Cost to build?

Hey all,

Just after some advice. We are currently looking into building our next PPOR. Some good blocks going very cheap as people start to look to off load and not many people building at the moment.

We are looking at around $150-$160k for the block and the houses we have seen are around $140-$160k. I realise that things always blow out when you build and there is still driveway etc. For those of you that have built before is it realistic for me to allow an extra $50k for the final touches such as a eg $6k for a little driveway $5k for air con Im sure the wife will want different taps etc etc.

Cheers Jas!

I last built a couple of years ago with a custom builder. He included some things that a project builder wouldn't eg extra site fees, floor coverings and light fittings. I was left with the following expenses to finish.

Driveway 5k
Turf included top soil and laying 2k
Retaining walls 10k
Approx 100m2 concrete for patios and paths 7k
Ducted air 10.5k
Insect and security screens3.5k
Blinds and curtains 1.2k
Misc ie fans, tv antena, dishwasher approx 2k.

There's probably some small expenses I may have forgotten.

Don't forget to allow for interest costs on land and progress payments whilst building.

Last edited:
Make sure you get figures for basix and site costs which even on a flat block can cost as much as $35,000, these are almost never included in the price lists you get from project home builders. Once all of the figures are in double check the cost of completed homes on the estate or in the area you are looking at as there may be some fairly new places also going cheap without going to the troubles of building - remember you can negotiate on these prices too.

Good Luck - which are are you looking at?

Thanks for the replies. I wasnt aware of the extra site costs as I thought they were included so that is good to know in advance. Looking at Summerland Point or Gwandalan in the new estates here in both the suburbs. As you mentioned sparky we are looking at costs of existing homes that are newish also so we'll do our home work and compare.

Cheers Jas!

Hi there Jayro,

I have built stuff 4 times now including just last year and I say watch out for:

soil test results almost always mean extra costs for foundations (you never seem to get the results allowed for in the builder's contract)

Any existing trees even in the neighbours yard mean that you will pay for piers in your foundations -engineers hate trees - can mean a few extra thou

Retaining walls are often a bit higher than you initially thought meaning more money even a small slope means you need a ret wall.

If you have a slope, your cut and fill is usually a bit more serious than you thought when you looked at the block

Fencing is expensive. Timber fencing looks best but is dearer. Sometimes it is hard to get neighbours to share. If you force them to, remember you will be living next to them.

Taps are no biggie but kitchens are a danger area usually

Concrete for paths and garden shed pads and clothesline pads can all add up.

TV antenna is usually only say $250 installed but can be more if you are in a tricky area

I reckon $1.2k for window covers will be a bit low; although on my first build we used old bedsheets that cost nothing.

My wife now assures me that decent window coverings are well worth probably about $5k for a modern home with large windows.

Hope that helps.;)

Oh and a packet of heartburn pills too.

soil test results almost always mean extra costs for foundations (you never seem to get the results allowed for in the builder's contract)
If in a reasonably new subdivision you can ask for soil test from vendor as this saves money

Any existing trees even in the neighbours yard mean that you will pay for piers in your foundations -engineers hate trees - can mean a few extra thou
Stay away from trees if at all possible

Retaining walls are often a bit higher than you initially thought meaning more money even a small slope means you need a ret wall.
Battered slopes, edged and mulch can sometimes be used instead of retaining walls especially on high side blocks

If you have a slope, your cut and fill is usually a bit more serious than you thought when you looked at the block

Fencing is expensive. Timber fencing looks best but is dearer. Sometimes it is hard to get neighbours to share. If you force them to, remember you will be living next to them.
$55 - 60 per meter for timber. Metal is dearer if racking needed for sloping block of land

Taps are no biggie but kitchens are a danger area usually
Oh yeah - find out the metre cost of bench cupboards and overhead cupboards and handles can be a killer

Concrete for paths and garden shed pads and clothesline pads can all add up.
$70 - 75 per meter at the moment

TV antenna is usually only say $250 installed but can be more if you are in a tricky area
$280 for 2 TV sockets main bedroom and lounge room. If booster needed it is dearer.

I reckon $1.2k for window covers will be a bit low; although on my first build we used old bedsheets that cost nothing.

My wife now assures me that decent window coverings are well worth probably about $5k for a modern home with large windows.

Good quality is worth it in my opinion 2K - 3K for a 3x1 unit self installed

Hope that helps.;)

Oh and a packet of heartburn pills too.

I reckon you need 20K - 30K above what builder says to cover basic costs. 50K should cover all contingencies.

Letter boxes can be up to $500.00

regards
Sheryn

Back