Current state of Canberra market

Any thoughts from the Canberra locals on the state of the market post budget announcement? From the open homes I've been to, it was very slow before the budget...and its still very slow now. Not that that's the story i'm hearing from agents though!

Seems like lots of supply is going up...but I might just be imagining that.

I've been watching a small area in North West Canberra very closely for a while now (comments below are based only on a small area I am familiar with).

The rental market has been bad for a couple of years - rents have dropped considerably and there are, generally, a lot of properties available to rent.

The first few months of this year there were a lot of properties for sale...but interestingly the rental market picked up a bit - lowest number of rentals available for about 2 years (in the small area I watch). I'd say a lot of people were selling up and then renting.

I've noticed over the last 2 months or so, the number of houses for sale, in my area, has dropped by about a quarter (from a high earlier in the year)- this could be seasonal. But it definitely isn't rising. Houses are also selling relatively quickly.

Prices havent really moved - perhaps a small drop, but nothing significant.

People are worried about their jobs, but we havent seen widespread cuts as yet. I know some people who have taken redundancies - however this has been a good thing for them. I dont know of anyone who has involuntarily had to leave their job as yet, however I know there is some concern, including within my household, that this will occur.

Business as usual at the moment.

Back