Cost of replacing ceiling plasterboard?

Hi all,

I need to replace the ceiling plasterboard in my PPOR. It has become warped in such a way that you can see where it's been attached. In general it looks like it might eventually start falling off.

Does anyone have an idea of how much this could cost? The area is about 36 sqm.

Maybe someone on here has done this before and can give me an indication of degree of difficulty and approximate cost of replacement.

I definitely wouldn't attempt to do it myself since I only know how to fix holes in plasterboard :D

Is it an older house?
Is there any leakage causing the ceiling to sag?
Are the ceiling battens at 450mm spacings?
How high are the ceilings - 2.4m?

It is a messy job rather than a very hard job to replace the ceiling panels.
Lots of dust and plaster everywhere.
You tape up the doors so the dust does not get everywhere when you remove the original ceilings.

Putting up new ceilings is pretty straightforward.
Clean/repair/replace/align all your ceiling battens so they are all level.
Fit the recessed edge (RE) gyprock sheets one by one using the acylic adhesive on the battens with plasterboard screws at corners and centres of the sheet.
Leave about a 25mm gap at the walls.
Use paper tape to tape the joins and layer in with proper jointing compound.
Let everything dry and then sand smooth (another messy part)

Fit the cornice, flush it all in nice and smooth, paint and admire your work.

Or let a contractor do it for $1500 - $2000........

Hope this helps. Good luck.

robboat that's a very good overview of what's required

do you think that things like this can be DIY? I've seen machines that hoist the plasterboard up, do you know if they available for hire?

Our son has just had five small rooms replastered (walls, ceilings and cornice) and the cost was $5K. I initially sent mud maps to four plasterers and once they gave ballpark quotes, we chose who would get the job.

If you have your measurements, why not just call a couple of local plasterers and get prices and take it from there.

I'd be checking the roof for leaks and moisture before doing any ceiling work.. it sounds as though there are problems.

It is possible to leave the old ceiling up and put new panels beneath the old. This saves time and money, and also offers some heat and noise insulation.

Vaughan, that is a good idea, and avoids the dust and mess issues with ripping out the old plaster, especially in a PPOR where you are trying to live whilst this is happening.

I guess either way you must replace the cornice, and doubling up with a second ceiling just adds weight, but checking the integrity of the timber up in the roof needs doing anyway.

do you think that things like this can be DIY? I've seen machines that hoist the plasterboard up, do you know if they available for hire?

Yep, they are called 'sheet lifters'. Most hire companies have them. They come apart and will fit in a ute or wagon.
For one room, a couple of blokes with ladders will be able to put the sheets up - it's pretty easy.
The harder bit is setting the joints i.e. plastering the joins between sheets. And then sanding. If the joints aren't done well, you will always see them. Other people might not, but you will.
I'm doing a 65sqm ceiling in a few weeks, but I'll be getting someone to do it. I must be getting old - or smart.

I'm doing a 65sqm ceiling in a few weeks, but I'll be getting someone to do it. I must be getting old - or smart.

When we "helped" our son decide to remove the asbestos and resheet, my first thought is "we can do it ourselves". After about... oh... ten seconds, hubby said the professionals will do it in a day (when we were thinking just two rooms). They have the proper lifting equipment, and whilst hubby has the skills, these blokes do this day in, day out.

In the end we had all internal asbestos removed (left the eaves) and plasterer took four days to resheet five rooms to painting stage. Well worth it... and like Scott, I like to think we are getting smart as opposed to getting old.

... though after helping to prime/seal/undercoat and top coating those five rooms over two days, and particularly the ceilings, I was feeling very, very old and worn out last weekend ;).

I had a ceiling fixed in a bedroom a year or two ago and it cost $300 but that was to re-secure the existing sagging ceiling, not a replacement.

Not sure how much a full replacement of just one ceiling would cost, the closest I've come is that re-plastering almost a whole 3br house (lounge, hall, 3 bedrooms and all ceilings and cornices) cost me $6500.

Our Neighbours ceiling collapsed in their living areas earlier this year, 12year old house. Insurance company refused their claim and builder was basically saying too bad, so sad guarantee has run out. They decided to replace the ceilings throughout the house so they knew everything was safe for them and their kids. It cost them almost $17k to do so.

great to read this.

Do old walls just get replastered?
And old ceilings only if they're sagging? What about all the decoration on them?

Thanks for all the input to my question :) I've been out of internet range until now and so wasn't able to read and respond.

Hmmm... I'll get some quotes from plasterers and see what they come up with. Living in a rural area I'll be lucky if I can get two quotes, let alone three.

I've been told that the plasterboard is sagging because the plasterboard originally used was too thin ( probably to save a bit of money), and so it started to sag. It's also possible that the insulation put into the roof might have contributed to the sagging.

I hope it won't cost more than $1K - $2k! I plan to have it done when I vacate the house to turn it into a rental.

Cheers
Dan

If you are getting sagging its often caused by moisture from inside the house, ie poor ventilation in kitchen and bathrooms. Its why plaster set garage ceilings sag, wet cars drive in, water evaporates.

Fixing it may be as simple as driving additional screws into rafters/battens and patching.

Back