crisis=opportunity

If resi prices drop 30% . . ? I'm willing to bet me a$$ that wont happen.
But of course depends on where were talkin bout,

For instance Darwin is still full steam ahead and we have our own planet/economy here,

From your previous posts Sunfish I note you have much more experience with equities than I do, can you explain a few of your answers to me?

So what's everyone's buy in price for
CBA...<$25?? <$24??...... It's a bank. Wouldn't touch, at least till p/e <5
Why don't you like banks? Would you give any consideration to a high yielding bank?
I understand some have much more exposure to overseas problems then others?

RIO...No idea? ..... Not till they get their balance sheet in order. Albanese is not working for small share holders IMHO.
I understand they're looking at cutting expenditure and selling off assets to the tune of $15billion to reduce their debt. What is your opinion of how much they need to reduce it by?

And would you touch QAN or PBG? ..... No

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to but why wouldn't you touch them?

Cheers

From your previous posts Sunfish I note you have much more experience with equities than I do, can you explain a few of your answers to me?

Why don't you like banks? Would you give any consideration to a high yielding bank? ....... I've been rubbishing banks for years. You can't expect me to stop now. :) They are still the epicentre of the GFC. "High yielding"? A P/E <5 is high yielding, but that must be on reasonably expected future earnings, not history.

I understand they're looking at cutting expenditure and selling off assets to the tune of $15billion to reduce their debt. What is your opinion of how much they need to reduce it by? .... I don't know but they're not there yet.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to but why wouldn't you touch them? ...... QAN is an airline. No further comment needed. Pacific Brands is in freefall. Don't try to catch falling knives.

Cheers

I am continually shocked at the number of people who want to buy stuff in long declines. It seems they genuinely believe things can only, reasonably, fall so far before the sellers learn the error of their ways. The sellers are mainly professional fundies so don't fight them. Maybe this optimism is a hangover from property where the expectation that things can't fall too far is reasonably grounded. It isn't in corporate structures.

These are not recommendations just examples of stuff you might have in a SMSF. I think it is still too soon but in a few years you should have some of them:

BHP...... Can waste billions on ill-conceived projects but still owns oil wells and good mines.

AGK..... A bit volatile short term but is still higher than it was a year ago. It's a boring utility.

CTX..... It's really an industrial stock in that it does not produce oil, it merely refines it as an industrial process. Not a top pick but it will not fold and has done better than many others.

NCM..... A gold miner, making a profit and paying a dividend. P/E of 31 is high though but plenty think gold is going up.

MCR..... A mid-cap miner, making a profit and paying a dividend. Cheap as chips and I am unaware of any serious issues.

Just some examples. What they have in common is that their prices aren't in freefall.

ps. I forgot WPL. How could i do that?

I
AGK..... A bit volatile short term but is still higher than it was a year ago. It's a boring utility.

I'm also not qualified to comment but I like to kid myself I know a little bit about the electricity industry. Some of the stuff these fellas have been getting up to just beggars belief. Prices paid for assets - risks taken on to the balance sheet - you name it...

The comparison between them and ORG is like chalk and cheese... just my 2c - I know nothing -am not an advisor and I don't own either stock!

I'm also not qualified to comment but I like to kid myself I know a little bit about the electricity industry. Some of the stuff these fellas have been getting up to just beggars belief. Prices paid for assets - risks taken on to the balance sheet - you name it...

The comparison between them and ORG is like chalk and cheese... just my 2c - I know nothing -am not an advisor and I don't own either stock!
You may be right HE. I remember AGK as Australian Gas Light, a gas pipeline owner/operator. (Australia's oldest listed company) It isn't a miner so I don't follow it closely. Nor do I operate a SMSF.

BTW I own none of the companies I listed. The only ASX co I own is a few thousand LGL. That should be read as my thoughts on the market, not the individual companies.

