Deck building advice.

Hi everyone,

I am seeking clarification from someone (hopefully a builder here :)) as to whether or not I can make the distance between post and shorter than 1500 out and 1800 across? I was looking at 1300 out and 1400 across. I can only think that this would make it stronger but want to check it is acceptable before starting my drawings. It is a slightly raised deck, about 500 of the ground.

Thanks all and appreciate any and all responses!!

Yes good point Tools!! It is just between the posts that I am puttin the bearers on to.... Currently sketching up but post 1300 off the house then every 1300 and across the house at 1400...

Yes good point Tools!! It is just between the posts that I am puttin the bearers on to.... Currently sketching up but post 1300 off the house then every 1300 and across the house at 1400...
It may well depend on the foundations,post size,bearers,and joist i have always found that make the timber larger in that area to carry the static load..

For a deck we have had drawn recently, the recommended certifiers given by the draftsman are -

Andrew Everett 3711 3629
Doug Wright 3804 1177
Peter Tyrell 3265 4114

We've used Fastrack a couple of times but not for a few years. It would be worth calling them too.

We have also used Bartley Burns a few times and recommend them too.

Back