crushed rock driveway

Gday peeps.

we are currently subdividing a block in Geelong and we are nearing the stage where we are to replace the existing driveway(bad condition) and extend it to service the rear property.

the council permit states:
" construct the common property driveway surfaced with an all weather seal coat".
Im assuming a compacted crush rock driveway comes under these requirements(i shall keep you all informed-ringing them on tuesday))

Has anyone used a crush rock driveway and what results did you get and also are they council-worthy?
All replies are welcome.

kind regards
dags

we used crushed granite for a boat parking area. it took a while to compact down but became very hard and looked pretty good. only problem was keeping the weeds out - but nothing a quick spray at any offending green with some roundup every month didn't solve.

I am not a big fan I must admit. A few years back, I visited a friend who had a crushed rock drive. There had been recent rains & some of her crushed rock had drifted onto the footpath near the letterbox which was on a slope. I fell as the crushed rock slipped beneath my feet & to this day, I still experience pain in my wrist where I landed. Of course, I have never told her.

Also, I would imagine that small amounts of crushed rock would become embedded in the soles of footware & damage flooring inside the house.

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, just some food for thought!

Above Average

I've got it and I hate it. Same reasons as above. As much as we are careful, our jarrah floors have taken a hit. Call me softy as well but if you're in a hurry with no shoes on and you have to take the driveway...oooooh painfull.

Dean

I would assume that to mean a 'spray-seal' driveway at least. It's like asphalt, but quite a bit cheaper. Instead of laying on a hotmix and rolling that out, the ground is prepared & compacted, then a tack coat is applied, then the gravel is applied. The gravel bonds to the tack coat, forming a hard surface. It's not as durable as asphalt obviously, the stones tend to come loose after a while, but it should satisfy the council requirement.

If you are able to use crushed rock, I would recommend CTQR - That's Cement Treated Quarry Rubble. It is finely crushed rock mixed with cement which, when watered during the compaction process, hardens like concrete. I would only use this if you have good falls / drainage, otherwise it will scour (ruts will form) and you'll just have to redo it. I would always say spend a bit more on doing the job properly the first time, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Back