I'm afraid blue card your reference period of 10 years is the period when historians looking back at this soft depression will identify the mindset of borrowing huge amounts and looking at unrealistic capital growth targets with absence of regulation as the raison d'etre GFC

Your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when you reach the horrizon will be a financial abyss if your gearing isn't manageable. Continuing to gear up is fiscal Seppuku:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku

stop with the wiki links - they're destroying any credibility you seem to make up on this forum

you make out that EVERYONE AROUND THE WORLD has been on a drunken debt binge this past decade, when in reality, it's been a significant minority of people and significant majority of funds and their managers.

you gotta lose the "mightier than thou" attitude, liek you are the clairvoyant messiah of the GFC meal deal.

an LVR of 30% - how awesome - i'm sure that very achieveable for everyone, especially before July 2010.

time to get your head outta the clouds NR - anyone that bought in the last 10 years STILL wouldn't be approaching 60% LVR unless the investement had an unbelieveable yield.

sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.

Unless they've already sold various properties to get their debt down to that level ....

which is what some people have done :)

Not every one here believes in buy and hold forever.

Clifff

Hi, in case anyone's interested, I did dip my toes into the waters and did indeed promptly find some piranhas!

Rivers of blood in stock mkts worldwide, only Nikkei went up. But it was already so low it was looking like a consumptive old man.

Hang Seng has succumbed - finally. I think that one might crash some barriers next week.

Well, my 1st essay into the stock mkt, my 1st block of shares bought today.

As yet, only one toe exposed to the piranhas. Will see what happens next.

KY

If you need to have a job to invest then hopefully you keep your jobs or can get a job as the rising unemployment is really going to effect house prices.
:mad:

stop with the wiki links - they're destroying any credibility you seem to make up on this forum

you make out that EVERYONE AROUND THE WORLD has been on a drunken debt binge this past decade, when in reality, it's been a significant minority of people and significant majority of funds and their managers.

you gotta lose the "mightier than thou" attitude, liek you are the clairvoyant messiah of the GFC meal deal.

I think I'm going to start to call you black and blue (BB) cause like a punch drunk boxer your posts are becoming more and more desperate talking wild swings into fresh air.

Those cauliflower ears that Mr market has given you with the beating must be oozing with red ink and that is why you cannot hear the refrain that there are brave investors and there are old investors but there are no old brave investors.

Who do you think the significant minority of speculators are BB that have over extended themselves? Don't think it is those on a pension, or the mum and pop super annuants mate. There are people who speculated in the paper equities market and .... surprise surprise some in the property market too.

If you want to continue arguing that getting your gearing down to 30% is sunshine lollipops and rainbows:confused: Then Mr market is going to put you on the canvas for the count of ten BB.

I am no clairvoyant just someone older than you who recognizes that we all have clay feet and that this very irrational market is going to outlast anyone who doesn't protect their seed capital. As I have said before common sense isn't very common and like the investment refrain about risk; " past performance of the property market is no indication of future success "

Have a nice life on the government pension BB.

NR, now you're being really abusive.

You need to take on board that what is being objected to is your opinion that only you know what you're doing. That everyone with a high LVR will necessarily go bankrupt.

And Duckster, I feel for those who feel insecure about their jobs in these uncertain times. Can you put those words the other way around? Not need a job in order to invest but invest so that you don't need a job?

KY

NR, now you're being really abusive.

You need to take on board that what is being objected to is your opinion that only you know what you're doing. That everyone with a high LVR will necessarily go bankrupt.

And Duckster, I feel for those who feel insecure about their jobs in these uncertain times. Can you put those words the other way around? Not need a job in order to invest but invest so that you don't need a job?

KY

Dont worry about him,
as time progresses his views are getting more extreme. He is now advocating that the only way Australia will have a future property boom is once australia ties its currency to some form of gold standard.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47795&page=26

Hey and by the way Nonrecourse heres a another bit of D&G news for your armory:

Employers in U.S. Cut 651,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rose to 8.1%
Email | Print | A A A

By Bob Willis

March 6 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. unemployment rate surged in February to the highest level in more than 25 years and the economy lost more than 600,000 jobs for a third consecutive month, pointing to further reductions in spending.

