardens. There are about 200 unfurnished 4x2x2 for rent at present in postcode 4680 ranging from approx $550-$750 per week. Properties up to about $640 per week seem to be getting the best result.

We listed for $630 and have just been offered $620 a week with Bechtel. We have never done a corporate lease but are aware that Bechtel are one of the top tier players in town. Question is are corporate leases a good or bad move in the Gladstone market given present conditions?

My main concerns are late payment of rent and the property going downhill fast if there is a revolving door of different tenants, who are unlikely to do things like clean regularly and mow lawns etc.. Alternatively I thought I had heard that Bechtel mainly house executives families in houses they lease? I'm also unsure whether our PM would still do the usual inspections during these sort of leases.

Our original intention was to initially secure a new tenant on a six month lease, as we suspect the rental market may improve or firm up a little later in the year and we may be able to increase the rent to $650-$700 (we were getting $700). With Bechtel we would appear to be locked in with the existence of an option and a future capped rental increase of 5%. On the upside we would have the security of a fixed lease in the current quiet market.

On a final note I am unsure whether the Special Terms that Bechtel insist on are reasonable, or should I be seeking amendments (and would they be even willing to negotiate?) or to add some special terms of my own? I have attached some information that Bechtel has provided in this regard.

Any urgent feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who may already have IPs leased with Bechtel.

Thanks
Angela :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 76
Couple of things...

1) Where are your rights to terminate the lease should the company fall into arrears? Are they maintained within the general terms of the lease?

2) First invoice is paid 30 days after issue? So they get a free house for the first month and no bond. Sounds like a win for them and they catch up to a month in advance by paying 2 months on the first payment, but what about your cashflow?

3) How does your landlord insurer treat corporate leases without bond? Will you have cover if there is no bond provided?

4) With no bond, if the company chooses to dispute any damage claims and dismiss them as wear and tear, do you have the time and finances to pursue a large mining company through the legal system for damages and rental arrears?

Sounds to me like the benefit to you is far less than the benefit to the tenant, especially without a market review on rent.

Hi DaveM

Thanks for the reply and great points. The issues with the lack of a bond including with insurance are something I will look into. I will also need to check the standard lease re arrears and the right to terminate.

My gut feeling is that the arrangement lacks protection for us and yet we are locked in. I must admit if the market was a little more buoyant I wouldn't even be considering a corporate lease and would bide my time for the right private tenants.

If anyone has experience renting to Bechtel I would love some feedback, be it via post or PM.

Thanks
Angela :)

Missing attachment

I just realised I have included the same attachment twice in my OP...sorry! :eek:

See attached.

Thanks
Angela

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 61
There's are a lot of houses in Gladstone that don't receive clear television reception or mobile reception. This is an issue all over many of the new estates around New Auckland and Kirkwood.

Where I am in Willoughby, our reception of channel 9 has recently dropped out. The broadcast tower is, like, visible to the naked eye from the house, so I have no idea what the problem is. It could be a new building or something is reflecting the signal and killing it for me. Could be a problem with my areial too but the other stations are all ok.

I'd never guarantee free-to-air reception as a landlord. Too many variables, none of which are in my control. Since it's something that I have no control of, how can I be responsible for it?

Back