DA for neighbouring lot. Privacy concerns.

G'day all,

So today I found out that me neighbouring lot is doing a knockdown and rebuild of 2x2 Storey dwellings and 4x1 Storey dewellings wirth attics.

My property is south facing, with my entire backyard is north facing. Clear visibility on both Western and Eastern fronts.

With their proposed development, I fear that their 2 storey dwellings, and their 1 storey dwellings with an attic will have clear visibility of my yard from the Western side.

I am after some advice on how I can request to limit their visibility somehow for their development.

According to their plans, all their buildings will be East facing (which is the direction to my property). Thus, their bedrooms (I am guessing being on the 2nd level) will have visibliity of my yard.

a. I am thinking about writing to the council and letting them know my concerns.

b. However, Is there anything specific that I should include (or mention) in my letter to the council so they take consideration of my concerns more seriously ?

c. Are there any government legislation documents that I can review to see if their plans are following the legistlation to the tee ?

They should be providing privacy screens on those windows. Council will probably put a condition on requesting these.

How far are the windows from the property boundary?

Good morning Ideo,

I have uploaded some attachments for reference.

The RED parts are the windows that could have visibility to my property.

Unfortunately, even squinting my eyes.. the plans don't really say how far they are from the boundary. But they are relatively far away.. in that it isnt' right on the boundary line.

My guess would be 3-4 meters.

My thinking is, because it is a 2 storeydwelling, or an attic upstairs that they could still see my entire backyard.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.png
    2.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 69
Extensive setbacks by the looks of things.

A simple letter to council requesting the provision of privacy screens or a similar treatment would minimise impacts.

In reality, it's an urban area, and you will have people building around you. Mitigation is the best approach.

I would have thought that privacy issues would be one of the things looked at by the council or private certifier even if you don't raise it yourself.

When we spoke to a town planner years ago when we bought the house behind one we already have to see what we could put on the bigger block, he said that privacy issues would have to be addressed and worked around as part of any plan we had drawn up.

Request that any window on the sides which overlook your property are either 1800 mm above finished floor level (so they cannot look)or are glazed with opaque glass & are only awning/hopper windows (so they cannot slide the windows open to look out). That usually works for me - pleases the neighbour no end.

Privacy issues with D.A.

We are looking at doing a development in Brissy and reading the city plan there are several references to screens and privacy issues if other properties are impacted by it. It seems to be a done deal that there must be provisions for this issue.
I would be very surprised if Sydney did not have similar rules and guidelines but better to address it and find out than trying to deal with it afterwards!

Back