Payrolls fell by 651,000 and revisions for the prior two months lopped off an additional 161,000 jobs, the Labor Department said today in Washington. The jobless rate surged to 8.1 percent, more than forecast and the highest since December 1983.

Tumbling demand globally is prompting companies from General Motors Corp. to Sears Holdings Corp. to step up firings, perpetuating a vicious circle of job losses and spending cuts. The Obama administration has set aside immediate concerns about a budget gap and pushed through a $787 billion stimulus plan aimed at creating or saving 3.5 million jobs.

``There is not a single sign that points to a bottom yet,'' Ellen Zentner, a senior economist at Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd. in New York, said before the report. ``It is the worst recession in the postwar era.''

The payroll drop in January was revised up to 655,000 from 598,000 and December now shows a 681,000 drop, up from the 577,000 previously estimated. The December decline was the biggest since October 1949.

The U.S. economy has now lost almost 4.4 million jobs since the recession began in December 2007, the biggest employment slump of any economic downturn in the postwar period.

Payrolls were forecast to drop by 650,000, according to the median of 80 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News. Estimates ranged from losses of 500,000 to 800,000.

Factory Jobs

The jobless rate was projected to jump to 7.9 percent. Forecasts ranged from 7.8 percent to 8.1 percent.

Today's report showed factory payrolls fell by 168,000 after declining 257,000 in the prior month. Economists forecast a drop of 200,000. The decrease included a loss of 25,300 jobs in producers of machinery and 27,500 in makers of fabricated metal products.

Automakers, at the heart of the manufacturing slump, continued to slash jobs and trim costs to stay in business. General Motors last month said it would cut 47,000 more positions globally while Chrysler LLC announced 3,000 more layoffs.

Auto-parts makers are also suffering. Canton, Ohio-based Timken Co., the supplier of bearings to the world's top five carmakers, said March 2 it would eliminate as many as 400 salaried jobs this year.

Service industries, which include banks, insurance companies, restaurants and retailers, subtracted 375,000 workers after cutting 276,000. Financial firms cut payrolls by 44,000, after a 52,000 decline the prior month. Retail payrolls decreased by 39,500 after a 38,500 drop.

`Very Difficult'

Sears last week said it would shutter 24 stores, on top of eight closings announced earlier, after its fourth-quarter profit fell 55 percent due to weak holiday sales.

``This past year was a very difficult year for the world economies and for retail in the United States, and 2009 needs to be the year of restoring confidence and trust in our financial system,'' Sears Chairman Edward Lampert said in a letter to shareholders.

Payrolls at builders fell by 104,000 after decreasing by 118,000, as home sales and prices continued to tumble.

Government payrolls increased by 9,000 after a gain of 31,000 the prior month, one of the few areas still hiring. Another 26,000 jobs were added by education and health providers.

Employers are holding the line on hours. The average work week held at 33.3 hours in February. Average weekly hours worked by factory workers dropped to 39.6 hours from 39.8 hours, while overtime also decreased to 2.6 hours from 2.8 hours. That brought the average weekly earnings up by $1 to $615.05.

Average Wages

Workers' average hourly wages rose 3 cents, or 0.2 percent, to $18.47 from $18.44 the prior month. Hourly earnings were 3.6 percent higher than February 2008. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg had forecast a 0.2 percent increase from January and a 3.8 percent gain for the 12-month period.

Bankruptcy filings for individuals and companies surged 37 percent in February to more than 103,000, according to data compiled by Automated Access to Court Electronic Records, a service of Jupiter ESources LLC in Oklahoma City. Slumping sales have caused recent Chapter 11 filings by retailers such as Everything But Water LLC, the largest U.S. retailer of women's swimwear, and Ritz Camera Centers Inc., the largest chain of camera stores.

