Disappointed

Put an offer on a house we fell in love with (PPOR) accepted, very very excited to move as currently we are stuck in a 1 bedroom place with a baby, 2 dogs and under the flight path and have been looking for awhile for the perfect house for us.

Building and Pest was to be conducted yesterday and 3 hours prior to the inspection r/e forwarded us an email from the sellers?

"When we purchased the property 10 years ago we acknowledged that there was some settling of the house however it was considered insignificant and the house was structurally sound. No further settlement has taken place during our ownership and the house has been checked recently by qualified builders and engineers and found to be structurally sound. These qualified people advised that further settlement is considered very unlikely especially given the amount of time that has passed and the age of the home.

It is also interesting that the demolition and rebuilding of the house next door has had no impact on our house whatsoever, so we can assume that the ground is very stable. Apparently there was a lot of impact at ground level when these works were carried out. So we are pleased that we were not affected.

All work done on the house is council approved. We have paperwork, however the purchasers will likely receive their own confirmation of this during searches.

Could you please pass this information on to the purchasers."

Some dot points from the engineers report
-The house appears to be well maintained with no obvious outstanding maintenance required.
-A visual examination of the structure both externally and internally revealed very little structural distress or evidence of damage caused by gross foundation/floor slab movement, as is normally the case when houses move.
-In summary, the results of the Laser Level Survey around the exterior of the building found that settlement of the foundations has occurred at some time. The extent of the settlement from the rear master bedroom corner (R/H back corner) to the front bedroom corner on the R/H side of the building was measured as progressively dropping or falling 145mm over the length of the building.
-A variation of the foundation levels in areas around the dining/lounge room was also observed, with a gradual but distinct fall from the rear L/H back corner of the house (dining room) to the front L/H corner (lounge room) totalling 50mm.
-The results of the Hydraulic Level Survey across the interior floor surface of the building found that settlement of the concrete floor slab has also occurred that closely reflects that found in the external foundations. The extent of the settlement from the rear master bedroom to the front bedrooms in the extended part of the building was found to be progressively dropping or falling 167mm over the length of the building.
-A comparison of the floor slab levels in the dining/lounge room areas also found a gradual but distinct fall from the back L/H corner of the house (dining room) to the front L/H corner (lounge room) of 34mm
-Given the age of the building, the settlement over-all is considered significant.
-The evidence would suggest that, given the age of the dwelling and the method of construction, further gross movement is not considered likely, however minor movement (secondary consolidation) may continue to occur due to environmental conditions (the marine clays) below the surface of the ground.
-CONCLUSION:
As with any foundation/floor slab movement on a compressible marine clay base, on going monitoring is always recommended. If in the unlikely event that further gross movement continues to occur, then please do not hesitate to contact us for further advice.

So next step is my husband is going to speak to the engineer today, firstly extend building clause as expires tomorrow (only had 7 days)

Totally and utterly devastated

Stepping into the house you can not tell there is any angles unless you roll a marble on one of the bedroom floors

We plan on living in the house for 10 plus years but the main concern is re sale in the future would obviously cause us issues if not fixed

So what do we do now - obtain a quote for underpinning or whatever would rectify the issue, (have been told roughly between $50-$100k). reduce offer to less the quote and then walk away from the house if offer not accepted???

Is it dodgy that this was only brought up from the agent 3 hrs before inspection, what was the point of initial price negotiations, surely they didn't think anyone would just accept this and buy the place anyway.

Last edited:
The vendors are letting you know... i think thats a nice thing.

Inspection reports are always going to show the worse. The inspection report i had done for my sister in law said the roof in bad condition and leaks "may likely" occur. Called up a roofer to inspect (I've used the roofer before, good guy), he came out and had a look. Said if you want to fix it you can, but its not necessary.

End of the day, the inspection report is written in a manner than covers their own back side. Litigation is common these days, so who can blame them.

By all means, try and negotiate a lower price, but its something you like, then take it. Its not like its termite damage and its about to collapse. They have stated that "monitoring is recommended"

The evidence would suggest that, given the age of the dwelling and the method of construction, further gross movement is not considered likely, however minor movement (secondary consolidation) may continue to occur due to environmental conditions (the marine clays) below the surface of the ground.

Well you pay the engineer to inspect the property and they will find a problem since no residential building is 100%...I think it would be na?ve to think that. I'm sure the price reflects that already. From what you've posted it sounds pretty normal for a 20-30 year old place...underpinning would be an extreme thing to do and is usually only required for other properties if you are building near a border.

You've got 6" of fall from front to rear and 1 1/2" on the other side. No mention of differential settlement (across the width of the slab). I'm waiting for the crack. If the slab hasn't settled uniformly, there will be built up stresses that will cause the slab to crack, walls, ceilings and services can also be damaged too.

I would be seeking a second opinion especially from an engineer. If need be check your options regarding support and relevelling the slab eg uretek etc.

:eek:

You've just saved yourself 180k and lots of heartache. What's the problem?
missed this part?
Put an offer on a house we fell in love with (PPOR).

There are a few straws that you could clutch to thinking this house is still worthwhile buying, e.g. it hasn't moved in 10years, the movement hasn't affected serviceability (livability). But the warning signs couldn't be any more clear. The house is built on highly reactive soil, or there was a gross inadequacy in the sub-base preparation.

House movement can be very irregular. It can stabilise for 10 years, then factors out of your control can change and open up that can of worms again e.g. extreme weather, a fault in your sewer/stormwater pipe, neighbours plant a tree, surcharge loading, the list goes on..

Run fast.. and fall in love with another house :)

Engineer said it's quite bad and estimated $180k to fix

Have second guy coming out Thursday but not looking good

Been in similar scenario, got many opinions, builders, engineers, architects.... don't do it, will do your head in.
Even if you purchased the property you will never be satisfied, take it from someone who has been down this road.

Start looking for another property and have a happy life:) You don't need the stress.

Cheers
MTR:)

maybe they notified you 3 hrs before as they knew you were doing an inspection and would find it out.
but if you hadnt done an inspection you wouldnt of known.

I'm a little confused about all the negative replies ... what I read in the report this a house, built on clay, has settled a total of 5cm in one direction and 16cm in another.

For a house that is on clay, 10 years old, and acknowledged as settled, I wouldn't have thought this major unless it was a tiny slab.

The engineer has stated in his conclusion that this settling is not considered major and further movement in unlikely. So, what is the issue? Why has the engineer said it is minor and unlikely to worsen - yet turns around and says $180k to fix?

Having bought and sold many properties, I have learnt to read through the "butt covering" language of the inspections.

One recent example was damp on an external brick wall - major doom and gloom - so rang the inspector who advised that if we had simply rang, told him the age of the house and said it was double brick, he would've told us there was damp on the southern wall without even bothering to look ... it just wasn't an issue but the inspection made it sound like the end of the world.

One we recently had up for sale came up full of "defects" such as the roof having a slight bow - well - the roof structure was around 100 years old with no damp, structural or termite damage - but the buyers pulled out as the report made it sound like it was going to fall down at any moment and the builder recommended replacing the entire roof at substantial cost.

You will find - as you continue to buy and sell - no house is perfect.

I know no house is perfect and building reports always come up with issues. I guess as much as I loved the house the report did say major, the quotes were costly and I didn't want to spend $$$ renovating for it to get worse in the future as well as on selling issues down the track.
It has now sold before auction for the same price we were going to purchase it for.
Wonder if the buyers for a building inspection or were advised of the problem and didn't think it was an issue.

Back