Damage to property not reported by property manager

Hello all,

I've had the same (good) tenant for the past 3+ years, i have not seen this property since. recently due to baby nearly coming into my life, I decided to sell this property.

My property inspection reports have nothing to indicate any issues, but the sales agent has come through with photoes to show damage such broken glass, floating floorboards not lying to the ground, broken bathroom sink etc.

Even that the tenant has raised concerns but I was not made aware of. I have landlords insurance through this PM as well. I don't know what legal recourse, if any, I would have in regards to the PM not advising of such issues or arranging repair through insurance?

Hello all,

I've had the same (good) tenant for the past 3+ years, i have not seen this property since. recently due to baby nearly coming into my life, I decided to sell this property.

My property inspection reports have nothing to indicate any issues, but the sales agent has come through with photoes to show damage such broken glass, floating floorboards not lying to the ground, broken bathroom sink etc.

Even that the tenant has raised concerns but I was not made aware of. I have landlords insurance through this PM as well. I don't know what legal recourse, if any, I would have in regards to the PM not advising of such issues or arranging repair through insurance?

What did your PM say when you confronted them with your issue?

Hi Rixter,
Being the weekend an only just seen the pics, I have only sent a please explain email. Hopefully I get a reply.

I'm just wandering if anyone else have had the same situation previously?

There are often issues that do not affect a tenancy but a property up for sale is a whole different arena.

From the sound of it most of these issues would be wear and tear (especially after a tenancy of several years). Insurance will only cover you for a specific event.
Marg

There are often issues that do not affect a tenancy but a property up for sale is a whole different arena.

From the sound of it most of these issues would be wear and tear (especially after a tenancy of several years). Insurance will only cover you for a specific event.
Marg

No, the tenancy report should detail ALL items. Well mine do. They state for example, bedroom 1- carpet shows slight discolouration, curtains have small rip,
Room tidy and well kept. Loungeroom, burn hole in carpet near door, Scuff marks on walls. etc etc
So if there were any breakages (or even wear and tear) they should have been listed on the report which should be done every 6 months.

So if there were any breakages (or even wear and tear) they should have been listed on the report which should be done every 6 months.

+1

I also fail to see how broken glass (window?), broken bathroom sink and floorboards removed from the floor are wear and tear, and how they are not listed on a routine inspection.

I would understand a missed cigarette burn mark in the carpet, as furniture could easily cover these and depending on the colour can be hard to see, but not broken windows and bathroom sinks! :eek:

There are some issues that don't affect tenancies, but may make the property better presented. Ie. painting.

Such a variation in re s. Maybe someone should set up a database where people can rate/write views on the various re s around the country :)

Such a variation in re s. Maybe someone should set up a database where people can rate/write views on the various re s around the country :)

What a fantastic idea.
I have some opinions on some so called "Property Managers" that I would love to get out.
Can you be had for slander if you're stating a personal opinion based on your experiences?

What a fantastic idea.
I have some opinions on some so called "Property Managers" that I would love to get out.
Can you be had for slander if you're stating a personal opinion based on your experiences?

I have a very strong opinion about a arrogant and underhand real estate agent on the Lower North Shore of Sydney who does not understand basic legislation.

As his name is attached to the estate agency in question you think he would be more professional.

I rented a place through them for 18 months before an inspection was held. That inspection couldn't be held because they had lost the key :rolleyes:

Back