Darrel Lea faces a rocky road.

discretionary retail sales for this sort of product are rocketing. If you can't make this sort of business work in this economy then you could never make it work - time to lay the company to rest or hand the keys to someone more skilled. this is the process that keeps the economy efficient.

it is a voluntary administration, and they are apparently continuing to put money in to keep the company going....... so its not that they are totally broke. Hopefully it will be able to be sold as a going concern.
Otherwise I'm going to need to stock up on Liquorice.....

yeap, lack of innovation is the issue, walk into lindt or max brenners at lunchtime or in the evenings and you can be lucky to get a table.

Complete lack of innovation here ... walking into their stores takes me back to the 80's.

thats the whole idea though, isnt it?
its like a step back in time to the simpler days when you bought a white paper bag of mixed lollies for 10c. (OK, so maybe a bit before the 80's!)

hopefully management gets their just desserts! the whole product range is sickening. And no doubt the administrators will be in there now like a kid in a candy store.

In a sticky situation, management had a meltdown, made a ganache of it and it all just turned to custard.

classic!! Kudos to you and the others who have posted similar, but I liked yours the best.

Now, we wait for Geoff to retaliate with an award winning comeback........

Not the only industry faltering as mentioned/predicted many times in the past 24 months.

who predicted what? EOD poor workmen blame their tools. This industry is booming so you have to be completely hopeless to go broke in this situation. From this thread it seems the owners are feuding and the stores and product range is dated. I too was nostalgic about the phasing out of Paul's Billabong, then I thought realistically i haven't bought one for 30 years so I can't lament too much

with diabetes increasing in australia and a push in awareness to decrease sugar and salt intake - it is a pretty tough industry to be in.

I don't think that has much to do with it.

For example; KFC (Kid Fattening Centre) and Maccas are doing just fine globally...plenty of beached whales wander in and out of their doors each day from what I see.

Also; look at how many kids/teenagers are wandering around with a cigarette in their hand...

You could even add stuff like the TAC initiatives for curbing the road toll/drunk/stoned driving etc.

The messages are not being paid attention to.

I'd say DL is more to do with the cost of their product, and possibly internal admin and management issues, maybe financial mismanagement thrown in as well.

Last edited:
Possibly a case of people reviewing their options and buying similar items that are cheaper elsewhere (supermarket choccies and sweets seem to be heavily reduced all the time now), and the company lacking the aggressive/competitive edge and the brand becoming 'stale' - or a combination of a few things that you can't afford in times when money isn't being thrown around.

There are certainly a few smarties on this thread :).

I don't think that has much to do with it.

For example; KFC (Kid Fattening Centre) and Maccas are doing just fine globally...plenty of beached whales wander in and out of their doors each day from what I see.

Also; look at how many kids/teenagers are wandering around with a cigarette in their hand...

You could even add stuff like the TAC initiatives for curbing the road toll/drunk/stoned driving etc.

The messages are not being paid attention to.

I'd say DL is more to do with the cost of their product, and possibly internal admin and management issues, maybe financial mismanagement thrown in as well.

Maybe so but Maccas and KFC - sell meals as oppose to chocolates being not a meal and more to a snack

Damn - was looking at that sesame crispy KFC chicken on TV - haven't had KFC in years but tempted to have some soon. :)

Back