Darwin property-efffect of Inpex deal?

Colin Barnett (WA Premier) was on the radio yesterday stating Inpex had advised him they will not make their final decision until early 2010. So he has provided a short list of proposed sights in WA and changed the regulations to make planning approval a lot easier. It seems the "deal" isn't done yet.

yes... read that in today's paper as well...

that'll be interesting... so there was nothing signed or endorsed between the Inpex & NT govt then? or is there?

not sure how it works... there are already news that Inpex workers are buying properties in Darwin already...

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/09/30/6565_ntnews.html

can't imagine how much this guy is getting paid???

beats me :confused:

the more I read the more i realise i know less.... :eek:

will you still buying in Darwin??

Hi Guys,
any ideas about darwin market please, has it cooled down since inpex announcement? I made an offer for one property after a few days of announcement ,but couldn't get it. I think It went rediculous , not sure about now... any ideas is much appreciated
MJ

Hi Guys,
any ideas about darwin market please, has it cooled down since inpex announcement? I made an offer for one property after a few days of announcement ,but couldn't get it. I think It went rediculous , not sure about now... any ideas is much appreciated
MJ

Ha, not just yet my friend ;)
I was looking at prices and whats selling on realestate.com last night, it seems that 3/4 of all median properties are under contract at the moment. . I suspect alot of interstate investor interest combined with the large FHOG and ofcourse the INPEX prospects.

I spoke with a friend the other day who owns a real estate company here and he tells me that things are heating up and that sales are 'steady'

I do know of a couple that have already secured a job with inpex and have been told to re-locate to Darwin in 6 months time.
cheers yadreamin

My wife works as a PM here in Darwin, and she just told me rentals are very slow at the moment, mainly because of the time of the year. Regardless of any further infrastructure activity planned for Darwin, she reckons some of her current and prospective tenants are still concerned about their employment. Any rental enquiries she has been receiving has been at the lower end of the rental market (350 per week and less). Higher priced properties are just not renting as prospective tenants have been telling my wife that what is available is just too expensive. ( ie 450+ per week)

Phil

My wife works as a PM here in Darwin, and she just told me rentals are very slow at the moment, mainly because of the time of the year. Regardless of any further infrastructure activity planned for Darwin, she reckons some of her current and prospective tenants are still concerned about their employment. Any rental enquiries she has been receiving has been at the lower end of the rental market (350 per week and less). Higher priced properties are just not renting as prospective tenants have been telling my wife that what is available is just too expensive. ( ie 450+ per week)

Phil

I agree somewhat and it's cool to hear what PM's are saying,

Just my 2 cents worth also,
The last tenant I had apply on one 2br furnished unit was a woman from interstate on work (took a 6 month lease) offered a higher rent than advertised and also paid 2 weeks from the date she called until the date she arrived just to secure my property, this was in August.

Another eg, last time I rented another property (2br unit in same complex) I had 8 applicants, 1 couple offered $20p/w extra to secure the lease, that was back in June,

Rentals are somewhat seasonal, I cant work out why but they are and Im still trying to work out from experience when I DONT want a lease to end.

I just rented a house because we have a dog in an outer suburb for $440p/w, we were looking for about 4 weeks and applying for houses around that price (which is cheapish for here) because the really cheap ones were in terrible streets n suburbs and I would'nt let my partner live there under any circumstance so we went this route, were suprised to secure the rental after 4 weeks of being let down on our applications.

I agree that people without pets would be looking to rent as cheap as they can in current circumstances for obdvious reasons, BUT, remembering alot of renters and especially the younger generation like to keep up with the Jones' and cheaper rentals in bad locations wont fare as well as half decent 2 bedders in a better suburb if the rents are just a tadd extra but at the end of the day, I just found out how hard it is to rent anything here and we kinda had to take whatever we could get, especially if we were in a hurry, I couldnt imagine what we would've had to do.