Economists polled by Bloomberg last month forecast consumer spending will contract through the first six months of this year after sliding in the last half of 2008. Purchases have not contracted for four consecutive quarters since records began in 1947.

-- With reporting by Lauren Coleman-Lochner in New York and Juliana Goldman in Washington. Editors: Carlos Torres, Jeremy Torobin

To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Willis in Washington at [email protected]

Last Updated: March 6, 2009 08:30 EST

Hey this is fun, we can all post the D&G news before Non Recourse does, yeah i posted this first i posted this first.:D

So what's everyone's buy in price for
BHP....<$24?? ...... I will buy eventually based on market/chart action/sentiment, not price. It could be sub $20... I don't know.

WOW...<$24? ...... A p/e of 17.5 is too high with current sentiment.

Once upon a time WOW was $4. Corbett did a great job but the price went nowhere for 2 years. At the end of the day the market is indeed a weighing machine.

BHP ? I'll think about buying that when it's $10.

Hi Chilliaa, I shall make this my last post today.
I did see the gold std remark and I wanted to say Oh yeah how do you know? It's only an opinion and like a bum, everyone has one.

The gold std didn't work before because govts didn't have enough gold. So which govts can afford the gold std?

And that is my opinion and I'm entitled to it just as I'm entitled to a bum.

BTW, thanks for sharing about the apts and the Thailand investments. That was a heck of a good post.

KY

Hi all,

NR,

The share market bottom is at least 8 months away and the bottom of the property market will be July 2010.

Don't expect that bottom to lift for many years. In the intervening years before recovery we will see first deflation, then collapse of most fiat currencies.

When, in the last 125 years for the Aus stockmarket, did it not lift for many years???

If 'fiat currencies' are going to collapse, what are they collapsing against???
Is the $Aus going to collapse against the Euro??? the pound????:rolleyes:
the $US ????:confused:

Exactly what???

bye

Hi Chilliaa, I shall make this my last post today.
I did see the gold std remark and I wanted to say Oh yeah how do you know? It's only an opinion and like a bum, everyone has one.

The gold std didn't work before because govts didn't have enough gold. So which govts can afford the gold std?

And that is my opinion and I'm entitled to it just as I'm entitled to a bum.

BTW, thanks for sharing about the apts and the Thailand investments. That was a heck of a good post.

KY

Im not an expert when it comes to international finance, but apart from the D&G consipiricary theories, the major reason why currencies cant be tied to gold or any commodity is the development in international trade (of which finance is a component, its just the transfer of finance as a type of trade).

Like it or not the world is becoming a global village, power shifts will occur as times progress, but the world is smaller than it ever was.

If you want a recent historical reference point look to the asian economic crisis. We are going through a similiar (but not the same) process now. Its not a happy time, its not pretty, but it will get solved and without haveing to resort to extreme measures, it just takes time to work itself out.
Already we are seeing counter measurings being implemented by the private sector: essentially the massive increase in private sector savings by traditionally consumption orientated societies.

Dont worry about him,
as time progresses his views are getting more extreme. He is now advocating that the only way Australia will have a future property boom is once australia ties its currency to some form of gold standard.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47795&page=26

You have a very selective memory about my views red hot chillie. Lets go back and see what I said before the stock market crashed and what I said about the world economy looking forward

I started this post entitled "The soft depression we had to have" on the 15.09.2008 about three weeks before the market crashed the ASX was at 5200 and there had been a series of failures on wall street of what I termed the gang of seven;

Post number 22 of the 15.09.2008

Code:
Sorry its many many posts back that I explained the term a soft depression. Unlike the dirty 1930's with millions of people out of work and bread lines, a soft depression is where the wheels of commerce grind to a crawl due to a lack of liquidity. The banks will not lend money to each other or to anyone other than those who don't need it.

