Current/ex-military types...

Lacasa at Swanbourne I think you were there when one or two of my mates were..some of them working for us now.. damn small world..

G'day Matt007,

It is a small world, I still meet some ex regiment guys in all coners of the world! and I'm sure many more a lurking around the doing some interesting stuff.

Lacasa

Well said tracey, agree totally.

It reminded me again just how much I respect those who serve. I was only in the military during peacetime, and never really faced any prospect of being deployed operationally, so I don't count myself. ;) But boy, times have changed in the past decade, and the whole military is much more operationally-focused than it used to be (and rightly so).

Seeing the work that's being done in Afghanistan, and undoubtedly in Iraq and other theatres, had a profound impact on me. It was, I confess, much more dangerous than I'd imagined. The training that these Commandos, in particular, go through is first-class, and incredibly tough. I respect anybody who can get through it, let alone go on to put it into practise whilst being shot at, and trying to avoid IEDs.

Let's all spare a thought at this time of year for all those families who are separated because a loved one is serving, and also for all the innocent Afghani, Iraqi, Palestinian, Israeli, and other civilians who have been caught up in conflicts.

G'day Matt007,

It is a small world, I still meet some ex regiment guys in all coners of the world! and I'm sure many more a lurking around the doing some interesting stuff.

Lacasa

Yeah mate.. this is true.. well if you're in brissy drop me a line some time.
cheers mate!

RAAFie, started at basic the day Sadam invaided in fight for the sandpit part 1
Started at RADS as a COMSOP 5/90

have loved reading about others waries
especially the pizza run
when posted to Butterworth we used to arrange an esky of chicken burgers to be picked up by whom ever we knew on the flight up.
have alot more but they are not for this forum or a to long ;)

Currently working as a contractor at defence in Canberra

RAAFie, started at basic the day Sadam invaided in fight for the sandpit part 1
Started at RADS as a COMSOP 5/90
Ah, similar vintage, Monty. I know one of your RADS instructors, I'm pretty sure.
Monty Burns said:
have loved reading about others waries
especially the pizza run
when posted to Butterworth we used to arrange an esky of chicken burgers to be picked up by whom ever we knew on the flight up.
I love how nearly all RAAF "warries" involve take-away food... LOL

the army sends its troops out to fight
the navy sends everyone out to fight
the raaf sends its officers out to fight.

or

the army sleeps under the stars
the navy navigates by the stars
the raaf books its accomodation by the stars

Back