Yes I also hear that the best re-letting time is January, Im not sure why but my PM says she has no problems renting anything out then and it's the best time to finish up a 6 or 12 month lease.

...Rentals are somewhat seasonal, I cant work out why but they are and Im still trying to work out from experience when I DONT want a lease to end.

G'day W2BW,

I was just having a think about this also. I think there are a few things to consider.
1. Generally, rental enquiries fall away a bit due to the Wet Season ( when tourist / backpackers go back home ) so Jan / Feb / Mar is probably a good time to secure a 12 month lease.
2. Local and international Uni students commence study in Feb / Mar and finish (generally) in Oct / Nov.
3. Defence Force postings usually coincide with Uni students. Most will be looking for housing ( other than DHA ) mostly in Dec / Jan.

It is a bit of a mix up here too. I do agree that a half decent house in an average suburb will start at about 450 upwards. I work with a few single blokes who like to live in apartments in the city. One mate of mine rents a two bedroom / 2 parking spaces apartment with balcony water views for 350 a week. Between two people, thats not bad. The trend for younger people does seem to be inner city apartment living; and with many new ones being built, the quality is very good.

I'm not too sure on the impact INPEX will make. I assume there might be some demand for managerial staff to have access to housing, but many I would think will be accommodated in 'workers camps'. ( I could be wrong though). Construction not to start until 2010 anyway.

Just a bit of a ramble as these thoughts come to mind.

Phil :)

Last edited:
Financial meltdown won't stop Inpex deal

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/11/27/18561_ntnews.html

"Financial meltdown won't stop Inpex deal

NIGEL ADLAM

November 27th, 2008

INTERESTED: Territory businessman Ken Cohalan at the first of a series of public forums held by gas giant Inpex in Darwin yesterday. BELOW: More than 100 people attended the forum. Picture: Justin Sanson

THE Territory's $12 billion gas plant will not be scuppered by the global economic crisis, resources company Inpex said yesterday.

Chief Minister Paul Henderson admitted rumours were rife in Darwin that the project would not go ahead because of the credit squeeze.

But Inpex external affairs manager Sean Kildare told the first of a series of public forums the gas plant would be built.

"We take a long-term view," he said in answer to a question from the floor by businessman Ken Cohalan.

The gas project will last at least 40 years.

Mr Kildare said there would be great opportunities for Territory businesses and workers during the four-year construction of the plant on Blaydin Point.

"These kind of projects have a voracious appetite for construction resources," he said. "There are real opportunities for local business."

Mr Kildare said the plant would have a "significant effect" on improving the NT economy.

Inpex environmental manager Greg Oliver said dredging in Darwin Harbour to make way for the LNG plant and its jetty would take at least nine months.

In answer to a question from harbour tour guide Jim Smith, he said the dredging spoil would be shipped 38km out to sea to be dumped.

He said a dumping spot had been found that would ensure the spoil wouldn't be washed back into the harbour or on to beaches.

In answer to a question from keen amateur fisherman Colin Hennessy, Mr Oliver said a permanent 100m exclusion zone would be enforced around the jetty. That would be extended to 500m when ships were loading.

Inpex would try to maintain access to the Catalina creeks for fishermen and not move the Catalina flying boat wrecks.

Mr Oliver said Inpex was trying to find the best colour for the building so it would blend in with the background.

"Grey isn't too bad," he said. "But we won't be able to make the plant invisible."

Mr Oliver said corals reefs would be protected and as few mangroves as possible would be removed.

Inpex will hold two public meetings at the Palmerston Golf Club today - 10am-noon and 6pm-8pm. Telephone 8981 6445 for more details."

last wednesday the front page of the west was about alcoa deferring a $2bn project i think it was, this wednesday there was an announcement that shell has sold $20bn of gas and that was graced with p7, meanwhile further back in the paper was a go ahead from BHP and confirmation that the port hedland outer harbor would happen. Seems bad news makes the front cover, good news is shoevd in the middle somewhere.

Back