Decking - where to get wood in Sydney?

I am currently adding decking to my backyard and having some trouble finding wood for decking

Bunnings doesnt have as much as I need, and if I buy a large quantity (they special order it for me) I won't be able to hand pick the boards.

Is there a timber yard in Sydney with a wide selection that allows me to hand pick enough for around 25 sqm of deck wood?

Or even if I can't hand pick, at least is there a yard where I can see the lots on pallets before I buy so at least I can ascertain quality before buying?

Stratco sell decking kits. They have a warehouse near Blacktown on the Highway. Not sure if you can hand-select the wood or if it is there to pick up but might be worth giving them a call.

Reno Timbers with new timber as well

There is a builders dream timber place that offers primarily demolition timber but i know they have new stuff as well....even if you don't find the decking you like, its worth checking out for all the other stuff they have - and they have HEAPS! I've personally bought some really interesting stuff to make some picture frames (as i do photography as well). Anyway, i cant remember the exact address or street name, BUT if you go to the Fitness First at Brighton Le Sands just south of Sydney's airport and it's opposite that fitness first.

Other than that, i'd just google decking timbers.

Happy hunting!

I hear good things about Danias Timber in Marrickville (but have not used them personally). Might be worth a price check though.

Danias is worth going to just for a wander around.

It must be one of the biggest chunks of privately owned land in the inner west. They also own much of the surrounding property.

Out the back there are impossibly high and ricketty piles of timber that look like they have been there for years. I always give them a wide berth because one of them will come down one day.

They're one of those old fashioned businesses that will do stuff (with a bit of persuading) like dress second hand timber you bring down - provided you agree to pay for replacement blades if an errant nail slips through.

Anyone know what a wooden beam say redwood or such about 20cm square and 5m or so long .....recycled, revitalised, second hand whatever you wish to call it, but with some imperfections..some call it character.....might cost in Oz these days ??

In fact I might start a thread about it...put some pics up

I am currently adding decking to my backyard and having some trouble finding wood for decking

Bunnings doesnt have as much as I need, and if I buy a large quantity (they special order it for me) I won't be able to hand pick the boards.

Is there a timber yard in Sydney with a wide selection that allows me to hand pick enough for around 25 sqm of deck wood?

Or even if I can't hand pick, at least is there a yard where I can see the lots on pallets before I buy so at least I can ascertain quality before buying?

decking timbers are usually sold in packs ,some yards will sell you smaller quantities but they will only pick from the top of the pack ,hand selecting usually carry an extra fee of around 25 percent

Back