Costs of adding an additional room to a dwelling?

Hi all!

Could someone please enlighten me on what it costs to add an extra standard sized bedroom to a weatherboard or sheet clad dwelling?

Is there a formula that can be applied or cost per square meter?

Also should the roof on the extention built flat to save on costs of making a pitched roof to follow the existing roofline, or will this make the place look somewhat shabby from the back!

Thanks for input

Regards
John

The easiest way will be to ring a few of the builders who advertise that they do extensions in the local paper. It sounds like you want a builder who is also a Carpenter who is on the tools.

The problem is that this is a small job, one bedroom is less than 20sqm, so the rate per sqm will be high. That said, if it is weatherboard then a carpenter can do the exterior cladding as well as the framing in a couple of days. Also stumps will probablly be cheaper than a slab as the carpenter can put them in as well.

Not messing with the existing roof line will be cheaper and I would not worry about the ascetics at the rear of the house.

Based on what I see on extensions I value, I work on $1,800 per sqm for single level extensions and $2,500 per sqm when you go up. While your extension is smaller (hence usually a higher rate per sqm) it doesn't have a bathroom or kitchen so it could indeed be the same or lower price.

good luck,

cheers

RightValue

I have no idea, except my mum said the other day that about 10 years ago she enquiried as to the cost of adding an upstairs room above the double garage of their unit, and the builder said around $30,000. EEEP!

Quite Expensive!

Thanks for the input!
Either way it does sound quite expensive, infact it probably costs just as much as what the total added value will be once the project is finished.
I guess then adding an extra room would only be viable if it can be accomplished within the exisiting room in the house rather than extend out.

JCM

It's always cheaper if you can add the room withing the existing footprint rather than extending, however having said that, we've had clients who we have done extensions for who have added a couple of bedrooms and a bathroom and got a huge increase on their return. It will also depend on the suburb you are in as to how much value add you will achieve.

All the best, Ana

Back