What we are entering is a long and painful period (10 years) where credit contracts and simple financial transactions that are part of modern life is no longer going to be simple.

You'd think that would drive the cost of money up and it will in some countries like the US and the UK. where their fiscal ineptitude has brought on this whole mess.

In Australia because we are the exporter of raw materials to china I think you will see the Aussie interest rates pulled down by the reserve bank in a desperate attempt to keep those cogs squeeking along. That will mean that the spread in interst rates here and overseas will drive the dollar down to ... dare I say it 38 cents?:

Now I know your thinking what is this poor little sick puppy smoking. Both our solicitor and banker last November thought I was a nutter when I first started ranting about CDO's and adjustable rate mortgages. In recent months here in Melbourne a lot of people have started to take note of the syndicated articles called planet wall street that has been running in the age.

The information has been out there on the internet for well over a year but as my father who had a grade three education but a special ability to read people said. Common sense just isn't very common among educated people.

Most of the nonsense about things are improving, pumped out by the gang of seven from wall street; Merrill Lynch, Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase and Citigroup, has been aided and abetted by the financial press. There is trillions of dollars in further losses coming as a consequence of hundreds of smaller banks failing throughout the western economies of North America and Europe. That is without counting the number of insurance companies that will also soon start to crash.

As far back as the mid 1990's Warren Buffet described Wall Street as an apple that is rotten to the core. Around 2003 he was quoted saying that derrivatives were financial instruments of mass destruction that one day would case untold suffering. Warren Buffet doesn't understand derrivatives and unfortunatly for the rest of the world neither did the gang of seven.

Which brings me to the Somersoft Property Investment Forum. There are a lot of posters who can't see the forest for the tree's. Many on this site think they are going to continue to make a killing in property. Like the product disclaimers on most investment sales literature. Past performances in property investing is no indication of future returns.

We are now entering a period of massive financial upheaval. You need to go back and read about businesses that thrived in the great depression. The days of easy money through mortgage originators like Aussie that used collateralized debt obligations are going. If you want to grow your property portfolio you are going to have to generate your income from your internal operations ,be it your properties, business income or salary.

The use of negative gearing and using your existing equity to gear up is going to become much more difficult. The more senior posters on Somersoft need to warn the newies that you can lose your savings investing in property just as easily as you can speculating in the share market.[

The debate raged on for another two months and then post number 221 on 11.11.2008;

Code:
What I am saying is that the credit squeeze overseas is going to continue to get worse in 2009 and 2010 as we are only part way through the collateralized debt obligation mess. Too much faith is put on what governments can do to fix the problem. 

The problems that Japan went through in the 1990's is some indication of how long this will go on. At least a decade. You cannot drop trillions off of balance sheets with no ongoing consequences.

Like it or not we are directly tied to the international money markets. Paul Keating was quoted yesterday as saying the peanuts at the reserve bank are dreaming. He is optomistic says it will last only 8 years Ed Chan talks about having a seven year buffer now for your investment property. A year ago he too was gung ho on using a property trust to negatively gear up to the eye balls.

The property investing game is not stagnant. Things change. Negative gearing is not a smart strategy now. That means you need to change your focus..... Think and grow rich.

Then on post number 317 on the 11.11.2008

Code:
The reality is there has not been a financial melt down like the world is experiencing this time since 1929. Talk that here in Australia the worse case scenario is a 1970's like recession or a 1987 crash is just ludicrous.

We are only at the beginning of a very long and painful adjustment. I am not anti-property, my continued concern is with the mentality that you can continue to finance your property acquisitions with 80% borrowed funds. Yes interest rates are going to continue to decline and yes rents will continue rise and the yields will go up to historical means, for residential property of about 7-8% during the prolonged soft depression.

You are seeing the results of greed and now fear that is taking hold of every asset class. If things really turn nasty then some form of rent control will be implemented like what occurred in the dirty thirties here in Victoria.

