Cracks on exterior brick walls

Hi, I am buying a house in SE Qld and the building inspector noted cracks in nearly all the brick walls. 2 window frames show a gap to the wall as well.

The house is a 3 bedroom lowset.

Should I run? There isn't much time to negotiate price as well - less than 24 hours from the condition deadline.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 119
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 113
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 102
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 104
  • c5.jpg
    c5.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 105
Hi, I am buying a house in SE Qld and the building inspector noted cracks in nearly all the brick walls. 2 window frames show a gap to the wall as well.

The house is a 3 bedroom lowset.

Should I run?

I think you need to have a long conversation with your building inspector. Either way, you've got a pretty big bargaining chip there.

What sort of soil is it.

I would be talking to the building inspector and asking him if the foundations are solid and why the bricks are cracked.

It is clay i believe. Inspector thinks mvmt is due to drainage issues. Point is there is damage so even if no further mvmt occurs it is still damaged.

Ask for an extension on the building clause for the reason stated. Also ask the inspector if it is a major, will it get worse or affect the building and how much will it cost to fix? I would also try get a discount after finding that out but u really need a professional opinion as it could be a major

Definitely a few stress cracks in that brickwork. I would be concerned with the number of cracks - the cracks aren't running at 45 degrees but vertically which would lead me to believe that these cracks have occurred due to the lack of/or incorrectly positioned expansion joints.

Sellers not agreeable to price reduction. Their 'builders' tells them all is well. So i have termiated this.contract for the algester property. Learnt to look harder in inspections.

Back