Credit card fee - who has asked for it to be waived ?

We have a silver citibank mastercard and the annual fee just turned up and it is $75, never taken much notice of it before it is just one of those things that happen and you pay. Just wondering if anyone has called their card company, especially citibank and had asked for the annual fee to be waived and what there reply was ? Mark

I have just recently signed up for an Earth+ card. When I called NAB to cancel my existing mastercard, they have offered to waive the annual fee for the life of the card. So, I ended up keeping it for emergencies...No fees forever.;)

Cheers,
Lee

I have just recently signed up for an Earth+ card. When I called NAB to cancel my existing mastercard, they have offered to waive the annual fee for the life of the card. So, I ended up keeping it for emergencies...No fees forever.;)

Cheers,
Lee

I just gave citibank a call and made out I was going to another card and if they could waiver their annual fee to keep us, this chappy was more than happy to cancel our card :eek:, so I said we will think about it. Looks like we pay our fee and also Yman, I'm not sure if we can pay our annual fee with our rewards points, I was to busy backpedaling to hangup before this guy canceled our cards. :eek: Mark

Part of the CBA wealth package is a fee free gold card. I also have westpac visa that if you spend more than 10K a year the fee is waived.

Phoned to cancel a credit card with ANZ once and they waived the fees so I would not cancel. Phoned again the next year and they said no more offers so I cancelled.
Marg

We have a silver citibank mastercard and the annual fee just turned up and it is $75, never taken much notice of it before it is just one of those things that happen and you pay. Just wondering if anyone has called their card company, especially citibank and had asked for the annual fee to be waived and what there reply was ? Mark

I have a Gold Master from Citibank.Last year there was a promotion of no fee for life :D so I got a card for me and a suplimentary card for my wife both worth $150 a year free for life. You get the regular free travel insurance, points, 55 days intrest free blah...blah... Yes you can redeem your points for the yearly fee and the option is there once you log onto the citibank website. A place to keep an eye for credit card deals is http://www.creditmart.com.au/ I found the no fee promotion from this web site. Hope this helps.

Is it worth paying the fee?
Ours is fee free as long as we spend more than $12k pa, has 55 days interest free and no points.

Card we are considering changing to has yearly fee $150 and 45 days interest free.

Even using the card for daily living (on a LOC), is it worth the $150pa to loose 10 days interest free to gain some points?

Cheers
Stella

I have a Gold Master from Citibank.Last year there was a promotion of no fee for life :D so I got a card for me and a suplimentary card for my wife both worth $150 a year free for life. You get the regular free travel insurance, points, 55 days intrest free blah...blah... Yes you can redeem your points for the yearly fee and the option is there once you log onto the citibank website. A place to keep an eye for credit card deals is http://www.creditmart.com.au/ I found the no fee promotion from this web site. Hope this helps.

We did have a Gold Master card as well but for some reason pulled back our limit to a Silver card, for a few years now our average usage of the card would add up to about 25K. After reading some of your responses, many thanks, and also from other treads, we may come to the conclusion of shopping around for a new card. Just have to go spending now, have about 230K of points. :D Mark

the fee free citibank card promotion is still around. i don't have the link on me but will probably try to dig it up when on monday at work...

it's pretty good... same rewards points system and no fee for life...

I have a platinum CBA mastercard, took me 4 hours on the phone across 2 conversations to waive the $200 or $250 fee... its due for reneweal in Nov 07, htis month, I seriously doubt it but am hoping that it is fee free for life.....

I know a guy on another finance forum that has one of these fee free for life with a limit over $100k....

I don't think the "I want to cancel unless its free" thing will work for me...

my credit limit for citi was more than $10k under citi. so its def possible to have a fee free reward card for life...

I have an ANZ visa that is fee free as part of the Breakfree package. I recently got offered an upgrade to platinum: still thinking about whether I should take it.
Alex

I have about 12 credit cards.They are all no fee, except one.That is because for $20 we have the interest at about 10% instead of 19 %.(we knew we were going to be carrying a balance for awhile)
Yes we have a balance...every month....on all the cards.Most are at their limit.It's a balancing act, one we are winning,slowly,and in a couple years they should be empty again.

Whatever it takes to get the deal thru.....

Kathryn, is that because you guys use a similar system to the US FICO score, and having credit cards and paying them off on time actually increases the score?
Alex

Alexlee,
Yes.
However,on my Credit Report my score was lowered because I had so much available credit. I would hate to see it now,because I have used it all.
I have never seen a mention of a utility bill or a mortgage payment on my Credit Report.So not sure if they are, or only they report on them if you miss a payment.

I have an ANZ visa that is fee free as part of the Breakfree package. I recently got offered an upgrade to platinum: still thinking about whether I should take it.
Alex

Hi Alex,

Which card do you get for free? We have this - initially it was Qantas Frequent Flyer points Visa - free with the Breakfree Package - then this year they decided to charge, so we switched to the ANZ Gold, which pretty much offers nothing in exchange for being free - so we don't use it anymore. They just sent us a letter to upgrade to Platinum (for the FF one we cancelled) - same fee, which we're not interested in paying.

Would be interested to know if anyone gets the ANZ Breakfree Package Qantas FF for free.

Cheers,
Jen

Back