Darwin property-efffect of Inpex deal?

thanks for your reply, It's really helpfull for my investment decision. I just start my porfolio a year ago, so still in my learning curve. Darwin will be my 4th IP, do you think it's risky in darwin to buy sight unseen as I am in Sydney ?? any idea is much appreciated

It depends really, Id 'prefer' to have a second local opinion personally, just out of fear that next door could be bad or bad street, etc,

I know 2 people who have put their ips on the market in the last 2 weeks in Darwin.
1, family home in Palmerston. Got the price they were asking $518k they paid $460k last october
2. small unit in Northcliffe. Not sure of original purchase price or final sale price but she got offers well over the asking price and offers to buy all furniture as well. Sold within the week.
So there is some confidence in the Darwin market.
cheers yadreamin

It depends really, Id 'prefer' to have a second local opinion personally, just out of fear that next door could be bad or bad street, etc,

thank you, I have in mind property #1 connaught court bakewell, the asking price is $385K, do you think the price has gone up since inpex deal?? please give me some advice about this property if you know the location . Thanks a lot for your inf.

just for your info, there is a Today Tonight program few months ago about Cornwallis St in Bakewell... not too safe I heard... might want a second opinion. i lived there for a few months but find it ok... some might disagree with me.

some parts of Woodroffe are quite nice... try the beginning of Woodroffe Crescent... the 1st left after Chung Wah terrace. drove there a few times before & find them very well maintained with nice family cars :p

also try roseberry... their 416m2 was priced at $45 000 few years back... but those the days... the developers put convenants on their the lots so that the street looks more appealing... but just across the dividng road, is twild wild Moulden... what's the catpital growth for Moulden anyway? Prices were like $199 000 to $250 000 when I was there.

just watch for the old units in palmerston... i find them a concern.

:p

thank you, I have in mind property #1 connaught court bakewell, the asking price is $385K, do you think the price has gone up since inpex deal?? please give me some advice about this property if you know the location . Thanks a lot for your inf.

Thats just behind the Primary School, around the corner from my own residence, it's a great spot and Id have no worries about purchasing just quietly. . ;]

Might be a good time in the Darwin market for those there to jump in a grab a couple of fixeruppers and flog them for a quick cash injection or equity.

Now where can l get a few quick easy loans?::eek:
cheers yadreamin

Not sure how we will handle a larger population? easy, both rents and house prices will rise massively, new land releases are happening but still a big undersupply, the perfect storm for residential property investors.

Hard to get tradies?
again, a building undersupply that is expected to last until around 2015, great news for investors.

I dont really think you're thinking like an investor here, you seem to have a 'tennants' mindset where everything is doom n gloom, that's certainly not the way I see things, Im 100% confident in Darwin property right now and will be purchasing as much as I can.

Shortage of housing that will continue and grow 'worse' rising rents
(simple supply and demand)

You're right, I am probably thinking like a tenant, but I wouldn't expect a tenant to rent anywhere that I wouldn't be happy living in.

It's great to have unbelievable rents but don't forget that there are normal workers here on lower wages, such as nurses, teachers, police, public servants and PAWA workers that still need a place to live. If you've been reading the Not True News editorials, you'll know that people are finding it harder. If the average person can't afford to live here, won't they leave?

I agree that the Inpex deal is great and Darwin is booming, but hopefully the pendulum won't swing too much the other way and outprice the average joe.

On the original subject, I think the suburbs of Lyons and Tiwi (Darwin Northern suburbs) are quite pleasant, close to all amenities (hospital, Casuarina shops) and would be worth a look?

Do you think house prices will settle down once the wet kicks in and the inpex deal is old news?

Cheers

V

You're right, I am probably thinking like a tenant, but I wouldn't expect a tenant to rent anywhere that I wouldn't be happy living in.

It's great to have unbelievable rents but don't forget that there are normal workers here on lower wages, such as nurses, teachers, police, public servants and PAWA workers that still need a place to live. If you've been reading the Not True News editorials, you'll know that people are finding it harder. If the average person can't afford to live here, won't they leave?