The nonsense about how the stock market/aka/ property markets bounced back in 1931 and if you were not in the market you missed out beggars belief. Share values and property markets did not recover their pre 1929 value until 1953/54.

There will always be property nuggets that some people will point to during the hard times as proof that property is a safe sure bet. In the next two years there will be a lot of purchases undertaken with the idea that time in the market beats timing. What a lot of property disciples are going to discover is that that so called golden nugget is nothing more than fools gold.

The laws of sound property fundamentals is all about numbers. In the recent past this has been corrupted by the negative gearing slant. In the 1990's it could be justfied. With the tax rates today, plus the state government and council bandits the equation has changed.

In the recent past I have been able to call the stock market crash because of all the signs using the internet. Until recently a lot of SS posters scoffed when I spoke about the reserve bank dropping its rates to 2%. I note at the moment the call is for the reserve rate to drop to 3.5%

We also have a lot of misinformation put out by the real estate industry, the banks and the government continuing to spin the Australia is different our banks and property markets are rock solid. If you wish to continue to believe in a fairy tale......

Most SS investors are exposed because they have too much gearing. Gearing is a double edged sword. In good times it multiplies gains in bad times it eats you alive particularly when faced with a collapse in values.

Then there was my assertion about fiat currencies perhaps I didn't make this clear enough because on many other posts I have made the point that because of the world banking system being insolvent due to the fractionalised reserve banking system. Well over a year ago I mentioned on this site that througout history whenever governments have abandoned gold as the backer of value inevitably governments came unstuck and had to return to the gold standard.

On a thread entitled AUD .38 a question for NR, on posting number 34 on 17.11.2008;

Code:
The reality is there has not been a financial melt down like the world is experiencing this time since 1929. Talk that here in Australia the worse case scenario is a 1970's like recession or a 1987 crash is just ludicrous.

We are only at the beginning of a very long and painful adjustment. I am not anti-property, my continued concern is with the mentality that you can continue to finance your property acquisitions with 80% borrowed funds. Yes interest rates are going to continue to decline and yes rents will continue rise and the yields will go up to historical means, for residential property of about 7-8% during the prolonged soft depression.

You are seeing the results of greed and now fear that is taking hold of every asset class. If things really turn nasty then some form of rent control will be implemented like what occurred in the dirty thirties here in Victoria.

The nonsense about how the stock market/aka/ property markets bounced back in 1931 and if you were not in the market you missed out beggars belief. Share values and property markets did not recover their pre 1929 value until 1953/54.

There will always be property nuggets that some people will point to during the hard times as proof that property is a safe sure bet. In the next two years there will be a lot of purchases undertaken with the idea that time in the market beats timing. What a lot of property disciples are going to discover is that that so called golden nugget is nothing more than fools gold.

The laws of sound property fundamentals is all about numbers. In the recent past this has been corrupted by the negative gearing slant. In the 1990's it could be justfied. With the tax rates today, plus the state government and council bandits the equation has changed.

In the recent past I have been able to call the stock market crash because of all the signs using the internet. Until recently a lot of SS posters scoffed when I spoke about the reserve bank dropping its rates to 2%. I note at the moment the call is for the reserve rate to drop to 3.5%

We also have a lot of misinformation put out by the real estate industry, the banks and the government continuing to spin the Australia is different our banks and property markets are rock solid. If you wish to continue to believe in a fairy tale......

Most SS investors are exposed because they have too much gearing. Gearing is a double edged sword. In good times it multiplies gains in bad times it eats you alive particularly when faced with a collapse in values.

So red hot chillie for you to suggest that this crisis is akin to the Asian financial mess.... sorry mate I wish it were true.... we won't be able to spend our way out of this mess the world financial system at the moment is on a life support system

some data:
s&p pe ratio.gif
s&p pe ratio2.jpg
I don't see much value in the S&P in US.
But of course Australia is different....:rolleyes:

Back