Decoding the electricity bill

We have had solar panels since 2012. In the last quarter, we were surprised to receive a bill for $300 or so. Does anyone know where we can go to get the bill checked?

good luck however with utilities such as power, gas, water, council rates, telstra etc it's the case of 'you will pay what we say and when'

good luck however with utilities such as power, gas, water, council rates, telstra etc it's the case of 'you will pay what we say and when'
No it isn't?
If it's anything like W.A. over in NSW, check your meter and see if it is the same as what they have quoted you. It says on the bill the units used, many times their bills are "estimates" and not actual.

We have had solar panels since 2012. In the last quarter, we were surprised to receive a bill for $300 or so. Does anyone know where we can go to get the bill checked?

What provider are you with.

My last bill from Origin was so confusing and like you have solar and received my first power bill in years.

Time for you to checkout some other companies.

No it isn't?
If it's anything like W.A. over in NSW, check your meter and see if it is the same as what they have quoted you. It says on the bill the units used, many times their bills are "estimates" and not actual.

that doesn't change anything, estimates are not readings. When they read it and say it is x, then it is x.

Remove any identifying features (name, address, NMI) and post it on here. I work in the field and am happy to take a look at it.

Thank you for your kind offer Spludgey
I will attach the de-identified bill.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 117
  • FullSizeRender copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender copy.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 106
that doesn't change anything, estimates are not readings. When they read it and say it is x, then it is x.

Agreed, that's what they're saying. Sometimes they don't actually read it, but estimate it based on no science whatsoever and ding you with a massive bill for their laziness. If you read it yourself then call them, they amend the bill to what it should be.

I disputed a bill because the meter reader transposed or misread (can't recall) the numbers, and they were happy to take my word for what it read as it was far more reasonable/likely based on past usage.

I can't see your solar on the bill anywhere, but it does look like you might be on one of the old solar tariffs where you export everything that you consume?
I'm guessing that's the case, as you got a rebate of ~$240 from your solar.
There's nothing obviously wrong with the bill from what I can tell. I'm assuming that "5397" is your solar meter number? If so, the first number makes sense, but I don't know what the next three are.

Sorry, that's about all I can help you with.

Are you sure that the bill isn't correct and you have an appliance that's malfunctioning? If your fridge was defective for example, it can easily double your consumption. Maybe try and work out what changed in June. Going by the bill, that's when your consumption jumped up.

Back