I agree that the Inpex deal is great and Darwin is booming, but hopefully the pendulum won't swing too much the other way and outprice the average joe.

On the original subject, I think the suburbs of Lyons and Tiwi (Darwin Northern suburbs) are quite pleasant, close to all amenities (hospital, Casuarina shops) and would be worth a look?

Do you think house prices will settle down once the wet kicks in and the inpex deal is old news?

Cheers

V

Hmmm, I think it's hard to say,
The media has taken a strong liking to the Inpex deal and has been flogging the news that house prices are on the move and will continue,
Just the other day I heard one expert say this
"if you can afford to buy, you should do it right now" true ofcourse and people will listen to the media naturally,

I dont know if things will slow a little this wet,

Yes, I do listen to the average working class that say rents are very high, I do 'feel' for them but at the same time I dont really care because I choose to work full time and also a part time night job because I know the cost of living is expensive here due to many things, I could sit and whinge, but where would any sucessful individual be if they sat there and complained, blaming others for their lack of. I choose to be sucessful and it doesnt bother me that others are being 'hard done by' just persoanally.
I worked very hard to get where I am today, anyone can do that, it's a personal choice/decision, that's all it takes in my opinion.
Its all about mindset, if you 'cant' get anywhere in today's lifestyle then you've made up your mind and not much will ever change, rich dad poor dad.

Hi V,

thanks for the update about NT.

I have contacted some friends in Darwin and they are more positive about the property market than ever...

i would like to hear a bit more about the situation with auction signs increasing... and if its not too pokey, may i know which suburb are you living?

Hi Kero,

No worries, I live in Nightcliff and I've noticed a few auction signs in Rapid Creek, which is the next suburb along. Pretty sure they weren't there last week!

Cheers

V

hello V,

Rapid Creek & Nightlcliff are quite good suburbs- near the beach, near Casuarina SC & big size blocks. However, its an old suburb (just like many northern suburbs except Lyons), some welfare housing & I think some parts are very prone to storm surge. Personally, I think it is quite good suburb.

My very wild bet for those houses on auction would range from $500k to $650k. :rolleyes:

Please keep me posted. :eek:

The Inpex deal has its go and bad points

Most of the worker will be fly in / fly out , the rental market and property market prices will be driven up by the psyhe and heard mentally from the publicity from the media , real estate industry and polticans

MissV has summed it up well, thought Palmerston is now becoming overpriced as is the Nightcliff / Rapid creek area.

There are other suburb that will still grow as they are underpriced

OTPPK

"Most of the worker will be fly in / fly out "

There are fairly decent distances to fly in/fly out to Darwin from other capital cities. Would be expensive to do as well. From Sydney its about 5 hrs. Where would they be flying from?

Would have thought Darwin with a population of 120,000 would have everything a worker wanted (except reasonable priced accommodation for worker and their family).

"Most of the worker will be fly in / fly out "

There are fairly decent distances to fly in/fly out to Darwin from other capital cities. Would be expensive to do as well. From Sydney its about 5 hrs. Where would they be flying from?

Would have thought Darwin with a population of 120,000 would have everything a worker wanted (except reasonable priced accommodation for worker and their family).

Good observation,
Apparently there will be new accomodation built for the direct workers.

The cost to Inpex to fly in/fly out workers is cheaper than subsides accommodation :rolleyes:

Darwin has a crictical shortage of quality rental properties even with all the towers going up in the CBD .

OTPPK

The cost to Inpex to fly in/fly out workers is cheaper than subsides accommodation :rolleyes:

Darwin has a crictical shortage of quality rental properties even with all the towers going up in the CBD .

OTPPK

so where do they sleep when they get flown in?

i think the deal with the workers would be the same as other mining workers in Darwin now. they have a choice of either staying in the quarters provided by the company or the workers can look for their own accommodation with some subsides from the company.

personally, workers with family will re-locate rather than FIFO. maybe the singles might opt for flying home inter state.

Present mining companies in Darwin, the Defence dept & police dept have the same method of providing accomoodation.

:)

Back