Cost of tiger tails...

Hi all

Just researching on tiger tails - we will require these for electrical wiring on the road for our proposed build.

We have been quoted approx $770 per month :eek: (on the assumption we will need these for a 7 month period) by the electricity distributor for the area.

So expensive - appears to be a monopoly going on here.

Wondering if it is worthwhile raising this with some authority eg ACCC.

Have you ever had to pay for these - if so how much?

thanks

Can't remember what the last quote was that I got (sorry). It wasn't cheap though. Had to clear scaffold and was across 3 lanes of Princes Hwy. The bulk of the cost comes from having to get the cherry picker, road closure etc.

Not sure if these guys are any cheaper (but I always thought you had to go to the energy provider) Australian Power Services - Level 2 services.

Thanks Scott

Just spoke to a friend who are also building - they got a quote for $3000 for 9 months. In comparison ours would be $6.4K for 9 months (incl GST) - more than double!!!

Different electricity distributors for the areas.

Is it because the energy provider chooses one company to cover a large area?
May be that company knows that you HAVE to get it done to build the house?

How many meters do you need to cover?

Does going underground (if possible) solve the problem?

Is it because the energy provider chooses one company to cover a large area?
May be that company knows that you HAVE to get it done to build the house?

How many meters do you need to cover?

Does going underground (if possible) solves the problem?

yes, the thing is they know it is a need - and they can choose to hike up the price as much as they please.

They said 20m frontage (the block is 16m) - not sure how many lines.

Not sure re underground bit? The existing wires would have to stay. It is an established area.

The tiger tail itself is cheap,,

the cherry picker(s)
barrier glove operator(s)
area power disruption
notifying surrounding users during the proposed disruption
single incident insurance
emergency services standby

forgot the most important cost, obscene profit

hopefully they expressed the high cost as a monthly amount to lessen the shock value, and arent going to add more $$ if the build runs longer

2m over on each end is not a lot, tiger tails can move a bit. the last thing anybody wants is some dumb brickie/chippie reaching up and balancing himself, against the 10KV lines in the top of the pole
" I thought that part was safe, it didnt have a shield over it "

Hi all

Just researching on tiger tails - we will require these for electrical wiring on the road for our proposed build.

We have been quoted approx $770 per month :eek: (on the assumption we will need these for a 7 month period) by the electricity distributor for the area.

So expensive - appears to be a monopoly going on here.

Wondering if it is worthwhile raising this with some authority eg ACCC.

Have you ever had to pay for these - if so how much?

thanks

It's items like this that if missed in the lender-quotes can blow the budget out the back door real quick, never had this problem the only ones we have had was if the power lines cross over next door block on both sides when you split the block you end up paying for a relocation on a new power pole
and that is a mistake a lot on cutting blocks up,and not cheap ..imho..

Used them quite a few times for houses we build.

As mentioned above, tiger tails as an item aren't expensive, it is the disruption to the service and the work involved there. Once installed I am fairly certain it includes checks, and when you factor in a couple of these a month it all adds up very quickly.

You think those are obscene, wait until you need a Telstra pit "fenced off" for a while....

As mentioned above, tiger tails as an item aren't expensive, it is the disruption to the service and the work involved there. Once installed I am fairly certain it includes checks, and when you factor in a couple of these a month it all adds up very quickly.

Understand the costs add up. But twice as much in comparison to another distributor in Sydney.

I had a quote for a build recently and it was $3000 for 9 months chasing the quote myself.

The builder we are going with have a provisional sum of $3000 (we aren't at fixed price tender yet).

This is Newcastle area.

Back