Croydon, Victoria

Any opinions on this outer eastern suburb of Melbourne? We are planning to buy our first PPOR there. I notice there are heaps of units and townhouses in croydon too.

I like Croydon

Compared to some of the surrounding areas like Bayswater, Mooroolbark, etc I quite Like Croydon. Good train acccess and lots of nice cottage style house on large blocks. Yes that entire region seeing alot of subdivisions due to the large blocks so that needs to be considered. Not nice being the only house on a street full of units and renters.

The golf course is about to be subdvidied which will lower the prices of some of the fantastic house that currently surround it.

As inner city gets more expensive these types of suburbs will continue to grow in demand. Probably the plumb medium level type of suburb atrrractive to first home buyers with 350-400 to spend.

I have a copy of Median House Prices 1994-2005 (Valuer-General's), more than happy to share any info I have with you....I don't have any IP's in Croydon, I am closer to Vic northern regional cities and have IP's there...(just so you know).

Croydon: Median House Price: 1994: $114,000.............MHP: 2004: $270,000..........Change of: 137%

Also: (courtesy of Victorian Valuer-General):

Top Performing Eastern Suburbs: (Melbourne) 1994-2004

East:

East Melbourne:.....(change 1994-2004) 269%........(growth PA) 14%........(change 2003-2004) 37%......(2004 median) $987,500

Ashwood:.............231%.........12.7%......7%.......$400,000

Kilsyth South:.......203%.........11.7%......6%........$330,000

Ashburton:............198%.........11.5%.....minus 1%.......$527,500

Abbotsford:...........193%.........11.4%......2%.........$418,000

Thanks aussierouge and our obsession. I will keep all this in mind. I have noticed there are heaps of subdivisions going on! Arriving too late, bugger!

hi, i live in croydon, have done for 5 years and its done very well for me, its a very large suburb and there are good and and not as good areas( i would have said bad areas 5 years ago,but the ferals have all gone now!) there are some good buying in croydon south at the mo, which has had litlle growth until recently, plenty of big houses on big blocks, which u can subdivide down the track if u want. croydon north is a newish suburb, mostly 20-30 yrs old and a lot smaller blocks ave 5-600 sqrs, bit more expensive, is o.k but not much charcter.

if you want any specific info you can call me or email or whichever, when are you looking at buying?? you can have mine in 12months, 4 bed +study completely reno'd ext spa, double carport on 1100sqrs ina no through road close to the dorset golf course....... wayne

I have 2 properties in Ringwood (neighbouring suburb) but have been looking at the croydon area for future IP's as the area has more appeal in terms of a Main st and community compared to Ringwood. Also the prices are a tad cheaper. Like others have mentioned there are great, nice and not-so-nice pockets of Croydon all split by Maroondah Hwy and Canterbury Roads.

I have 2 properties in Ringwood (neighbouring suburb) but have been looking at the croydon area for future IP's as the area has more appeal in terms of a Main st and community compared to Ringwood. Also the prices are a tad cheaper. Like others have mentioned there are great, nice and not-so-nice pockets of Croydon all split by Maroondah Hwy and Canterbury Roads.

So which part is the nicer part of Croydon? Between Maroondah Hwy and Canterbury Roads?

So which part is the nicer part of Croydon? Between Maroondah Hwy and Canterbury Roads?

Have a look at Richardson Rd, Just of Yarra Rd which runs around the top of a small high point, which has views of the Yarra Vally, also this hill is in VPO, great native vegatation and trees.

Or the Area around Dorset/Mt Dang.../Hull rd is quite nice.

Lusher and Vinter Ave's boarder industrial areas, and while properties are cheap, I think the class of tennant is less than desirable in many instances.

Richardson is nice, and so is the area behind McAdam Sq. McAdam Sq homes are all on biggish blocks and the subdivisions are starting. Close to buses, and Maroondah Hwy, but a little far to walk home from the train (and all up hill)

Cheers
Buddybee.

I have a rental property on Leigh Rd in Croydon... It is just a small 2bd rm unit and i think it has done very well for itself.....

I think with the bypasses now open its turned out well for croydon....

as above....lusher and vinter have lower quality homes and tenants in them... My friend used to rent on vinter and it wasnt anything flash....

Hi there :

I am looking for my PPOR ....my 1st home in Aus ..... 2 bedroom 1 bth Unit in Croydon ....on Alfrick road ... off the Mt. Dandenong road and close to station( Croydon ).

Asking price $245K .....

What do u guys think bout this? I am almost a beginner ....

Thanks

LIW

well .... is there any other suburb closer to CBD where I can get 2 bdr 1 bth within 250K and close to station?

More importantly the location that I mentioned in Croydon, what do u guys think about that?specially any problems with drug, theft etc?

I am going to inspect it on Sunday neways.

well .... is there any other suburb closer to CBD where I can get 2 bdr 1 bth within 250K and close to station?

Heaps; Melbourne's high price band is extended towards the east and the bay as these are seen as more desirable suburbs. Hence for bargains closer to the city you go north or west or south-east.

You'll find them in Reservoir (just), Sunshine, Noble Park, Essendon, Lalor, Chelsea (same distance but bayside), parts of Altona, Glenroy and Springvale.

Peter

Peter,
You didn't mention Footscray. Least expensive units in Melbourne (REIV median June qtr).
Is Footscray gentrifying? Big discrepancy between houses and units, so might expect units to experience good growth?

Hi there

thanks a lot for your reply.

However from normal feedback of ppl suburbs like Noble park, Springvale, Footscray,Sunshine and even Esseson are bit disturbed.

Can u guys pls mention the good pockets of these suburbs where I can go and inspect. This would be my PPOR ... so factors like living with family, proximity to transport and supermarkets are very important.

Regards,

LIW

Any opinions on this outer eastern suburb of Melbourne? We are planning to buy our first PPOR there. I notice there are heaps of units and townhouses in croydon too.

Hi Holt

Having lived out this way for more than twenty years, raised three lovely young adults here, and operated a number of businesses close to and in the Main Street I can heartily recommend Croydon as a great place to live and raise a family.

There are more and less attractive places in the post code as you would expect anywhere, and the capital growth has been as good, and sometimes better, than anywhere else. As landlords, we have never waited long for a tenant and are generally happy with the returns.

We have a variety of property here and they all seem to have done OK. It's also a friendly sort of area and has good recreation facilities, excellent schools, reasonable shopping across the region and good public transport.

It pays to drive around and get to know the area. Older parts of Croydon are undergoing regeneration and most streets have good quality street trees and there are some lovely views of the Ranges.

We live in one of the dormitory areas so don't have much in the way of shops close by, but do have a Tele-Bus which will come to your door if you ring the bus company and book the bus.

It really depends on what you are looking for, but in the nine years we have lived where we are now, fewer than ten houses have come up for sale, so I guess once we get here and settle in, there isn't much incentive to move anywhere else!

Good luck looking for your new home
Regards
Kristine

Hi Kristine :

that's a good input .....

any recommendation / suggestion about the place off the Mt. Dandenong Road close to the station? I am also trying to buy my first PPOR - a 2 bdr 1 bth Unit!

Cheers!

Back