Damp spot under house

Hi ,

I recently inspected a potential purchase that had a damp spot under the house. It wasn’t a puddle of water or anything like that, but the soil was fairly damp in an area approx 2m x 1.5m.

Is this a major concern? The area is the lowest spot under the house and is surrounded by a retaining wall. The house has had termites in the past – but the agent assures me they are gone and I couldn’t find any sign of them. Ant caps etc. are installed. The floorboards above the damp spot have pinholes in them, which suggests borers have been present. But structurally everything seemed fine.

I’ll obviously get a building and pest inspection if our offer is accepted, but any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
LMac

How old is the house? Is it all up on piers? Is the wet patch below the retaining wall cut? Are there any underground water or sewer pipes in the vicinity?

Take a shovel or mattock out and have a dig around. A picture may also help us to form an opinion. :)

Well, its winter so you'd expect cold=> rain => puddles => low evaporation so a damp patch isn't exactly unexpected but ... under the house? That means either the fall of the land means the water is running under there and pooling (bad) or there's a broken pipe.

You'd be looking for a person sized sunken patch :D

We actually have major subsidence in our backyard (and resulting low, damp patch) where our septic tank was moved. It was moved in January - summer - and with the winter rain the backfill dirt where the old tank was has compacted down and really sunk, which explains why there was so much dirt leftover in the first place.

I'm not really fussed, we need to get a new tank in there in a few months anyway so we'll just have more heavy machinery moving dirt around. Meantime, its the lowest point at the bottom of a gentle downward slope so we get a most attractive square muddy puddle whenever it rains :)

How old is the house? Is it all up on piers? Is the wet patch below the retaining wall cut? Are there any underground water or sewer pipes in the vicinity?

Take a shovel or mattock out and have a dig around. A picture may also help us to form an opinion. :)

The house is approx. 70 years old (miner's cottage). The house is supported by brick piers, and the wet patch is below the retaining wall cut. I can see why water under the house would end up here, but it's slightly worrying. The patch is under the dining room - no water services in close vicinity. I'll upload a picture shortly.

Would something like this be a deal breaker, or more likely an easy fix?

If the house is 70 yrs old and there has been no subsidence and you cannot see any obvious cause for the moisture then it may be nothing to worry about at all - just some seepage from the wall. Your building report should determine the issue and it's rammifications if any.

Thanks Rockstar, and everyone else for your responses. I couldn't find any signs of subsidence, so hopefully the damp spot is a minor issue. When/if we get an offer accepted, I'll make sure I'm there for the building and pest inspection and see what the experts say.

Cheers,
LMac

Back