Cost of Custom Build v Project Build Home

Had a talk to a few project home builders

They were saying custom designed homes would probably cost the same (per m2) as project homes and just to include the architect fees on top.

They said they would not be able to price anything until all the plans are done and it would cost $2k to get that done.

Would anyone have any idea if this is true or is it just a way to get business when there arent any current design that suit (or close to suit)

They were saying custom designed homes would probably cost the same (per m2) as project homes and just to include the architect fees on top.

They said they would not be able to price anything until all the plans are done and it would cost $2k to get that done.

Would anyone have any idea if this is true or is it just a way to get business when there arent any current design that suit (or close to suit)

its entirely your decision as to what design you desire .if no off the shelf designs suit then you have no other choice but to go custom designed to your specs and get a set of plans drawn to your specs for builders to quote from .the cost of the plans will be far cheaper than going for a basic design and changing the specs. this is where builders tear you a new one with their over the fence prices .
every home I have built for myself has been custom designed and built to my specs at the time as needed for my family .
the house I have built and am living in at the moment was custom designed by me and the only instruction I received for the other half was "I don't care as long as it isn't as big as the last one"
She wasn't pleased when after I built it she found out it was only 1 sq metre smaller ,but it is smaller than the last one .

Find a project plan that suits your land most, then alter it to suit. Take it along to a draftsman to draw up the plans, probably cost around $1200

Find a project plan that suits your land most, then alter it to suit. Take it along to a draftsman to draw up the plans, probably cost around $1200

small problem here and its called "copyright" no reproduction or part reproduction can happen unless a suitable payment has been made .
and around $2500 will be closer to the cost

It depends on so many things such as finishes, site costs, retaining walls required, storm water requirements, etc.

As an average $1700 per sqm is a good figure to work off.

Ok to put it in perspective there are 2 project builders who have designs to fit ( one needs to shave 100 mil of their design and another needs to extend to have a fourth bedroom).

There both around $1400 per m2 turn key (single storey - very basic finishes, no storm issues etc)

Only issue is one of the builders has a very bad rep in the industry and the with the other one while im happy to proceed they don't seem very keen on their side (its a small build by a small project builder who probably would more keen on larger developments and building h+l packages). Its been over 2 months and this only an estimate has been provided an im pushing for a formal tender and if its going to be like this i have no idea how bad it is going to be once deposit has been paid.

For personal reasons I need the DA to approved ASAP (needs to go through Council no CDC).

Did talk to a few builders yesterday and they mentioned to go custom which would go a few grand at planning stage but would pretty much cost the same for construction per m2. Although they said they would not be able to quote the construction until the plans were complete. So just wanted to know if anyone has done this if the quotes that came back similar to project builds per m2.

....custom designed homes would probably cost the same (per m2) as project homes and just to include the architect fees on top.

Project homes make savings due to the economies of scale achieved through repetition of the same details, materials, quantities etc, a standard set of specifications/quality standards/inclusions and the reduction in the learning curve due to repeated construction of the same building vs a bespoke home whereby you nominated everything (whether it be the cheapest, dearest or most technically advanced products).

Clever design can achieve a better result than an off the shelf design as it takes in the peculiarities of your site not just a one size fits all approach.

Price, after all is subjective.

Ok to put it in perspective there are 2 project builders who have designs to fit ( one needs to shave 100 mil of their design and another needs to extend to have a fourth bedroom).

There both around $1400 per m2 turn key (single storey - very basic finishes, no storm issues etc)

Only issue is one of the builders has a very bad rep in the industry and the with the other one while im happy to proceed they don't seem very keen on their side (its a small build by a small project builder who probably would more keen on larger developments and building h+l packages). Its been over 2 months and this only an estimate has been provided an im pushing for a formal tender and if its going to be like this i have no idea how bad it is going to be once deposit has been paid.

For personal reasons I need the DA to approved ASAP (needs to go through Council no CDC).

Did talk to a few builders yesterday and they mentioned to go custom which would go a few grand at planning stage but would pretty much cost the same for construction per m2. Although they said they would not be able to quote the construction until the plans were complete. So just wanted to know if anyone has done this if the quotes that came back similar to project builds per m2.

If you are building in outer suburbs of Sydney, give White Design and Construction a call. They did a custom build for my PPOR at Rouse Hill and did a great job. I think you will find their pricing competitive and they finish most builds in under 6 months. They use contract designers.

http://www.wdandc.com.au

They can tweak the fitout to suit the house you are, building - e.g. Lower budget if building an Investment Property. They can also do a completely finished package including floor coverings, landscaping/driveway, blinds.

This is untrue. For my build, WDC asked me to pick from a range of plans they had on file. They then got their designer to work up a layout to suit my block and needs.

Depending on how busy they are, it will take 2-4 weeks for a pre-plan and quote. Allow at least 3-4 months for final plans to be ready to go to council. The time ultimately depends on how many changes you make. Mine went through about 7 revisions ( I was picky ).

Project home builder rarely provide turnkey so i doubt that the finished project will cost $1,400 per sqm.

One of them was provided including flooring aircon driveway and very basic landscaping

And the other one was based of an estimate (which could be well wrong)

As for moving am going to see a draftsmen tomorrow.

Ill attach my idea (just playing around with it) in the next post

its around 7.5m wide (may be 8 with bricks etc though i may shave a few hundred mil of the design and 17m deep (not including walls)

Attachments

• plan.png
    plan.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 89
any opinion would be appreciated (its just a basic sketch on paint) also 2 of the rooms will have robes (plus bed 1 has wir)

also walk way is only 1m wide and theres no wall between kitchen and dining (just a line to show where kitchen ends and dining starts)

have you considered owner building? could slice 30% off your cost if you have time to manage it

Be careful with this.

Project builders often have margins south of 25%.

Plus that 25% margin is on their purchase costs, which may/will be much less than what you can buy materials for as a walk-in customer.

Great way to save money if done correctly/in the right situation, but you really need to do your DD before attempting it.

No intention of owner building (can only do 1 every 5 or 7 years) and this is a really cheap build (rather save that up for a big one).

Intention is to build and sell so and after speaking to REA all i need is a 4/2/1 and it will sell for a good price (as agent quoted new house thats livable and able to get fhog grant is all required for the area)

Ive got a 7.8m wide (non zero lot) building area (maybe if i go 8.2 theres a few designs) and can only build single storey.

Also its on a lot with an existing house (dual occ)

Although its going to be separated by 1.8 metres a few project home builders do not want to deal with me

Back